cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I level the RV?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not going to store my RV this fall and winter at a facility as I have some work to do on it. It'll be easier to pick away at the things I can fix when it's in my driveway as well as hire someone to fix the stuff I can't.

My question is this. My driveway is not level. At the top it is but where I would like to park the MH has a bit of a slant downward, towards the nose of the RV. It's backed in. My fridge will be off. I've read that you shouldn't park your RV on a slant and run the fridge. I just read that it's ok to park on a slant, with the Fridge off, but when you want to use the MH again you need to level it for 24 hours, which would not be a problem.

Is this about right?
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
10 REPLIES 10

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Back it in where you want it, dump suspension...

Don't think gassers have "dumpable" suspensions.

Also, commenters seem to be assuming the OP wants to run his fridge out of level. Given his "but when you want to use the MH again..." statement, it appears he has no need for the fridge while parked.

The question appears to actually be, "what's the procedure for using the fridge, once he wants to use the RV AFTER it's been parked?".
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
RJL,
While I very much agree with all the above, but I have a different take.

Time was I did a lot of boat work. Much of it was done when the boat was "on the hard". It may have been set down only level enough for the water to drain off the decks. This would cause me difficulties when I was working below.

Tools or parts would roll off "level" surfaces. This can bring your thinking to a halt real fast and lost screws can be a nightmare. I once put a can of something (like glue or paint) down on a table and it dripped over the edge. I was barely able to keep that from being a disaster. Sailboats is doesn't really matter, but power boats want mounted things to be level when they are stopped and that is harder to do when you have no level reference.

So, level or not is really your choice, and I personally would suggest that you cut blocks and an extra step to do this right the first time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Use wood 2x6 to level them if needed. Simple and easy is best.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. That is correct for the fridge.

No. You may need to be reasonably level to extend slides. Keep guides and gears from binding. See your manual.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the jacks.. Take a load off the springs.
Also if for any reason you need to move into the RV for a bit.. Already ready to occupy.

One suggestion then a comment
Cut some blocks of wood. 2x12 12 (or 11.5) inches long 4 of 'em (Assuming you have 4 jacks) put one under each jack pad before extending.. Reason.

I lived in Detroit. First year I did not do that and the jacks froze to the gravel.. I got 'em lose but.. job.

2nd year I put the pads down. THEY froze to the ground but the jacks came up easily.. So I drove off. Grabbed my 8 pounder and stepped up to the wood blocks. and they popped lose like July.

After that I always padded in the winter.

Summer. Depended on where parked.. Some sites I'd lay 2x12 down to "Spread the force"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say how much of a slope is involved. A bit of a slant might be just fine. I believe the guideline is something around 2.5 degrees out of level is still OK to run the fridge. It certainly doesn't have to be perfectly level. Additionally, as mentioned, if the fridge is off while stored out of level you will be able to get it level (close to level) and turn the fridge on.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it might be better to level the rig because the stabilizers will be good to have if you get a strong windstorm, and who knows what kind of winter storms we might get.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
It will be fine as long as the refrigerator is off. The 24 hours is not necessary.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parking for a month plus? Back it in where you want it, dump suspension, and measure top of front wheel wells. Level the MH, and take measurements again. Build blocks the right height, set front wheels on.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You won't need the 24 hours.

It is correct to NOT run the fridge when out of level--and damage starts to accumulate after as little as 15 minutes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.