cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SPARE TIRE

HBJBIRD
Explorer
Explorer
Just switched from a C Class to a A Class. 2015 Thor Hurricane 34J.
Looking to add a spare. What size Wheel do I need ? Currently running
245 x 70R 19.5

Also has anyone tried this. And would it work on the new coach ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Camper-Hide-Spare-Tire-Storage-Carrier-Underslung-Easy-to-Mount-Wheel-Holder/113643323460?epid=18024658891&hash=item1a75ab8044:g:y0kAAOSw3qRbvO~c

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
A spare tire is just not worth the bother. I have been RVing since the mid 80's and have logged over 200,000 miles, have RVed to Alaska and Mexico and only had one blowout, and that was due to a 20 yr old tire an unscrupulous dealer stuck on the inside dual.

Check your tires before every trip, replace them around the 7 yr mark and your odds of needing a spare are nil. If the odds are against you and you have a problem, due as mentioned above, make a phone call.

Think about it....I can't remember even using a spare on any of my other vehicles.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a Visa card. Lot less weight and less stress. A 19.5 tire can be purchased and mounted anywhere. In over 50 years of RVing I've only had 2 flats. Don't overthink this...JMHO.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 2 spares but they are in my trailer with the Explorer.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

HBJBIRD
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like it would ? I need to look into more. Was wondering if anyone has tried it with an A Class like mine.?

Thanks.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Visit a truck tire dealer, let them look at what you have and tell what you need to order......and maybe sell you one too.

The front rims and the back ones might not be the same.

Because of that, I carry a spare "tire" only without a rim.
If you do that, you need to specify that the truck they dispatch needs to be capable of putting your spare on the rim at the side of the road......OR be able to tow the entire rig to a place that can.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
My spare is on the back but about 3' off the ground. That's quite high to lift a 150lb. spare wheel and tire. Requires 2 people. I like the mount you posted but I don't have space under the Class A to mount it. That would fit on my TT but not under the MH. Have you checked to see if you can mount it under yours?

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.