cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Deck

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking on the net at 2005 Vectra, the listing said it had a Sky Deck for observation? I'm assuming it is on the roof? I looked at the floor plan and it didn't show a Sky Deck! I've been RVing since 1976 and never heard of this term before on any RV! Thank You, for educated me! I'm going to learn something new!
16 REPLIES 16

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
OK so this Sky Deck is just too cool and I've been looking through videos. The doorway is much more weather tight than I imagined, just like any commercial building rooftop access hatch, and some have sinks and water up there, coolers, and all the general features you might find on a houseboat. The awkward part is the rooftop ACs that protrude into your deck and put off heat and noise while they are operating, and not sure they are getting the total air circulation they might need as I saw the forward AC partially buried up in the front cowling. A basement style AC may have been a better match.

skydeck bunkhouse
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
ya that side patio looked like a lot of fun at the RV show, but I imagine it really limited your available campsites.

and when parked without the patio extended your curb side was blind with no windows. and I have to think that it was a rattling son of a gun.
bumpy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ya that side patio looked like a lot of fun at the RV show, but I imagine it really limited your available campsites.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
more recently we had the side patio that fizzled out.
bumpy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ah, houseboats been doing it for years successfully. I think it might just be cost vs market that brought the demise. I just watched a video on the sky deck, awesome!

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Except for custom-made jobs, I believe that all of the major manufacturers stop making these things several years ago.

Looking at 2-3-4 dozen holes drilled into the an RV roof for the furnishings and accoutrements that also has to support perhaps a thousand pounds of several people sitting and moving about and dancing on said roof.

DUH?

PS: Some lawyers would probably love to handle the cases of people who
fell over the flimsy railings.

Just sayin.
😉
Ray

MrWizard
I've seen at least one , a Jayco class c
With add on sky deck , and exterior folding stairs on the rear of the RV
Oem roof still in place, deck walls, and folding roof like used on boats
Did not climb up there done knew what they did about the a/c units
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that airstream looks a lot like the one I remember seeing but that was before slideouts and it was extremely "claustrophobic" . and going up top there was a bunch of parts that moved around and tried to get watertight upon closing it up.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

For those who don't want to click, here's a photo:

That's a neat rig. :C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who remember or have heard of "Walt's RV Salvage and Surplus", it is now owned by a fellow who owns, a custom trailer shop and his specializes in building Star Decks for trailers and motorized RVs.

It is called Stardeck Enterprises and is in Corona, CA.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream introduced the Sky Deck in 2002 and the last production was 2005.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream click here.

For those who don't want to click, here's a photo:

A few years ago, Outback TT's came out with the "loft" version:

Not sure who made this one:

Back to motor homes:

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess if you are a race fan or want to look down on your neighbors a skydeck would be OK.
Even though the Airstream has stairs inside you do gain a lot of space upstairs.
Obviously not a big seller as I do not know of any newer units with this feature.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I remember seeing them but way longer ago than 2005. the one I remember most vividly had no dining table cause the stairs up took up a lot of floor space.
of course some NASCAR fans make sky decks by just setting chairs on the roof of rented RVs. :s
bumpy