cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Special Drivers License

Uma___Papa
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you that have Class A's, do you have to have a special drivers license? If so did you have to prove you know how to operate your rig to the DMV?
31 REPLIES 31

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
West Virginia requires a CDL to drive a truck at or above 26K pounds GVWR.

West Virginia does not require a special license to drive a personal RV or a rented moving van used for your personal belongings, regardless of weight.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
My GVWR is 20500 lbs plus 5000 lbs towing {25500}, so I am 500 lbs under Nevada DMV class A licenses requirements but my actual weight might be over 26000 lbs, I am glad they don't weigh us motorhomes on the freeway or I would be in trouble.

:B

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:

A licensee does not make one a good driver...knowledge and attention is required.

Ask any driver who got his DL in Europe and he will tell you.
I got my DL years ago in Poland.
The exam included knowledge how to change spark plugs, clean distributor, drive curvy road on reverse and merge into traffic. All with stick shift.
Unlike US, punching the brakes and cutting abruptly into next line is not consider merging in Europe.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
The only bad thing about the driving test is parallel parking these things.

I do have CDL for heavy trailers.
The test involved parking the trailer inside square box painted on test area.
COMING FROM THE SIDE

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Whatever licensee your home state requires is accepted in all 50 states.

A licensee does not make one a good driver...knowledge and attention is required.

Yeah, but when you "move" to another state, to get the license there your current license has to match their requirements, otherwise face the test as we did.

It sure does not make one a good driver, just a legal one.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Washington State no special license

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever licensee your home state requires is accepted in all 50 states.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
TX driving test they had us stop in the middle of a quiet side street and back up in a straight line for not more than 30 feet. Not a big deal. Parallel park would be fun ๐Ÿ™‚ used to have to do that to get into a parking spot behind my townhouse, and it was on a curve!

Same here in New York. However, he had me back up until he told me to stop. I'm thinking about 60/80 feet. Had to keep it straight within a foot on either side. Had to be sure to first get out of the coach and check out what was behind me, then get back in, check both mirrors blow the air before proceeding with backing. No parallel parking for the test.

Oh BTW...for those considering going for their "special" license...always drive with both hands on the wheel! I had gotten a "polite" warning about that from the instructor on one turn I made. It was the very last turn at the end of the test. He was a nice guy so he didn't bother me about.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
TX driving test they had us stop in the middle of a quiet side street and back up in a straight line for not more than 30 feet. Not a big deal. Parallel park would be fun ๐Ÿ™‚ used to have to do that to get into a parking spot behind my townhouse, and it was on a curve!
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The only bad thing about the driving test is parallel parking these things.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
A special license is required here in New York State. They use to refer to it as a Non-Commercial CDL, but a few years ago they changed it to an "R" Endorsement. A road test is required in the motorhome. You have to have someone with an equivalent or higher class license accompany you on the day of your road test.

The funny part of it is, most people don't know about it. Not even a lot of law enforcement nor the folks at the DMV. When I went into apply for mine, the girl at the info desk had no clue what I was talking about. The other woman that she then called over had no clue either. It wasn't until they called the manager over, that she finally knew what I was asking for. It took her awhile to find the proper paperwork for me to fill out. Afterward, they immediatley issued my "Learners Permit" and scheduled my road test.

The lady at the DMV explained that very few people actually bother to get this endorsement when they purchase a large RV. She said that the dealers are not informing the buyers when they are interested in purchasing a Large RV. My reply to her was, that if your own DMV office employees didn't know about it, perhaps the dealers and moreso, the salesmen don't know about it either? She agreed that more needs to be done to let folks know about this requirement.

In discussing with a New York State Trooper friend of mine, he explained that the chances if getting pulled over and being checked for the proper license is slim to none. Even if you did, they would most likely just advise you to get the proper endorsement and let it go at that. HOWEVER, should you get into an accident, then, you could be ticketed for driving out-of-class (driving without the proper license) and as a result, your insurance carrier could refuse to pay on any claim resulting from the accident.

The other thing here in New York is, there is no set rules for what is required of you when you take the road test. The only thing that you can do is get the CDL handbook and take into consideration what is in the road test handbook for a CDL.
Mark & Cherie

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I know that in CA and most of the 50 states RV are exempt from special DL requirements.
Meaning I can drive 15 tons or 25 tons bus, but when registered as and RV, no CDL is required.
There is much more to it as 45' require special DL, some states might require air brakes endorsement, but that is specific question you might ask with DOT division in your state.
Per my experience DMV employees are just trainees on the law and have no obligation to know specific.

Idaho is the same, just a standard license.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
A special license is required here in New York State. They use to refer to it as a Non-Commercial CDL, but a few years ago they changed it to an "R" Endorsement. A road test is required in the motorhome. You have to have someone with an equivalent or higher class license accompany you on the day of your road test.

The funny part of it is, most people don't know about it. Not even a lot of law enforcement nor the folks at the DMV. When I went into to apply for mine, the girl at the info desk had no clue what I was talking about. The other woman that she then called over had no clue either. It wasn't until they called the manager over, that she finally knew what I was asking for. It took her awhile to find the proper paperwork for me to fill out. Afterward, they immediatley issued my "Learners Permit" and scheduled my road test.

The lady at the DMV (who very nice and helpful)explained that very few people actually bother to get this endorsement when they purchase a large RV. She said that the dealers are not informing the buyers when they are interested in purchasing a Large RV. My reply to her was, that if your own DMV office employees didn't know about it, perhaps the dealers don't know about it either? She agreed that more needs to be done to let folks know about this requirement.

In discussing with a New York State Trooper friend of mine, he explained that the chances if getting pulled over and being checked for the proper license is slim to none. Even if you did, they would most likely just advise you to get the proper endorsement and let it go at that. HOWEVER, should you get into an accident, then, you could be ticketed for driving out-of-class (driving without the proper license) and as a result, your insurance carrier couldrefuse to pay on any claim resulting from the accident.

The other thing here in New York is, there is no set rules for what is required of you when you take the road test. The only thing that you can do is get the CDL handbook and take into consideration what is in the road test handbook for a CDL.
Mark & Cherie

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmeade wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I know that in CA and most of the 50 states RV are exempt from special DL requirements.
Meaning I can drive 15 tons or 25 tons bus, but when registered as and RV, no CDL is required.
There is much more to it as 45' require special DL, some states might require air brakes endorsement, but that is specific question you might ask with DOT division in your state.
Per my experience DMV employees are just trainees on the law and have no obligation to know specific.
You should read 12804.9 of the CA vehicle code about an endorsement on your class C for 5vers with GVWR between 10k and 15k lbs and a noncommercial class A for GVWR over 15k lbs. (GVWR not actual weight).

Talking about motorhomes, not trailers. Check 12804.9(b)(3)(E): Class C only for a Motorhome less than 40'.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4