cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should a Cummins ISL recall campaign scare me from buying?

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2007 Newmar with an ISL engine. I called Spartan and Cummins and found that the engine has an open recall (campaign - C0713). The recall is for possible defective piston wrist pin....the recall pretty much just installs an early warning system.

Looks like this recall affects 2005-2007 motorhomes with ISL engines. From what I've read online, it seems the failure rate is around 3% with most saying it will either happen early or not at all. The coach I'm looking at has over 60k miles.

Should I be concerned or just get the coach and have the recall completed?
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow
18 REPLIES 18

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
I wonder what the seller will do when the extra $5k guy shows up and changes his mind. :W

I wonder if he'll call you back or was he just trying to pump you for an extra $5k.

Either way, if you couldn't trust his word on the purchase he probably did you a favor. What else wasn't he honest about?

Could be a blessing in disguise, as well.
If and when he calls, I'd say I found another one for cheaper.
However, I will still buy his for another $5K less.
Actually I hate long distance travel for what could be a disappointment. Could be I'm spoiled too, by living in an area of plenty and there's no such thing as a seller's market, as I can see around here.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
I wonder what the seller will do when the extra $5k guy shows up and changes his mind. :W

I wonder if he'll call you back or was he just trying to pump you for an extra $5k.

Either way, if you couldn't trust his word on the purchase he probably did you a favor. What else wasn't he honest about?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I'd blame the seller for his actions. What would have happened if you already left, would he have done the same thing? Obviously his word means very little (<$5k). Luckily there are plenty of rigs out there and you'll find another. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
pusherpilot wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
There hasn't been any postings about wrist pin failure on the boards I read. You know if there was a failure, it would be posted on every rv board there is. It would not bother me to but that coach

Look here. It's a sticky.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/

Show me a post where there has actually been a failure

There are a bunch, but most of the posts are 2007-2008. Here is a recent one: ISL wrist pin failure

Thanks to everyone who replied. I thought I was getting the coach for a fair price. I had everything set up for the purchase: 1000 mike trip planned to inspect the rev, U-Haul trailer rental to tow my car home with the RV, wire transfer setup and ready, etc. I was set to leave my house at 4am yesterday morning but received a call from the seller at 11pm on Friday night telling me he felt terrible breaking our deal but someone offered him $5k more over the phone.

It is a disappointing situation for sure, but I keep thinking everything happens for a reason. Iโ€™m not sure I blame the seller for his actions, but Iโ€™m disappointed a bit that people donโ€™t seem to stand by their word anymore.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d only buy it if the price was discounted enough. No way would it be worth what a similar unit would be that wasnโ€™t in the recall. I passed on one, the Cummins fix is a joke. It tells you your engine is dead. Good luck on any help with repair costs.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
pusherpilot wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
There hasn't been any postings about wrist pin failure on the boards I read. You know if there was a failure, it would be posted on every rv board there is. It would not bother me to but that coach

Show me a post where there has actually been a failure

HD8100A
Explorer
Explorer
You can check the serial number, this is a paragraph copied from the recall
Summary:
CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17,2005, AND APRIL 18,2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THECONNECTINGRODCONTAINSAMACHININGDEFECTINTHE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
BobR wrote:
You did some due diligence - Why ignore it! Only way I would buy is to get the cost of a rebuild ($20,000) discounted off the already negotiated sale price.

Agree with this. While I agree that most of these I read about that did fail, failed early and not later. However, things can still happen. I would not consider the coach if I could not get a discount equal to the price of a potential engine rebuild.

Either that, which the seller might not buy, if the price is already under low NADA.....or there's always the possibility, that's its not the only deal in town.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
You did some due diligence - Why ignore it! Only way I would buy is to get the cost of a rebuild ($20,000) discounted off the already negotiated sale price.

Agree with this. While I agree that most of these I read about that did fail, failed early and not later. However, things can still happen. I would not consider the coach if I could not get a discount equal to the price of a potential engine rebuild.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

BobR
Explorer
Explorer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:
I'm also hopeful that if something catastrophic did happen, Cummins would step up to cover the damage.

It is nice to hope for great things, and I hope, too, that you would be so blessed. However, I can almost guarantee that will not happen!

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others, probably would have happened by now. But, if it were me I actually would lean More towards buying it. I don't know the language or expiration on the recall you're talking about, but I wouldn't mind having a coach that if the engine fails because of this I get a new one from Cummins.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It would have failed by now.
I would no hesitate to buy.