cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solera RS vs. Truck Camper for Ease of use

1retired
Explorer
Explorer
We are wondering if we can get some input from current owners of Forest River Solera RS or S?

We want something that we don't have to tow a car. We aren't going 4x4 or anything serious - but would like to go where big rigs can't go - and be able to drive into towns and park without having to tow a car.

Does the Solera RS work for this? Does it really fit in a parking spot? Can we really drive in a town.

Or would you recommend a truck camper - which is great but then we have to load and unload the camper. Which means a lot more hassle.

We are trying to make up our darn minds and it is killing us.
Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I think you could get around nicely with the Solera. But as to parking, you will be seeking out places where you can hog a couple of spots. We have an 8'+ wide by 23' long Class C (B+). It's very easy to drive in town, small roads, etc. Parking is the main restriction, and frankly it's a dream compared to our truck and fifth wheel trailer. You can almost always find a parking spot around the corner or wherever.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 26 foot Class C before and didn't tow. It was quite easy to get about it, but you don't plan on parking anywhere too close to where you want to get.

The other really limiting thing is the rear overhang. One has to be quite careful driving into steeper driveways.

Now we have a beefed up SRW truck and a lovely camper on the back. We are medium sized people. Friends of ours have a small Class C with an overhead bunk and a rear corner bed and two medium dogs. They are not small, or not medium people either, but at 65 she still climbs up and sleeps up top with her doggie.

They wanted two beds that did not have to be taken down into dinettes and it works well for them.

Camper loading and unloading in most places takes only a few minutes with Fast Guns and electric jacks. But you need a fairly level piece of ground. On the other hand, disconnecting the Fast Guns and using the jacks to level the camper in an non level site without taking the truck out is a real bonus. I have taken some spots that nobody else wants and enjoyed a view of a lake from the elevated T/C dinette. It's nice to sleep and sit up high compared to other campers.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

1retired
Explorer
Explorer
Jim - that seems to be just too big and cumbersome to use for a long trip without towing a car. I think my husband and I are going to have trouble -we like the Roadtrek RS Adventurous - except that it is really too small for us and also too expensive. We are thinking of a camper as it is so flexible - and we had a Bigfoot years ago. We don't need tons of optional seating or anything - it's just that we aren't small people. I don't know how everyone does it in the really small rigs. I guess we may just have to find out.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
According to their web site, they call it a Class C. Dimensions are 11'8" high, 24'10" long and 7'8" wide. That probably eliminates parking in metered parking spaces due to length. At nearly 8 feet wide, you certainly will stick out in the street more than cars in unmetered spaces, and at 11'8" high, I don't believe I'd try a parking garage. At least not very fast.
My first RV was a Roadtrek Class B, and I don't remember the dimensions, but I had to find two metered spaces on the street and parking garages were not an option.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.