cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Between Dual Tires

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome is on a Chevy chassis. It has a 14 bolt rear axle with dual wheels. Currently there are 235 85R 16 tires on it. I would like to replace them with the same size. There is 1/4" space between the dual tires. What is the minimum acceptable space between tires?

16 REPLIES 16

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin also has a tire space chart on there website!

magik235
Explorer
Explorer

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
magik235 wrote:
My new tires touch each other at the bulge. I am looking for feedback on my 2 options of adding a 1/2" spacer or adding a 1" adapter.
If they touch each other anywhere, they will quickly blow out. Probably less than 50 miles of highway traveling. and I would not even consider a spacer. Find out the proper sized tire for you rig and get them on there quickly!!!

And no reputable tire store should have let you leave their shop that way!!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
My new tires touch each other at the bulge. I am looking for feedback on my 2 options of adding a 1/2" spacer or adding a 1" adapter.

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer
Good job Hooligan....

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Minimum dual spacing:
7.50R16 tires needs 10.2 inch wheel spacing
235/85R16 needs 10.2 to 10.4 inches depending on rim width.

Measure from the centerline of one tires tread to the center of the tread on other tire, if it exceeds 10.4 inches the clearance should be correct.
In this drawing, continue the centerline up to the tread to see the spacing. (HDS is half dual spacing and is also called rim offset)

Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
dalmationlovers wrote:
Do you have the proper size tire on the rears?

The original tires were 7.50R X 16.

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah i would just pick up a set of spacers which are cheap. You can get a pair for less than 20 bucks or so. As long as your lugs have enough threads your good. 🙂
2010 gmc cc dually twins, nozzles and trans. 12.6 @ 108 so far.
2013 coleman 297re

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought-- look at the GVWR plaque near the driver's area. It will tell you the OE tire size. It should also tell you the OE wheel size. You can also look at the rims (usually rear outer) for rim size.

1/4", if this is at the bulge is NOT enough.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the proper size tire on the rears? But you may need to run 215/75/16 load range E or G would be my thought.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
As the vehicle goes over rough surfaces the sidewall bulge in and out on both tires causing them to rub together and that generates heat which will cause the side walls to blow out.

It is important that proper spacing is maintained to allow air flow between them and no touching.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
1/4 inch is very close, a spacer would be the cheapest fix, 1/2 inch between tires would be my minimum..

6dot6
Explorer
Explorer
As long as they arent touching. If you find it to be a problem in the future you can always pick up a 1/4 inch spacer to put between the rims. I run them on my dually. If your getting same size i cant imagine there would be a problem man.
2010 gmc cc dually twins, nozzles and trans. 12.6 @ 108 so far.
2013 coleman 297re

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
down load this handbook and go by your rim size and the tire that you want. At what you stated, if the correct rim then 1.1 inch.
This is big so it will take a few minutes.

http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/2010_engdatabook.pdf