cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar For Motor Battery Only

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Would this little solar unit suffice in keeping the motor battery trickle charged while the van is not in use parking in the driveway? Thanks,

10 watt solar unit on Amazon
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds
4 REPLIES 4

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Despite the nay-sayers... I think it looks like a decent little unit! I have a 0.75A maintainer (110V plug-in) for the dual coach batteries, so if you are getting even 0.5A, that's pretty good, if you don't have access to 110V. Check Renogy for some larger output panels to compare prices. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
That's going to give you .58A max. That's a trickle for sure. I guess it's better than nothing but I would suspect the parasitic drains in the vehicle will be greater. If you disconnect the battery from the van it might just keep up with self discharge.
I'd go for a larger panel.

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
If you disconnect the battery from the vehicle electrical system it "might".

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
harbor freight also sells a cheapy- the problem is the "control"- these can vary in voltage and over charge.

Suggest you get a DelTran Battery Tender- costco carries a 3 amp unit, but a 1 or 1.25 amp unit will work fine.
there are other brands as well.

run an extension cord and it'll keep the battery charged and prolong it's life.

for winter storage if you are somewhere cold, consider taking the battery out and putting it on the bench.

my chev based lexor TD draws close to 700 milliamps for the alarm and radio memory- pulling the fuses for these will reduce any pull on the battery when parked or adding a battery disconnect on the negative-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N72FES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mike