Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spray on Bed Liner Roof coating

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
Evening,
I read an article recently about an outfit, I think in Florida, that is putting spray on bed liner, like the Rhino liner, on RV/Motor home roofs. The article said that once applied there would never be another worry about roof leaks/chalking cracks as there is no chalking any longer. Sounds almost too good to be true????
Has anyone had this done? If so did you have it done by a local shop or did you have it done by the folks in Florida? Are you pleased or disappointed?
I spoke with a local RV shop and was told that the spray on stuff can't be used over a rubber roof. Also that the application had a life-time warranty (whatever that might mean).
29 REPLIES 29

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the weight issue, they are removing the old rubber roof before putting this down. So when factoring in the weight you have to subtract out the weight of the rubber roof. I would be it's close to a wash because I don't think this stuff is all that heavy. If it's 200 pounds spread out over the entire roof, that basically almost nothing.

On cost, I can tell you I just had a friend that replaced the rubber roof on his motorhome and he told me he paid over $5000 to replace it. He did it at Camping World so I think it could have been done cheaper, but if you are at a point where the rubber roof needs to be replaced, it sounds like it's close to the same in price as this stuff.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
iquilt888 wrote:
I just spoke to the Rhino folks here in town. At the moment they are unable to do the process due to they don't have a facility that would accommodate a motor home or RV. Plus they told me you can not have any color but black. That seems rather odd to me. Is that a correct statement or does anyone know?

Now to those of you that have had the process done. Just how much weight do you figure the new roof added to your bottom line weight? Since weight is an issue when it comes to mpg and other issues would not want to put something on the roof that the roof supports could not handle.

Well,
I'm not sure how all the other independent installers operate but, the one here in San Diego, basically only applies it in "Silver" or, a reflective version of Silver. As stated quite a ways back, the company can, for a fee, paint the radius edges, all the way around, to match the colors of the coach, if so desired. But, based on their tests, they have determined that the Silver color is the best for reflecting the suns heat and, other elements. And, it has also been stated that, it's a "quieter" roof now because of it.

As for weight, it's not even a consideration. First off, by adding a few pounds here and there, it's not going to make any difference in gas mileage. Second, if they remove a rubber roof, then install theirs, the difference will be minimal.

Again, I've not had it done but have seen several of them at the repair facility where our coach is being repaired for body damage. And, it looks absolutely great.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks khahuna,

I think I could live with an additional 200#. Even though my coach is tan, dark brown, and beige I could live with a white roof.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Enjoy your travels.

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is white ... under the white is a gray membrane. I was told that if and when the white wears off to bring it back and it would be recoated.

I haven't reweighed the coach since the roof was applied but, an estimate would be an additional 200#'s.
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
On a side note, one of the mods on here put down the liner himself on his rv about 1 - 2 years ago and did a pretty big thread on it.

Does anyone have a link to his thread? I cant seem to find it though the searches.

Thanks.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
camping connection of kissimmee quoted me $100/foot. They dont remove the old membrane though.

they have ads on the radio for "Rhino Seal" for houses now. You never have to paint again. :B

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke to the Rhino folks here in town. At the moment they are unable to do the process due to they don't have a facility that would accommodate a motor home or RV. Plus they told me you can not have any color but black. That seems rather odd to me. Is that a correct statement or does anyone know?

Now to those of you that have had the process done. Just how much weight do you figure the new roof added to your bottom line weight? Since weight is an issue when it comes to mpg and other issues would not want to put something on the roof that the roof supports could not handle.

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
I had my 37' coach done at David's Permanent Coating's, Inc this past April. The coast was $4839.00. We noticed that the rain hitting the roof was much quieter and the interior was easier to cool down in this Florida sun.

As far as sealing openings, I just finished changing out my 36 watt solar system for a 400 watt system. I had previously run the wiring down the side of one of my sewer vents. When it came to removing the old wiring it was a real chore ... the roofing material did not want to let go. Soooo, I would say it does a great job of sealing seams.

If I ever purchase another MH the first thing I willl do is have the roof sealed using this process ... money well spent in my opinion.
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Islandtime wrote:
Just curious, does anyone have a "ball park" figure on what it would cost to have the done on a 37 ft Class A?

We've had a lot of leaking problems, especially around our Fantastic Vent which has stained the ceiling. We are going to try and have a new headliner put in, but don't want to end up with the same problem after that.

Had ours done last year...$135 per foot. Our total with new skylight and exhaust fan was $5000.00 Worth every dollar. I do not have money to throw away but I love this roof and know I will never have to go up and reseal the seams.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Islandtime
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, does anyone have a "ball park" figure on what it would cost to have the done on a 37 ft Class A?

We've had a lot of leaking problems, especially around our Fantastic Vent which has stained the ceiling. We are going to try and have a new headliner put in, but don't want to end up with the same problem after that.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Fire Up, if this last one was written to me I tried to point out I'm not being critical of this system and if I had a rubber roof motorhome I'd have no problem putting it on. My only question was about the statement, "When done, your roof is "completely" sealed. And there are NO USUAL POINTS TO LEAK!" Obviously there are other holes in the roof and other places that can leak. But otherwise this seems like a good idea.

msmith1199,
Well Sir, my point was/is the fact that, excluding the entry points, i.e. A/C units primarily, the roof is now, (when sprayed) a single, one piece, sealed unit. Of course if a gasket under an A/C unit should fail, then yes, you have potential for migration there. It's just basically a "cap" for the whole roof. In my opinion, it's seriously better than a rubber roof and based on its design, almost better than a fiberglass but, that's debatable. I love my fiberglass roof. So much so that, there's not many like it out there, machine buffed and hand waxed. But, that's me.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Fire Up, if this last one was written to me I tried to point out I'm not being critical of this system and if I had a rubber roof motorhome I'd have no problem putting it on. My only question was about the statement, "When done, your roof is "completely" sealed. And there are NO USUAL POINTS TO LEAK!" Obviously there are other holes in the roof and other places that can leak. But otherwise this seems like a good idea.
What people are not understanding, is that they spray the material "around and into" ALL potential leaks. It forms a inpenetrable coating, so I have to agree, it is "completely sealed and there are NO usual points to leak".

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
The prime reason for developing this system was to replace deteriorating or damaged rubber roofs. Most other roofing systems are a bit more tolerable to damage, wear, foot traffic, tree branches and more. But, as I've seen and stated, folks that have those other roofing systems in place, are having the coating applied. This is one of those things that, in my opinion, the benefits seriously outweigh the pitfalls. In that, I'd make sure that, all roof vents, (i.e. plastic plumbing vents and the like) are either new or are in great shape and, I'd take a look at any and all other "what ifs" before committing to having the coating sprayed on.

I'm not selling this process. I simply have had the "Bed liner" done on a few trucks and, this process and chemical is as durable, and long lasting as one can get. The folks at the repair facility where ours is having body and paint work done also stated that if and when something ever needed replacing or repaired, they'd be happy to "Blend in" any and all re-application of the coating, once the item(s) were replaced or repaired.

The answer is simple, one is either interested in it, or, they're not. To me, having basically a "bullet proof" roof for as many years as we'd own it, would surely win over a once in a great while, need to replace an item that was sealed under the coating. And, as stated, the coating can be removed and repaired. Your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND