cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use this stuff? We were getting that chalky finish with faded and peeling graphics. I was waxing it with Meguiars--trying to avoid the graphics and spray them with 303 Protectant instead. I spray the dirt off after almost every trip too. We've only had it 15 months--I hated to see it get "old looking" under my care.
Replant just mentioned Lowes Red Max Pro and I read the links. Wow! Why not take the chance that the fiberglass would be looking shiny and new?
It worked! Here are a few pics.

The graphics bleed out color when washed.

And they were peeling up at the edges. I took a flat razor blade holder and trimmed off the peeling edges--

This is after the trimming. They are a bit ragged in places, but at least no longer peeling.

I used my little power sprayer with TSP in it and scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend as recommended.

This is the tire cover with one side is just washed with a sponge and TSP, the other is washed with a green scrubbie and Bar Keeper's Friend. I also used the white scrubbie (1000 grit sandpaper grade and much more expensive) for scratches--it did wonders even on the cab metal but for most of the job I used the cheap green stuff. I completely wore out 4 half sheets!

This is a "before" of the cleaned passenger side.

Red Max Pro Step 3 ready to apply.

Finished! It took me about 10 hours to do the job.

Plus I washed and waxed the cab. But by this time I was losing daylight so it is harder to see the shine.
I'm really pleased with the results. The recommendation is a new coat every year--that is a lot longer time period than waxing.
This was a good project for the start of a great season. I think it was worth the effort!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
413 REPLIES 413

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
fizikpal wrote:
Also

Perhaps I do not know what a 3M White Scrubbie is. I could not find it at Home Depot.

tom

I did use a white scrubby(they are very mild) and it took a lot of work to get the black marks off the 5er. then all went well. I did not try a commercial product but that sound like a good Idea, then I would still do all the other steps, good luck ED mine came out near new looking on a used but new to me trailer.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
Also

Perhaps I do not know what a 3M White Scrubbie is. I could not find it at Home Depot.

tom
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308
TOAD: 2003 Honda Civic
Sterling Tow Bar with Brake Buddy

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes

A bit disappointed. Perhaps I have done something wrong.

I am trying this technique on the back of my motorhome. I washed it with a regular car wash to get the big stuff off, then used BKF with a Magic Eraser (then a scrubbie when the magic eraser fell apart), rinsing real well. I then followed up with TSP. Here are my issues.

1) I still have black streaks. I assumed that the BKF would take them out. I can use some Black Streak remover I have and then rewash. Thoughts on why they did not come out.

2) I do I know that all of the wax is removed before the RMP is applied? It did not seem that the TSP really did that much (Again applied with a scrubbie) at the 1/2 cup to 2 gallon ration.

thanks

tom
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308

Boundiful
Explorer
Explorer
I put up a couple before and after videos on my photobucket site. Before it only had pictures:
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/drcrazy_2007/RV/

Thanks for all the help here with that RedMax Pro information. I was going to wax it but am glad I didn't. I think it looks better than it would have if it were waxed.

Boundiful

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Great to see that the wetlook Zep puts on the same shine. It is a great looking job. Thanks for posting photos!

Also thanks for the photo of the fiver, Ed. Did you just do the cap? The sides look pretty shiny too. Did you put RMP on in direct sun or just on a super hot day?

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Link to above.
Great job. Looks like another satisfied user.

Boundiful
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I'm new here as of today but I've read this link and thought I would put in my experience with the RedMax Pro treatment.

I posted this on RVForum.net too.

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I applied the RedMax Pro floor finish treatment that others have talked about and it looks a lot better.

If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about you can go here and read all about it: http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24950880/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

It's a pretty hot topic at that site and for good reason. The RedMax Pro stuff works great. I actually had to use the Zep WetLook instead because my local Lowe's didn't carry the RedMax Pro so I had to go to Home Depot. They're both made by the same company and I believe are the same product.

The hardest part was the preparation. My RV is a 1991 Fleetwood Bounder and even though she's in fairly good shape for her age she needed makeup bad. Extreme makeup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Getting the dang stickers off was the hardest part for me. I used many chemicals, scrapers and a lot of elbow grease. In the first picture you can still see the ghost of the map of the U.S. It came off better than I expected.
Most of the stickers were on the rear end. I took off one to uncover a crack in the fiberglass that I wasn't aware of previously. Looks like the previous owner backed into something that split it. It has sealer in the crack so I think I'll just find another sticker to cover it over like the previous owner did.

After all the prep work it was time to apply the floor finish. The first coat took a long time and didn't make much difference. The second coat went on much faster and actually looked pretty bad because of all the streaks left behind and it showed all the places I missed when applying. I ran out of time for the third coat and put it on the following day.

Before I put it on I was kinda bummed. I felt like I wasted a lot of time and that it wasn't going to look very good for my efforts. I read on that other site to expect that and went ahead and put on a third coat. They recommend 4 coats but some were doing 3 coats and were quite happy with that.

The third coat made all the difference in the world. After all was done I was pleased with the results. I recommend doing it if your RV needs it. It took years off the old lady and she shines now.

If I had the time, money and place to do all the work I would have taken off all the decals and put on new striping. Oh well, it looks a lot better and I'm okay with that.

Like I say, all the info you need is on that link at the top.

The pictures are here on my PhotoBucket site:
http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/drcrazy_2007/RV/

It's best to look at the pics on slideshow mode.

Boundiful

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
TSP removes the wax, BKF removes any chalkiness from the fiberglass and hard to clean spots like black streaks. Use a 3m pad--preferably white and then rinse very well. I cleaned again with TSP, but I didn't use the powder--used a green liquid called TSP. (Same thing?)
Some people have just used their favorite cleaner of any kind and not bothered with the BFK but most who have used BFK find lots of other uses for it afterwards, it is a great mild abrasive cleaner.
Sun may just be uncomfortable to work in--I read someone applied in the sun and the drying went just fine. RMP dries very fast anyway. Just be sure to apply several thin coats to watch for runs. Good luck!

Got as high as 108* while I was doing the front cap and it came out perfect. I was able to claim on the roof and do the first couple of feet with 4 coats before coming down with the heat. by the time I got to one end the other was dry. use a sponge with a microfiber cover to put on the RMP. All went well. Did the BKF first and the powder TSP all rinsed well after use.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
TSP removes the wax, BKF removes any chalkiness from the fiberglass and hard to clean spots like black streaks. Use a 3m pad--preferably white and then rinse very well. I cleaned again with TSP, but I didn't use the powder--used a green liquid called TSP. (Same thing?)
Some people have just used their favorite cleaner of any kind and not bothered with the BFK but most who have used BFK find lots of other uses for it afterwards, it is a great mild abrasive cleaner.
Sun may just be uncomfortable to work in--I read someone applied in the sun and the drying went just fine. RMP dries very fast anyway. Just be sure to apply several thin coats to watch for runs. Good luck!

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... everyone here is getting me excited about this process. I think I will try the rear end cap to see how it goes.

I have read several people indicating that removing the old wax was very important. Is that what BAR KEEPERS FRIEND does? If not, how do I make sure the old wax is gone?

Also, in the process, will black streaks be removed or should I make sure they are all gone before applying the Red Max Pro?

I plan on doing this in the morning before it gets to hot. I would imagine that direct sunlight would be bad when applying RMP. Yes?

Thanks for everyone's input.

tom
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308

4BeachCampers
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 coats on the back end all I can say is WOW!!!
2005 Ford Four Winds Chateau Sport 28A

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
No flaking here, but after heavy rains last night, I have whits spots on 1 area of the dark vinyl graphics. They don't appear to come of easy. Don't know why or what they are.
Also have a new repetitive black streak that I never had before. I put another homemade water deflector on to take care of that.
Those white spots have my puzzled though.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
No flaking anywhere on mine, not even where I am getting some delamination (drat!). But I think I should put on another coat once the temps moderate a bit. Give it a good wash and recoat to see if the scratches go away. I don't think it is quite as shiny as when it first went on in early April, but the fiberglass is not getting patchy dull like it does when it oxidizes.
I read up a bit on acrylic and it is resistant to ultraviolet rays. So this acrylic based floor finish probably is giving the surface a bit of protection from the suns rays out here in Arizona.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
bacabunch wrote:
Has anyone had this issue? I had some flaking away of the wax and some small rust colored spots on my graphics? I applied about 3 coats a month ago. I thought I read earlier that it maybe some residue of the TSP or BKF. Has anyone had this situation and did you just wax over the spots?

The only reports I've ever seen of the Red Max flaking or peeling were because of it being applied over existing wax. Are you sure that you removed all of the old wax before applying the Red Max?

As for the spots...no clue, unless they were there prior to the Red Max and maybe you just didn't notice them till now?

Mine has now been done for 4 months...no problems at all.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had this issue? I had some flaking away of the wax and some small rust colored spots on my graphics? I applied about 3 coats a month ago. I thought I read earlier that it maybe some residue of the TSP or BKF. Has anyone had this situation and did you just wax over the spots?
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)