cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

selling on consignment

don_b1
Explorer
Explorer
Due to health issues we might have to give up the lifestyle we have both enjoyed for many years. If it comes time to sell I don't really want to go through the hassle of trying to sell on my own, even though I realize I will most likely lose money. I will eventually call or visit dealers to see and compare their terms and fees. I am wondering, before I get to that stage of the game, if I can get some suggestions or do's and dont's of the procedure so I can proceed with some knowledge. Thank you, Don. P.S. I should have mentioned in my original post that I will be looking, when it is time, for a dealer in eastern Pa, close to my stick house. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I am learning.
2003 Dolphin Model 5380, Workhorse 8.1, 04 Honda CRV, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Banks System, Garmin 7200.
20 REPLIES 20

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Leland2 wrote:
A PPL requirement is: ''Original title or original registration receipt if you have a lien holder.''

Thought I saw a comment about NOT leaving vehicle Title at a consignment company.

Guess they would need it to sell it. Maybe a copy?

I bought a trailer from PPL and they had the title in hand when we made the deal. It took about two hours start to finish.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
Leland2 wrote:
A PPL requirement is: ''Original title or original registration receipt if you have a lien holder.''

Thought I saw a comment about NOT leaving vehicle Title at a consignment company.

With a huge, well-established firm such as PPL, I would not be concerned.

With "Bubba RV Emporium" I certainly would NOT do it. A copy of front and back of original title with written promise of overnight delivery of original title should/would work there.

I do not believe you have to leave the Title. They want to SEE IT to verify you are the owner and have clear title. You can always state you will fed express the title once the deal is ready to be completed. I would NEVER leave a title with anybody regardless of who they are. They do NOT need that title to sell and get a written contract going. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
Executive wrote:
I don't see the argument that any dealer would try to sell their unit first. They're in the business to sell coaches. They make MONEY selling coaches whether it's one they pay a flooring on or not. Consignments are a means of getting coaches on their lots without paying for the flooring costs. I've never owned a dealership so this is just my opinion, but I did stay at a Holiday Express once......Dennis

I thought I read once that car dealers make more on used car sales than on new cars. might also be true for RVs? I mean you can email price a specific car/rv all over the map, but there are limited numbers of used units that might meet your needs, etc. and there is less competition?
bumpy

As a rule they make more on used Auto's. That is because the Buyer has NO WAY to know how much the dealer has invested in that used vehicle. On NEW, there are hundreds of websites that will show Invoice pricing on new Auto's. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I do not know of any Auto dealers (used or new) that sell consignment Auto's.
2. Consignments at a Dealership that also sells NEW motorhomes is a conflict of interest. That dealership has paid for his NEW units and his USED units and is paying Floorplan interest. So, a SMART businessman will sell HIS Motorhomes FIRST. The problem with some Consignment dealers is, they want those units to help build up their lot and also use them as a comparison to HIS used and new units. ESPECIALLY when the RV'er has an unrealistic price he must have for his RV. If your Consignment is reasonably priced to sell with the added compensation for the Dealer and salesman AND any needed repairs that may be required, the dealer will push selling your unit. Doug

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
At PPL there is absolutely no typical salesperson involved. You casually look on your own. No salesperson will be following you around. If you have questions on a specific RV then the sales person will try to answer it. However, they only know about the RV what the owner has told them. They will do a general inspection of the appliances, etc but I'd highly recommend that you have a complete inspection done before purchasing. It's no different than a used car lot.

PPL will suggest a selling price but we put our own price on it and it sold for that. PPL has an excellent detailing dept. and we had them detail it inside and out. Many owners do not care so you'll get a mix. When you look at used RVs by owner anywhere, you'll find that many have no pride in their RV... never could understand that.

When we were there dropping off our motorhome there were many happy customers leaving after having purchased one. We were astounded at the incoming and outgoing traffic. It's a VERY busy place.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,

Often dealerships have different compensation plans for their salesman-- consignment vs dealer owned. And, it is also common (though less so) for manufacturers to offer salesmen unit bonuses for moving new product.

But, you are absolutely correct-- there is no "here is how they all do it".

This from years running large automobile dealerships.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I don't see the argument that any dealer would try to sell their unit first. They're in the business to sell coaches. They make MONEY selling coaches whether it's one they pay a flooring on or not. Consignments are a means of getting coaches on their lots without paying for the flooring costs. I've never owned a dealership so this is just my opinion, but I did stay at a Holiday Express once......Dennis

I thought I read once that car dealers make more on used car sales than on new cars. might also be true for RVs? I mean you can email price a specific car/rv all over the map, but there are limited numbers of used units that might meet your needs, etc. and there is less competition?
bumpy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We sold ours in one-month's time through PPL in Houston. They are not a small town dealer. They get a LOT of traffic coming through. We were extremely impressed by them.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Leland2 wrote:

With a huge, well-established firm such as PPL, I would not be concerned.

With "Bubba RV Emporium" I certainly would NOT do it. A copy of front and back of original title with written promise of overnight delivery of original title should/would work there.
Brett Wolfe

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Don..you're not too, too far from Lake Alfred FL near Winter Haven. Our son bought a 5ver from Highway RV in Lake Alfred. We were extremely impressed with how they treated him. They appear to be good people. I think a large portion of their lot is consignments. I'm not positive, though, but you can check that out. If we were to sell, I would consider them for consignment.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, just as with most things, all consignment lots (or worse dealers who sell new and also take consignment) are NOT created equal.

There are good ones and bad ones.

Yes, PPL and MOT in Texas both have good reputations.
Brett Wolfe

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I sold mine thru a consignment dealer in WVa. in MD they have to own everything on the lot and couldn't do consignments. I think they charged a certain % instead of a fixed fee. when they sell them they buy them first and theoretically I was out of the picture. when they demo'd it to the buyer it was discovered that I did a poor job of winterizing it and the water heater split. I paid about $200 for the new heater and installation for which they were happy that I was an "honest" man. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy