cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side Camera

kampy1
Explorer
Explorer
The right (passenger) side camera on my 2006 Winnebago Vectra has resulted in an extremely fuzzy picture on the Sony color monitor inside. The left side continues to provide me with a clear vision of my "blind" area. We've opened the housing and carefully cleaned both the visible portion of the lens and the plastic lens inside the housing. Any recommendations? I'm was much more confident driving when that camera provided a clear picture in the monitor.
8 REPLIES 8

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
kampy1
I have had this happen on previous coach and it was moisture or condensation building up on the inside of the lens. I found if I ran the winter heaters on the mirrors for several hours while traveling it would totally clear up and would last for an extended period of time. When they would cloud up again I would do the same thing. As a result I was able to get several more years out of the cameras. Give it a try.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
sportech wrote:
My side cameras were fogged and corroded also. I replaced them with some low cost ($15) backup cameras off of eb_y. I removed the old camera from the shell and epoxied the new one in place making sure the alignment was correct. I had to figure out the wiring (two for power, two for picture) but that didn't take long.

The field of vision is slightly wider, but the picture is perfect.

Dave
07 Revolution

A great, practical, and inexpensive solution. I like it.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
My side cameras were fogged and corroded also. I replaced them with some low cost ($15) backup cameras off of eb_y. I removed the old camera from the shell and epoxied the new one in place making sure the alignment was correct. I had to figure out the wiring (two for power, two for picture) but that didn't take long.

The field of vision is slightly wider, but the picture is perfect.

Dave
07 Revolution

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I never use the side cameras. The rear works for monitoring the toad, but, IMHO, the side cameras or not much good. I can see best in the two side mirrors.
2014 American Eagle

kkriepke
Explorer
Explorer
I had both of my cameras fail on me.... fuzzy on right and blank on left. after proving the cables ok, I bit the bullet and ordered replacements. $250 each...ouch!

After disassembly of the camera electronics I found massive corrosion on the CCD board and the power supply board. Probably caused by previous owner power washing the coach... (they ruined the headlight lenses that way too)

Also exact replacement is not possible. the new camera is smaller so I had to make a cover plate, paint it to match and install the cameras after painting them also.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a couple of 1/4-inch size fuzzy spots always in the same spot on my back-up monitor in my truck. I went back and wiped the small lens and they were still there. Then I went and looked real close and it turned to to real small tar like specs on the lens. I s****ed then off with my fingernails. then wiped again with a Windex rag. I was surprised how large those two tiny specs were amplified so big on the 7-inch monitor screen...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this electrical fuzz or optical fuzz? In other words, does it shift about or look staticy, or is it more like an out-of-focus photograph?

If it's staticy, it's more likely to be an electrical connection problem or a bad cable or some bit of electronics in the camera not working properly. If it's a clear view of a bad picture, that's more likely an optical problem of some sort. Rather obviously, concentrating on the optics when the wiring is the problem won't yield much improvement, and vice-versa.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try using plastic polish to polish the plastic lens on your camera. It may have become clouded from when the motor home was last washed or from environmental deposits.