cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide not staying in tightly. What to check?

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a two year old MH. The large kitchen slide rolls in tightly. However, after my 10 mile test drive it had jiggled out on one side on the bottom corner about an inch. I could stick my hand partway into the gap between the slide and the exterior side wall. What is causing this do you think? The other side of the slide has automatic locks and stays tightly closed.

Current owner will fix before sale. Thanks for enlightening me.
6 REPLIES 6

docj
Explorer
Explorer
A hydraulically-activated slide may have a dual acting cylinder like our main slide does. We had a similar slide problem when one of the high pressure hoses going to the cylinder from the pump developed a leak. It can be messy but it's not difficult to fix.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
Check under the slide for a braking lever. It may have got bumped when the bin was loaded.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3778
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
I only have experience with hydraulic slides and I have had the exact same problem in the past. First thing you will want to check are the solenoids. If they are ok then most slides have 2 or 3 cylinders that extend and retract the slide along with an equalizer cylinder. After checking everything on my it ended up being the front cylinder that extends and retracts the slides. It was a blown interior seal. These can either be rebuilt or you will need to contact HWH to get a new one. Problem with mine is they did not stock the part and one had to be built which took o bit over a week.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
If it is hydraulic (HWH systems) it may be a weak or failing solenoid. If I remember correctly, the 'extend' solenoid keeps the slide in.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
If it is electric it may be the locking device has failed. That happened to us.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know if it is driven by hydraulic or electric motor?
Roaming Full Timer