cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting a Diesel Pusher Coach for Full-Timing

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning and preparing for going full-tine when I retire in the next four to eight years. My objective is to embark on this endeavor with an adequate rig with no debt; i.e., obtained and paid for prior to retirement. I understand that ongoing maintenance and repairs are part of the retirement budget.

My DW has expressed a preference for a motorhome and towed vehicle. My current thinking is to purchase a used motorhome, trying to find the optimal value mix of coach price and refurbishment cost. A new motorhome is out of the budget.

I have reviewed numerous threads identifying likely coaches, so I think I am informed regarding brand names.

My questions really deal with aspects I should seek out. I have resolved the gas/diesel question and seek a diesel pusher. I seek something between 34 feet and 40 feet. I have gleaned the following from previous threads:

Engine: I am partial to Cummins, but it appears from a review of ads that Cat and Cummins are highly prevalent and both appear to perform well over time.

Transmission: They all seem to be Allison. I assume more gears are better.

Chassis: It seems to me that Freightliner is to be preferred due to the ready availability of parts and repair network.

Brakes: I have read that hydraulic brakes are to be avoided in a motorhome; air brakes are far more desirable.

Suspension: I gather airbags are the way to go. Also, examine sway control carefully.

Roof: Some prefer fiberglass roof; I think rubber OK, especially if the new approaches such as RV Armor prove to be effective.

Model years: This is quite a conundrum for me. In one respect I think I should focus on models years from the early 1990s through 1998 in order to obtain an engine which is completely mechanical. The assumption here is that it is simply to maintain and less to break. Engine and transmission control electronics become more prevalent with each new model year. I also wonder whether I should stop at model year 2005 or so in order to avoid most of the complicated emissions systems.

Does anyone have other recommendations?

Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
What does the above three items have to do with floorplan??? They do not but that was in another post.

Nothing. Floor plan is a very individual choice, it's like advising a spouse choice. Did I misunderstand the OP's question?

Floor Plan independent, these items have high added value. Tag axle for a high Carry Weight, full time requires more stuff. Air leveling because there is no maintenance while stationary, like wiping them with oil, plus they are usable anywhere you drive without the concern of getting stuck or using pads. Aqua-Hot because you don't have to listen to furnace or water heater, you can take loooong hot showers, you don't have a catchup time, the heat is quiet and even, nearly like hot water radiant heat.

My Dynasty is missing the Tag, it sure would have been nice for storage and drive ability. We have a single slide with a mid door, it felt a bit different at first but we have grown to really like it.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Slides are nice, but I could easily do without them and their assorted problems. My whole family lived in a 10x60 trailer when I was growing up. There were no slides in those days. We were happy if the roof didn't leak. I turned out alright.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
doublev wrote:
If you are going to full-time, get a 45' with 4 slides. Otherwise you are going to regret not having the space.

Not everyone feels this way. Slides don't give you storage space - just floor space. Do two people really need a lot of floor space?

As stated previously, many full-timers do so extremely happy in very small RVs from vans upward. Best friends used a tiny 'Casita' trailer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does the above three items have to do with floorplan??? They do not but that was in another post.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent most of the last 3 years in our Dynasty. Three words; Tag Axle, Agua Hot and Air leveling.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for one that was a commercial passenger/tour bus that was converted to a motorhome. The chassis and body are very heavy duty on those. MCI/GMC, Prevost, BlueBird, International are some of the bus brands.

I agree about getting a pre-emisssions diesel. For CAT and International, that's 2003 and earlier. Up to 2007 have minimal emissions.

Good engines to look for are the Detroit Diesel Series 60, Cummins ISC and ISL, Caterpillar 3126E & C7, International DT/HT 466E and 530E
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to full-time, get a 45' with 4 slides. Otherwise you are going to regret not having the space. 90k is doable. Buy a 10 year old MH that was 250-300k in 2006-2007 (MSRP might have been up to 400k but they discounted well at time of purchase). Maybe you need to pay up to 100k but you will be very happy in my opinion.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
In my opinion if you are going to live in it full time, get as many slides as you can. We enjoy our full slide and the extra slide in the bedroom but don't have a slide on side of the kitchen and living room. If we were full timers we would want the extra slide.;)

We purposely ordered ours with only two slides. We used public parks 90% of our full-timing time, including national forest campgrounds (think...trees). We didn't want to have to maneuver the slides inbetween trees. We wanted the two slides on the same side. We had no problems using our motorhome for this reason.

Slides only give you floor space. They take away storage space and access to your bays.

Everyone RVs differently. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Columns like this show how it is difficult to advise someone else on buying a coach. We ran a 38 foot 2 slide coach for 8 years, and not once did I think I'd have been happier in a longer vehicle or with more slides.

I accept that lots of folks gloat over a 45 foot tagger with 4 slides and a brothel-like interior. It's all what your own lifestyle needs or wants.

We agree totally with obgraham's sentiment. Over the years we've met people full-timing in everything from class B units, trailers, 5th wheels, and 45' multiple slide-out units. Not one of all these people were happier than the woman we met in a laundry in a southern Illinois campground who had been living with her husband for 5 years in a Roadtrek.
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
RUSSELL5000 wrote:
cwdavis,

You expressed my thinking exactly. A Foretravel, Beaver, WanderLodge, etc.

As you said, the key will be careful selection of the used unit.

Russell5000,

I do need to make an important qualification to my earlier statement: our major expenses actually have not been maintenance (tires included), but upgrades. We spend ~$60K to purchase, a dozen years ago, and something on the order of $15K to upgrade over the years. The major upgrade we made was to have the living room totally refurbished with new flooring, new captains chairs, & good quality euro-style recliners. This upgrade replaced the 2 jackknife couches that came with the coach originally, and gave us much more space. One can live without slideouts, and this move really helped to make the coach more comfortable.
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Columns like this show how it is difficult to advise someone else on buying a coach. We ran a 38 foot 2 slide coach for 8 years, and not once did I think I'd have been happier in a longer vehicle or with more slides.

I accept that lots of folks gloat over a 45 foot tagger with 4 slides and a brothel-like interior. It's all what your own lifestyle needs or wants.

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
cwdavis,

You expressed my thinking exactly. A Foretravel, Beaver, WanderLodge, etc.

As you said, the key will be careful selection of the used unit.

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your looking to buy a 20 year old MH? So in 8 years it will be nearly 30 years old. Not real far thinking for full timing. Maintenance cists will eat you alive.

This kind of thinking requires a little qualification: Our 1995 Country Coach Intrigue, which we've owned for a dozen years or so, is running just fine, thank you, and the annual maintenance costs are no higher that those of newer coaches. We live in it full-time, now, and plan to do so until it's no longer enjoyable.

The most costly maintenance costs are tires; everything else, so far at least, is minimal. I take care of the 'house'-side of the coach, and have good mechanics for the chassis, engine, etc. Next year, we'll replace the serpentine belt on the engine, and, maybe, the airbags.

Bottom line as far as we're concerned, a mid-90s coach is very inexpensive to buy, by any comparison, which leaves more room, dollar-wise, to take care of it. The major caveat is, you need to buy a good quality unit (e.g., CC or Foretravel, or equivalent), and it needs to be in good shape.
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

RUSSELL5000
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies,

If I could buy new today I think I would do something like a 40 ft Newmar Ventana or Tiffin Phaeton.

I looked at online ads for 2007-2009 and there seemed to be quite a few in the $60K to $90K range.

Is this what you are referring to?