cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide rooms and Leveling

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading the manual that came with the 2002 40 foot DP. It implies to extend slides no matter how unlevel the motorhome is and after extending the slide rooms to then level the coach. I would think you would want the motorhome at least within some parameters of being level before deploying slides. It would seem if you were way out of canter it would be hard on the slide mechanisms . I have read this 3 times and it states when you arrive at your campsite take care of plugging in electric and water then deploy slides, then after slides are deployed you can then start to level your R V I guess I am really new to RV'ing at least as far as class A are concerned. With our truck campers we leveled the camper so that the refer was level what do you guys think
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
16 REPLIES 16

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I would follow the manufactures instructions.

My Winnebago states: Level, then put slides out.
X-2, I level first then put the slides out! By doing this there is no binding whatsoever in the slides.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I see it this way. All manufacturers have to provide a Manual with a "Procedure" for putting your slides out. If the Manual said to use common sense when deploying slides, there would be a huge outcry by people that it was too confusing. So......manufacturers give you what works best the majority of the time. If your coach says slides first, would you extend them first while the front end was hanging off of a cliff, probably not.

When ALL of these coaches were built, the slides were installed and adjusted with the coach on level ground and aired up, the perfect situation. Generally, I tell people to follow their Manual, but there will be times where "common sense" says, you should level first and then extend, including the occasional placing of a block under one or two tires to an axle out of a large depression.

Newmar actually changed their procedure mid year a few years back. On really level sites, I level the coach and extend slides, against Newmar advice. On really unlevel sites I extend slides while aired up, air down and then level. Something anyone can do is go outside and look at your "reveals", the spacing between the slide and frame. Some are hidden by trim, but you can still look and get a feel for where the trim is. If it's really out of whack, block the coach or move it some to get it closer to square.

Again....COMMON SENSE is the way to go.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
The manual on my Monaco Monarch says the same thing. I drive the wheels up on levelers to get it close, deploy slides, then level just as manual says.
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I've always leveled first and raised the levelers last but I really doubt it makes much difference either way.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you do as your instruction manual says. it will save you some money if you do it right.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Entegras are slides out first and in last...just as Monaco/HR ..and they even show you why...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
I was reading the manual that came with the 2002 40 foot DP. It implies to extend slides no matter how unlevel the motorhome is and after extending the slide rooms to then level the coach. I would think you would want the motorhome at least within some parameters of being level before deploying slides. It would seem if you were way out of canter it would be hard on the slide mechanisms . I have read this 3 times and it states when you arrive at your campsite take care of plugging in electric and water then deploy slides, then after slides are deployed you can then start to level your R V I guess I am really new to RV'ing at least as far as class A are concerned. With our truck campers we leveled the camper so that the refer was level what do you guys think

Devildog,
You don't say what year/make/model/chassis etc. coach that you're dealing with. But, you are thinking "logically" when you say that you think the procedure for slides first, level second, should be reversed. Because, logically, that's the way it's done for about 98% of the coaches and fifth wheels out there in RV land. And, in all reality, it makes sense to level first and then deploy slides.

I'd still like to talk, face to face with an RV engineer who says its fine to deploy slides first, especially on really unlevel ground, then level. That to me is just plain stupidity. But, I don't have to deal with that method since the way Itasca spells it out is to do it logically, level first, slides second.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

MrWizard
Corkey05 wrote:
My 2008 Holiday Rambler (Monaco) manual specifically states to follow the same process as the OP describes. Slides out, then level - to leave, you reverse the process.

This procedure came up at several Monaco rallies during class sessions and the company always held firm. The company prefers that slides be extended BEFORE dropping air, then leveling.

That said, I find myself sometimes leveling first if the site is so unlevel I would need to "push" the slide uphill to extend.

Either way, I've never had any issues with leveling - both work.

this is crux of the situation
big DP's with air leveling
have different procedure from coaches with out 'air' suspension
and strictly hyd jacks only
my bounder says to level, then extend slide
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Very seldom am I camping on a site that is more than slightly uneven. With tat said, I was told to always level, stabilize and THEN deploy the slide....and then bring in the slide before letting the levelers/stabilizers down. In the end, I guess I'd advise to follow the manufacturer's recommendations....they are ones who designed the thing.....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If your RV is so out of level you are concerned that the slides may be impacted-------WHY are you camping so out of level? Level is NOT the concern. Twisting of the chassis is the concern. If all 4/6/8 tires are not in a depression or large hole, you can extend the slides. Pointing downhill or uphill or leaning to the sides will not cause a problem with the slides. They had slide rooms way before Leveling jacks became standard. They still have slide rooms on Motorhomes and Trailers that do not have a leveling system. Doug

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should follow the advice of the manufacturer. More times than not the slides will be in a better position to extend when the coach is still in “travel” mode as in not on levelers. If you are on a severe out of level condition leveling first may help OR it may contort the frame such that the slide will jam.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I would follow the manufactures instructions.

My Winnebago states: Level, then put slides out.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
This depends on the manufacture and how the slides are installed. Some are , slides out then level. You wouldn’t camp hopefully in some crazy out of level place. If you are someplace the levelers are capable of leveling you you are ok. I was told that if I didn’t do it that way on mine , like yours that slides go out first, I could damage the slide outs! It doesn’t seem normal to me asl the other brands I’ve owned were reverse of that , but I was assured the slides were made to be operated while out of level and fully aired up.
Follow the manufacturer method .. whatever that is for you coach , they aren’t all the same.
Bill

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Holiday Rambler (Monaco) manual specifically states to follow the same process as the OP describes. Slides out, then level - to leave, you reverse the process.

This procedure came up at several Monaco rallies during class sessions and the company always held firm. The company prefers that slides be extended BEFORE dropping air, then leveling.

That said, I find myself sometimes leveling first if the site is so unlevel I would need to "push" the slide uphill to extend.

Either way, I've never had any issues with leveling - both work.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292