Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer Solution

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,
I am a 74 yr. old widow who needs to find a better way to empty a 2004 Roadtrek. I just found "Sewer Solution" (see Camping World) and it looks like a good way to install an inexpensive way to empty the tanks.

Has anyone with a Roadtrek used this method?

Do you have pictures?

Please write with pros and cons. Thank you.

Jean
47 REPLIES 47

markopolo
Explorer
Explorer
I would clean off all the WD40 with soapy water. There's a large rubber O-ring in some fittings that could get weakened by the WD40 over time. I have made up a few sewer hoses with fittings usually finish them with black tape to help make a good seal and I put the hose clamp over the taped section of hose.

I think your idea to try to find a fitting that fits better is a good idea. There will be slight variations in size tolerances between brands. Some may have tabs that help you grip it better.
1997 Custom Van - GMC 6.5l Turbo diesel
My Profile
My Website

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
More problems! I just tried the connection on my Roadtrek and even though I sprayed both the sewer hose and the SS with WD40, I could hardly get it on. Getting it off was almost impossible and the whole "end" of the hose came off with it! I could then disconnect the stinky slinky, but now I'm not sure it's "waterproof" after shoving it back on the sewer hose. This hose was replaced a couple of years ago at the dealership - could they have used an end that was just a little too large? It is held on with a clamp. Could I get a slightly smaller end on the sewer hose that would fit correctly to the Sewer Solution? I could take the camper back to the dealership if so. Anyone else have this problem?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrekker2 wrote:
I received my new Sewer Solution kit and was looking in stores yesterday for a second backflow preventer like the one that came with my SS. I couldn't find one. I've been searching the internet for the person who used two as insurance against preventing contamination, but once again could not find that person. Do any of you know where I can purchase another connection like this to prevent contaminating my fresh water at my house if I need to dump tanks at home (in the basement.) Should I contact a plumber? Should I be worried?

I am going out this weekend to try the SS. Keep your fingers crossed for me! 🙂 (I'll be using a state park dump which has a NON-POTABLE water supply with a threaded end on the hose.)

Thanks.

I use two, one came with the clear plastic sleeve, and one I bought separate at Amazon, one on each end of the flusher hose. It isn't 100%, but is good enough to prevent backflow into fresh water lines.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I could see other than making people wait would be if the CG has a septic tank. Adding much more water to their tank as well as using their water (water costs money) would give me pause,but then again probably no more than your typical class A would use.

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrekker2 wrote:
I received my new Sewer Solution kit and was looking in stores yesterday for a second backflow preventer like the one that came with my SS. I couldn't find one. I've been searching the internet for the person who used two as insurance against preventing contamination, but once again could not find that person. Do any of you know where I can purchase another connection like this to prevent contaminating my fresh water at my house if I need to dump tanks at home (in the basement.) Should I contact a plumber? Should I be worried?

I am going out this weekend to try the SS. Keep your fingers crossed for me! 🙂 (I'll be using a state park dump which has a NON-POTABLE water supply with a threaded end on the hose.)

Thanks.

Go to either the Home Depot or Lowes website and search for "backflow preventer". They both have a number of choices that will fit your "garden" hose.

Separately, if you're dumping at home, why not use one of the exterior (to your home) sewer cleanouts and an exterior hose connection? 'Tis much "safer" IMHO.

Cheers.

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrekker2 wrote:
I have purchased a Sewer Solution, but am worrying a bit about contaminating my fresh water supply when using it as suggested by some reviewers. Could someone tell me how this would happen when they are two completely different systems on a Roadtrek? How could back flushing to clean out the holding tanks contaminate my fresh water? (I would not ever consider using the potable water supply for any of this.)

Thanks a lot.

the only issue is where the hose to the sewer solution and the fresh water hose come in contact. that is why anti reverse flow valves etc. are used. I had a green hose for my SS that was about 30 ft long back to a wye fitting where the white hose was connected. just disconnect the green hose from the SS while it is still running and stuff can't back flow.
bumpy

Roadtrekker2
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased a Sewer Solution, but am worrying a bit about contaminating my fresh water supply when using it as suggested by some reviewers. Could someone tell me how this would happen when they are two completely different systems on a Roadtrek? How could back flushing to clean out the holding tanks contaminate my fresh water? (I would not ever consider using the potable water supply for any of this.)

Thanks a lot.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
I returned from Gabriola Island after a few days dry camping. I tried a procedure to help clear out the black tank and get indicator to EMPTY. I ran the PW up onto two interlocking leveler block on the RIGHT SIDE, front and rear. I used my spray wand connected to the special hose I use for cleanouts. Worked great.First time I have gotten an ''empty' indicator on Black tank monitor. What are the "outside tank sensors'", Bumpyroad?

somebody who has installed them can provide better information. I believe that they work by "induction", stick on the outside of the tanks and are not susceptible to stuff sticking on the probes.
bumpy

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I returned from Gabriola Island after a few days dry camping. I tried a procedure to help clear out the black tank and get indicator to EMPTY. I ran the PW up onto two interlocking leveler block on the RIGHT SIDE, front and rear. I used my spray wand connected to the special hose I use for cleanouts. Worked great.First time I have gotten an ''empty' indicator on Black tank monitor. What are the "outside tank sensors'", Bumpyroad?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have owned a Sewer Solution for about 5 years. But I used it for the first time over the weekend.
I hated it and will only use it again as a last resort. The SS was way to slow, I would never use it at a public dump station if there was a line.
I have a 12 volt macerator and I don't imagine I will ever use the SS again.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpaddler wrote:
I do what mlts22 does:With both black and grey closed, I first dump the black tank then, with it's valve open, I dump the grey which also flushes the black tank. I do not have a macerator. I usually run a gallon or so water from the shower head unit into the toilet which helps clear the black tank. If there is a better way I need to know about it. My only problem is the black indicator level on the panel often shows the black is one third full when it is empty. I replaced the black sensor but still is quirky.

AL

unless you replace the in tank sensors with those that are external, they will always be "quirky".
bumpy

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I do what mlts22 does:With both black and grey closed, I first dump the black tank then, with it's valve open, I dump the grey which also flushes the black tank. I do not have a macerator. I usually run a gallon or so water from the shower head unit into the toilet which helps clear the black tank. If there is a better way I need to know about it. My only problem is the black indicator level on the panel often shows the black is one third full when it is empty. I replaced the black sensor but still is quirky.

AL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I of course use a backflow preventer but since I had the SS connected to a Wye fitting with about a 30 ft long green hose, and my fresh water was also hooked to that wye, I have my doubts that any "nasty" could momentarily swim up 30 ft to the white hose.
bumpy