Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short A thoughts?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
DW & I are looking at class As under 30'

We would love to hear your thoughts. We are looking at used stuff that is local, but don't mind traveling to find the right unit for us. Top of our list at the moment are:

2012 Fleetwood Storm 28F 20k miles
2015 Itasca Tribute 27 14k miles

Any suggestions or alerts?
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide
22 REPLIES 22

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Winnebago 27N. 28.8 feet long. Tons of storage both inside and out. Based on passed experience I expected it to be ill handling but much to my surprise it actually handles quite well. Newer F53 chassis comes standard with front and rear sway bars and a front track bar.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased new a 2009 Itasca Sunstar 27 foot workhorse chassis - and LOVE it
Had shorter C and a longer A in the past the 27 footer is a keeper
Easily gets us places the larger A could never have gone
However as mentioned "stock" they do not handle well at all actually very poorly
Added front and rear stabilizer / track bars which made a huge difference
It easily tows the 19ft fishing boat or the Jeep TJ

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newmar Bay Star. 29 feet with a full slide. More room than my 35' with no slides.

Clicky
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you take a nice long test drive. Every short Class A I drove I did not like how it handled. Might explain why they always had so few miles on them.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both units have very small storage bays if outside storage is important to you. Also fresh water capacity is also low if you want to visit NP's SP's etc without full hookups.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
The bed is a trade off, but the bed in the ceiling does give you nearly 7 ft of kitchen counter top space, and a bathroom where most people can't touch opposing walls at the same time (wall to wall is right at 6x6 ft)

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting rig! and thanks for a speedy response.

Our knees are pretty set on a full time bed with no climbing needed. 😞

I suppose I should mention that we just rented a Thor 29M for a week. We'd never driven a class A before and wanted some real world experience. The Thor really showed us their quality. Just the sway, steering wandering and noise on the road put us off the bottom end lines. We had our (now adult) kids along, and it was quite comfy although how much more of that will happen is debatable. Grand kids are a loooong way off!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2002 28 ft Safari Trek, mine is just like the one in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqDAGm4LEJ0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqDAGm4LEJ0

though mine has a different mural on the back, note the salesman gets a number of details wrong (length, really 29'5" bumper to bumper, transmission, really 4L80E not Allison, ...)

p.s. here is a link to an 03 that was for sale a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td2anHkSWN0