cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snats/Flies in Black Water Tank

boss302
Explorer
Explorer
We recently stayed in a RV park in Ft. Myers Beach and there were snats or flies living in the sewer pipe in the ground. While we were there we noticed that these pests would come up thru the toilet when we flushed. We have since moved on but are still getting them whenever we flush. Apparently they have made a home in there. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of these snats/flies. We would greatly appreciate anyone's help.
11 REPLIES 11

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
They may have gotten in through the roof vent.
The larvae can come in through the hose to the gray water tank. We have had them there and they do not have a problem getting through the trap in the shower. They live in the gunk coating the tank walls and waste lines in the RV.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW: We once stayed at an RV park in a pecan groove. I picked a bag of nice looking pecans (Off the Ground-duh!!) A few days later, opened the bag and a million bugs flew out...won't do that again...
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

boss302
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We did have the valves closed and opened only when we wanted to dump but they still came up thru the hose. Will try some of the suggestions and cross our fingers.

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the tank to 3/4 full, top off with big heavy dose of bleach, 1 quart per 40 gallons. Drive around, If possible do this for half a day being sure to do lots of turns snd braking to reslly slosh it around. Dump. Tide works also snd reslly ccleans the tank up. Cold water getd rid of suds.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any good pest control concentrate will kill them. Dump a quart or so in the black tank, fill it to the top and empty. Problem solved. In the future, when you see the gnats in the sewer pipe, treat the pipe BEFORE you hook up the sewer hose....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use this.

I use this on my sticks and brick home. It doesn't smell and it kills all bugs on contact.

I think I would pour three ounces in the toilet, fill with water and flush.

I'd do that every day till they are gone.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Why I only open valves to dump and immediately close.

We learned the hard way!
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goldencrazy wrote:

X2
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try filling the tank with water and letting it sit. I don't think gnats swim.

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
We used a bug bomb for a room with the toilet open and the drain pipe closed. Let it gas from dràin up into the tank.Aired MH per instructions on the bug bomb. One time fix.
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179