cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settled on a specific "wish list"--is it out there?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
So after doing LOTS of online looking and giving a lot of thought to my intended use of a motorhome, I've settled on the following wish list:

*B+ with storage but no overhead bunk (will settle for a C with no front window and one-piece design like some Born Free models have

*24' or under (25 is pushing it)

*rear corner bed

*fold out sofa

*either a dinette or second fold out sofa across from the first one

*under $30K

*under 75K miles

*Chevy chassis

*no slide

*within a 10-12 hr drive of my home near Nashville

I realize these other items probably mean a wet bath but I am OK with that.

Does such a thing exist?

I found a unit from a private seller with all these criteria (except it's a Ford), but unfortunately I don't have my cash account quite there yet, will need another year.

My sister's husband is in very bad health and I'm hoping that she will travel with me some if anything happens to him. She would be happier with 2 sleeping areas. And if my adult children travel with me, they could have the corner bed, I would take the sofa, and grandkids could have the other sofa or dinette or floor. (They are pretty small right now.)
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
23 REPLIES 23

aeejbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Circling back to the "dream" list of the OP.
If coolmom42 can settle for 5 out of those 9 items,
then maybe the 24’ 30MH24DB BigFoot – WITHOUT the slide is worth a look.
Not too many are out there, so good luck in tracking one down.

Class C too

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
"I value my passengers and all the others on the road than to take those chances. Yo are driving a time bomb!"

bsinmich, You didn't read my post carefully about "newish" tires !!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
You can become overly concerned about leaky roofs, seldom driven RV's, brand names, weight and balance, steering and suspension mods reading these forums. Not to say that these items are not significant. We have a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q with rubber roof that does not leak, we have had it inspected and re-sealed once. Our rig has newish OEM Michelin tires that I trust and the drive train is in fine shape even though it has only some 10K miles on it. Our rig handles like what it is, a box truck with stiff rear springs and chock full of appliances, converter and batteries. Build quality is average.

Good point!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
You can become overly concerned about leaky roofs, seldom driven RV's, brand names, weight and balance, steering and suspension mods reading these forums. Not to say that these items are not significant. We have a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q with rubber roof that does not leak, we have had it inspected and re-sealed once. Our rig has newish OEM Michelin tires that I trust and the drive train is in fine shape even though it has only some 10K miles on it. Our rig handles like what it is, a box truck with stiff rear springs and chock full of appliances, converter and batteries. Build quality is average.

You trust those 11-12 year old tires? I value my passengers and all the others on the road than to take those chances. Yo are driving a time bomb!
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Aluminum cabover?? What brand of motorhome is this?

Check it out HERE

Thanks!

Looks like the used ones are few and far between but worth checking into.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:

Check it out HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to looking at used Chinook RV's take a look at the older (2001-2004) Coach House Class C units (sometimes called B+). I believe that they manufactured a 23 foot model with two slides, still had a nice bathroom area.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
lazy daze still uses alum, but as recent a maybe the late 90s, there were more. try shasta search.

born free used a one piecs fiberglass for their cabover beds.

you are right to be concerned about cabover leaks, and these forums are full of warnings, but there are more nonleaking class Cs than those that leak, so don't let this get in the way of your perfect RV
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Cousin_Eddie93 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Is it possible to NOT have leak problems with a cabover window?

Absolutely, I have a 93 with king bed cabover with three windows and they've never leaked.

And what do you have to do to them to keep them from leaking?

I understand about Dicor caulk, Eternabond, etc for the roof. I don't think either of those would work very well on windows.

Nothing, my cabover is aluminum with aluminum framed windows thus the seal is air tight although I do need to replace the old rubber weather stripping due to some shrinkage.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cousin_Eddie93 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

Absolutely, I have a 93 with king bed cabover with three windows and they've never leaked.

And what do you have to do to them to keep them from leaking?

I understand about Dicor caulk, Eternabond, etc for the roof. I don't think either of those would work very well on windows.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

Not only is it possible, but any leak is more likely to be caused by hairline cracks around the cabover marker lights. I bought my 'C' new and during the walk through, they pointed out that the cabover marker lights are factory installed with power screwdrivers. If they over tighten, it creates hairline cracks which are covered up by the molding around the lights. Mine was OK, but I'm glad they checked. No leaks in over 30,000 miles. Ask them to check during the walk through.

Thanks!

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote: