cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Single dad, new to RVs and needing some advice

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody and thank you all for helping put together such a wonderful resource!

So here's my situation, I'm a single full time dad and I'm on disability so money is a huge factor as it's rarer than hen's teeth for me. Due to my health issues the worst of which being MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) I really need to get into nature more and away from indoor air. I have been attempting to go in this RV direction at the very least 3-4 months a year and have managed to save up about $9,000 to get me on the road.

I bought a truck, fixed it up, installed a 5th wheel hitch myself and so on. Next I found a 5th wheel but it made me sick due to the previous owners using air-freshener I hadn't noticed. I think, no big deal, I'll do some repairs to it, sell it and start over. 5th wheel number 2, less of an issue but still having some problems with it making me sick, it's hard to find one (in my price range anyway) that hasn't had some leaking issues so maybe it's a mold thing. Alright, frustrating but, I'll sell this one and buy another.

Now for the monkey wrench, my daughter (18) decides she wants to go along with me and my boy (13), so now I have a chance to travel with my two teenagers before they no longer want to hang out with their dad. I'm pretty much ready to sell a kidney (mine are healthy after all) to make this happen.

So I will sell 5th wheel number two because I can't fit us all in the standard cab F-250 stick shift I bought to pull it with.

This will give me a budget of around $9,000 to spend on something to cart us around but I need dependable and I don't get to just pick anything because I need something that's outgassed the chemicals (15ish years old), hasn't had air fresheners in it, wasn't just detailed by an RV sales place and, isn't full of mildew or anything.

Clearly you can see I'm in a tough spot but hoping somebody has an idea I haven't thought of yet as I'm feeling stuck and discouraged. There are many class a motorhomes floating around, many from the 90s under $10,000 too but I am not sure what to look out for with these, what's "high miles", what's the better engine, or what's going to become a money pit. I just need it to hold up for 20k miles and I would be happy as a lark!

Any advice, input, thoughts, wisdom or otherwise would be really wonderful as I really want to make this happen. I could do a little financing (say $200 a month) if I really had to but that may put me into the dealers and those aren't really safe for me.
29 REPLIES 29

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I certainly have given a lot of thought to building my own, the weight gets up there really quickly but otherwise I think I would be solid on it, timeframe aside. I would go with an old 5th frame and build on that, tongue and groove subfloor and all metal design.

I've been trying hard to avoid diesel, I actually pull over if there's a diesel in front of me. I certainly can't handle it but I employ ninja skills when refueling and figured I wouldn't notice it while driving. You may be 100% correct however and that's a concern I have which would have to be explored before purchase.

@OhhWell - Agreed but I'm not a good giver upper so forward I march. Not to get all Buddhist on anybody but I'll just put the right energy out there, stay open, stay curious and avoid being completely attached to any single outcome and I will find something that works.

I really do appreciate the feedback people so thank you very much!

T-Karma
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonAZ wrote:
You know, maybe I would be better off just selling off everything I own, getting a diesel pusher and living out of it full time even if it's in my own yard while I just rent my house. My health issues are bad enough having such a small space to manage would be really nice and much easier to go green with in terms of solar and so on.

There are a lot of options and it's tough to sort out, seems like at every price point $1,500 more buys you 2x the coach.

No offense, but it's kind of weird that you can handle diesel but not other chemicals. I had to get rid of a diesel truck because my wife is sensitive to some chemicals.

Now, I may really be reaching here, but have you considered just building your own travel trailer?

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonAZ wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
Can't you air out the air fresheners? That one sounded like a friggin diamond in the rough. Would an Ozone machine help clear out toxins?

That's kind of what has me in this mess, trying to "air out" 5th wheels and now I have two of them I need to sell to get my budget back because I can't use them.

To give you some idea how sensitive I am, I bought a dress shirt second hand (it was $1) and the person had used mild fabric softener on it, I figure, no issue. So I soak it in vinegar for a day and proceed to wash it 9 times in hot water with my home made laundry detergent (it's amazing stuff) and I still couldn't wear it. I've also tried the sun, leaving items outside for months.

The first 5th I bought (1996 I got for $1,200) I used an industrial ($750 unit I got for $100 and rebuilt) ozone generator to shock treat it 6 times in hopes it would remove the smell and it had only the slightest noticeable impact. So I left it to air out, fully open for a month, still nothing that would allow me to use it.

I've also bought 14 pound bags of baking soda, dumped it on everything, left is sit and vacuumed it up then ozoned it and it hasn't been enough.

The MCS sucks, makes me feel like I'm going mad sometimes for sure but we all have our stuff to contend with so I do my best to adjust my life to feel "normal".

If that motorhome were cheaper I could "try it out" and see if I can fix it odor wise but past experience has taught me that the smells and chemicals permeate and bake into many items in the motor homes. Like I can't get the odors out of polyester nor could I get it out of a Herman Miller Aeron chair (it was only $50) as I think the plastics actually absorb the chemicals.

Man, don't take this the wrong way because I know you already railed against such talk but are you 100% SURE this is something you need to do? Your hypersensitivity is going to make this pretty impossible. I can't imagine you are going to find one that hasn't been cleaned with any sort of strong detergent regularly. Even a brand new one would have a lot of chemicals in it from the manufacturing process.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Can't you air out the air fresheners? That one sounded like a friggin diamond in the rough. Would an Ozone machine help clear out toxins?

That's kind of what has me in this mess, trying to "air out" 5th wheels and now I have two of them I need to sell to get my budget back because I can't use them.

To give you some idea how sensitive I am, I bought a dress shirt second hand (it was $1) and the person had used mild fabric softener on it, I figure, no issue. So I soak it in vinegar for a day and proceed to wash it 9 times in hot water with my home made laundry detergent (it's amazing stuff) and I still couldn't wear it. I've also tried the sun, leaving items outside for months.

The first 5th I bought (1996 I got for $1,200) I used an industrial ($750 unit I got for $100 and rebuilt) ozone generator to shock treat it 6 times in hopes it would remove the smell and it had only the slightest noticeable impact. So I left it to air out, fully open for a month, still nothing that would allow me to use it.

I've also bought 14 pound bags of baking soda, dumped it on everything, left is sit and vacuumed it up then ozoned it and it hasn't been enough.

The MCS sucks, makes me feel like I'm going mad sometimes for sure but we all have our stuff to contend with so I do my best to adjust my life to feel "normal".

If that motorhome were cheaper I could "try it out" and see if I can fix it odor wise but past experience has taught me that the smells and chemicals permeate and bake into many items in the motor homes. Like I can't get the odors out of polyester nor could I get it out of a Herman Miller Aeron chair (it was only $50) as I think the plastics actually absorb the chemicals.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonAZ wrote:
There are so many options it gets dizzying!

Initially I just wanted me in a class b, the end, easy, have fun, small space to manage, they rarely leak. Then the 5th wheel plan, now the motorhome.

Maybe a class b with a tt for the kids to sleep in, too many options will certainly paralyze you quickly.

OhhWell wrote:
Here are a couple that I certainly would go and see if I were in your shoes:

Link

Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate the effort!

I went and looked at that one (the 32" Rambler), he bought a Monaco DP which is why he's selling it. It's been stored indoors, didn't show any leaks (with a short inspection anyway), the seams on the roof were all covered in Eternabond and caulk, it's wasn't faded or dry-rotted at all. And I don't even want to tell you what he offered it to me for (:

His son however used it for a week a couple months ago and he had a passion for air fresheners so that rules it out for me.

I'm trying not to get discouraged but it isn't easy, I may just have to make compromises to my compromises at this point.

1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
You know, maybe I would be better off just selling off everything I own, getting a diesel pusher and living out of it full time even if it's in my own yard while I just rent my house. My health issues are bad enough having such a small space to manage would be really nice and much easier to go green with in terms of solar and so on.

There are a lot of options and it's tough to sort out, seems like at every price point $1,500 more buys you 2x the coach.

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many options it gets dizzying!

Initially I just wanted me in a class b, the end, easy, have fun, small space to manage, they rarely leak. Then the 5th wheel plan, now the motorhome.

Maybe a class b with a tt for the kids to sleep in, too many options will certainly paralyze you quickly.

OhhWell wrote:
Here are a couple that I certainly would go and see if I were in your shoes:

Link

Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate the effort!

I went and looked at that one (the 32" Rambler), he bought a Monaco DP which is why he's selling it. It's been stored indoors, didn't show any leaks (with a short inspection anyway), the seams on the roof were all covered in Eternabond and caulk, it's wasn't faded or dry-rotted at all. And I don't even want to tell you what he offered it to me for (:

His son however used it for a week a couple months ago and he had a passion for air fresheners so that rules it out for me.

I'm trying not to get discouraged but it isn't easy, I may just have to make compromises to my compromises at this point.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonAZ wrote:
Thank you all for the wonderful insights and help, it's really great and helps me from getting discouraged!

I looked at a 32ft 1992 Itasca today, seemed to be in very good condition, Ford 460, 89k on it. They're wanting $9,000 but I'm guessing $8,000 would get it done. I'm thinking I can do better but they did pay for the towing setup on it and it's in excellent condition so those are plusses.

What would be the advantages to a class c over a class a? The class c units (I used to have a Tioga which I sold because of the mildew) seem to have leaking issues more often, lower quality construction and from what I've seen are less of a value due to their compromises being suited to weekenders instead of long term living which gives them a larger market and a lower overall value. I may be missing some of their upsides however and would love to hear where they do better.

@Thunder Mountain, that's why I'm looking for something about 15 years old, I did check out a 1980 Revcon but that had more issues than my budget could overcome. Early 90s seems to be well balanced with style, modern features, value, wear and things like that and after 20 years they've as outgassed as they're going to get. Older would be better but comes with other issues, maybe an older restore of an old unit would work well.

Any tips on what to avoid, I know delaminating should be avoided but otherwise I'm not overly informed on some of the more subtle things. I do plan to slowly go to solar and not run the gen or the propane fridge.

You could offer $6K cash in hand for that 93 and see what happens.

There aren't really any advantages that I can think of for a Class C other than the price.

Yes, Delamination would be one of the largest and easily uncovered defects. I wouldn't buy one with delamination.

I don't know what your disability completely entails but even before going into the coach, you should get on the roof. At this age, there is no factory Lap sealant that will still be good. Look for new sealant on top of old along the seams or even completely new sealant. Carefully feel for soft spots, especially near any sealant.

That will help to identify any current leaks. Then you need to look for and evaluate the damage from any prior leaks. It is exceptionally rare to find an RV in this age range that hasn't had a single leak. When you go in the coach, look at the entire ceiling obviously but also open all of the cabinets and feel along the areas where the walls meet the roof. Then the same everywhere the walls meet the floor that you can get to.

Look for any signs of fluid leakage under the coach. On the fords, there is a drum assembly for the parking brake that is attached right behind the transmission. This is somewhat notorious for leaking. CHECK THE AGE OF THE TIRES. That is one thing that you would HAVE to replace for safety if they are too old and it is a painful bill even with the smaller wheels in the early 90s.

It is very useful if you can to bring someone along who can be impartial. As hard as I try, I cannot overcome some emotional attachment when I am looking to buy one of these things. I start thinking about how the family will use it and start overlooking defects. That's why I suggested getting up on the roof before even going inside the coach.

If you look enough, you may be able to find a 30'er or so with the V10 within your budget.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the wonderful insights and help, it's really great and helps me from getting discouraged!

I looked at a 32ft 1992 Itasca today, seemed to be in very good condition, Ford 460, 89k on it. They're wanting $9,000 but I'm guessing $8,000 would get it done. I'm thinking I can do better but they did pay for the towing setup on it and it's in excellent condition so those are plusses.

What would be the advantages to a class c over a class a? The class c units (I used to have a Tioga which I sold because of the mildew) seem to have leaking issues more often, lower quality construction and from what I've seen are less of a value due to their compromises being suited to weekenders instead of long term living which gives them a larger market and a lower overall value. I may be missing some of their upsides however and would love to hear where they do better.

@Thunder Mountain, that's why I'm looking for something about 15 years old, I did check out a 1980 Revcon but that had more issues than my budget could overcome. Early 90s seems to be well balanced with style, modern features, value, wear and things like that and after 20 years they've as outgassed as they're going to get. Older would be better but comes with other issues, maybe an older restore of an old unit would work well.

Any tips on what to avoid, I know delaminating should be avoided but otherwise I'm not overly informed on some of the more subtle things. I do plan to slowly go to solar and not run the gen or the propane fridge.

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing for the OP to think about and I'm sure he has if he's owned other types of recreational vehicles are his asset limits for the type of disability he receives and I'm sure that varies by state.
Thanks, Kay

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just asking OP a question from my stupidity. I have heard of multiple chemical sensitivity. I had issues with a house we owned due to outgassing of formaldehyde outgassing from insulation and glues. I'm wondering if an RV would cause the OP issues since and RV has so many composite materials. Maybe an older RV would have fully outgassed? Wishing OP the best. Hope the community here can help you out.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
You can find a suitable Class A, just look around til you find what you want. You seem mechanical so minor problems shouldn't break the bank. MAKE SURE TIRES ARE GOOD AND NOT OLD. TIRES ARE EXPENSIVE! Generator can be a pain in the ass also. Get a MH tech to survey the coach before purchase LP and all the stuff that can kill you if it leaks.

TucsonAZ wrote:
Hello everybody and thank you all for helping put together such a wonderful resource!

So here's my situation, I'm a single full time dad and I'm on disability so money is a huge factor as it's rarer than hen's teeth for me. Due to my health issues the worst of which being MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) I really need to get into nature more and away from indoor air. I have been attempting to go in this RV direction at the very least 3-4 months a year and have managed to save up about $9,000 to get me on the road.

I bought a truck, fixed it up, installed a 5th wheel hitch myself and so on. Next I found a 5th wheel but it made me sick due to the previous owners using air-freshener I hadn't noticed. I think, no big deal, I'll do some repairs to it, sell it and start over. 5th wheel number 2, less of an issue but still having some problems with it making me sick, it's hard to find one (in my price range anyway) that hasn't had some leaking issues so maybe it's a mold thing. Alright, frustrating but, I'll sell this one and buy another.

Now for the monkey wrench, my daughter (18) decides she wants to go along with me and my boy (13), so now I have a chance to travel with my two teenagers before they no longer want to hang out with their dad. I'm pretty much ready to sell a kidney (mine are healthy after all) to make this happen.

So I will sell 5th wheel number two because I can't fit us all in the standard cab F-250 stick shift I bought to pull it with.

This will give me a budget of around $9,000 to spend on something to cart us around but I need dependable and I don't get to just pick anything because I need something that's outgassed the chemicals (15ish years old), hasn't had air fresheners in it, wasn't just detailed by an RV sales place and, isn't full of mildew or anything.

Clearly you can see I'm in a tough spot but hoping somebody has an idea I haven't thought of yet as I'm feeling stuck and discouraged. There are many class a motorhomes floating around, many from the 90s under $10,000 too but I am not sure what to look out for with these, what's "high miles", what's the better engine, or what's going to become a money pit. I just need it to hold up for 20k miles and I would be happy as a lark!

Any advice, input, thoughts, wisdom or otherwise would be really wonderful as I really want to make this happen. I could do a little financing (say $200 a month) if I really had to but that may put me into the dealers and those aren't really safe for me.

dayakster
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonAZ, since you're familiar with Wisconsin maybe you can check out King's Campers website in Wausau. If you check it weekly or so you can see a good looking AS IS unit pop up in the $4-8K range every now and then but you have to call on them fast because they sell like hotcakes. There's nothing up like that right now but last week they had a nice looking older Class A around $5K that sold before they could get all the details posted. I've been watching their site for about a year and have seen several.

I know you have your issues with dealers but how cool would it be to be able to drive up with your kids and pick up your new RV?!
Thanks, Kay