cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Camper Van Towing TT?

Bill_Lynch
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see much on here about camper vans and I don't think of camper vans as motorhomes, per se.

Anyway, I've been thinking to sell off my Class-C motorhome and acquire/build a short Sprinter camper van for touring and traveling and for towing a mid-sized travel trailer up to 22ft for long camping trips.

Does anyone have experience with towing travel trailers with a Sprinter or other camper van?

Stories, Opinions and Pictures would be great.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
This is definitely our long range plan. Right now we pull a small trailmanor (foldable trailer) with a v8 4runner. When we get closer to retirement, and will travel a lot more, we plan to buy a larger trailmanor and pull it with a custom built Sportmobile. The Sportsmobile will be comfortable for day trips (portapottie, fridge, sink, swivel chairs, table), but good for me to take out alone for one or two nighters or to use as a spare bedroom when a grown child comes along (a comfy bed) and also make an excellent tow vehicle (cargo space).

Our v8 4runner is 12 years old, and should be replaced in the next few years. I hope to go with the sportsmobile then.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I urge you to look at the Forest River R-pod trailers. They start at 2,200 lbs with nice tank capacities (double?) at about the same price as a Scamp or Casita. Lots more bang for the buck.Very aerodynamic as well.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Lynch wrote:
I don't see much on here about camper vans and I don't think of camper vans as motorhomes, per se.

Anyway, I've been thinking to sell off my Class-C motorhome and acquire/build a short Sprinter camper van for touring and traveling and for towing a mid-sized travel trailer up to 22ft for long camping trips.

Does anyone have experience with towing travel trailers with a Sprinter or other camper van?

Stories, Opinions and Pictures would be great.

Thanks.
Not a bad idea. Have thought about that ourselves. Use the van conversion as a daily driver with some basic amenities like fridge, portapotty, and sink. We like the idea of having our snacks with us and/or using our own bathroom and ability to wash hands.

We even looked at these Scamp 16' to pull for the shower and sleeping accommodations. I believe that the ready to roll weight on the 16' is about 2,000 lbs. Should not be any problem for the smallest of conversion.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
This lady tows a small TT behind a Van
http://rvsueandcrew.net/

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the local Airstream dealer selling Airstream Interstates with Sports (basically Airstream Bambis), so it can be done.

I'd check your weight limits. You can order a Sprinter 3500 in a 144" wheelbase which had the heavier payload. However, these are unibody vans designed from the ground up for fuel economy, so they won't be able to tow as much as the older Express or Econolines.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I am doing that this winter. Found a little Shasta Compact (@1400lb) near me in Wisconsin and towed it down to Orlando for a friend. It didnt feel much different towing it than my husband tear drop (@600lb). Here is my RVan (17') and the Shasta (13', ignore the vent stuff, all sorted out).

She has a Grand Marquee that cant tow something too heavy but my 1992 GMC 3500 could tow something bigger. My RVan started out life as a conversion van, the owners added the heat/AC on top and an electrical port. I gutted the van and rebuilt the inside for just myself and my 2 dogs, the teardrop is for when my husbands travels with me.

When my husband had a tent then we seemed to have problems at some campgrounds, they wanted to count it as 2, but I told them the van was just the kitchen, TV room, living room, office and the tent was the bedroom. I just think they didnt want any tents at some places. With the Shasta I have not run into any problems and tell them the unit is 30'. Yes, we do plug in both but two 15 amp, not a 50 amp. Those big units are longer in total and use way more of everything than we do. We are still only 2 people.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

AZRick
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the story about this on www.roadtreking.com. Mike did it with his road trek and a TT.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Flagstaff Arizona in October and saw a family doing exactly what you're talking about.It is totally doable.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
My 22’ Class B T1N-generation Sprinter 2500 has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.according to the van converter.

I know people with the same model who tow utility trailers for bikes, watercraft, etc. But I can't say I've ever seen one pulling a travel trailer.

One thing to keep in mind is that campgrounds and state parks sometimes rent sites based on "one camping unit" plus vehicle. Sounds like a ranger might define your set-up as two camping units. A sink means plumbing and holding tanks, fridge means power (generator and/or electrical system).

Can't tell you what a short Sprinter can tow, but you could look it up.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Forget towing a TT with a small van. You could tow one with a large van like a 3500 or 3.5 ton Chassis. Those have either V8 gas engines or diesel. Then the toad is not wagging the dog. But your talking over $100,000 US to buy it and build it out. Better you tow a tiny van behind your B.

Bill_Lynch
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am thinking in much lighter, leaner terms than motorhomes.

Like a basic camper with a foldable seat bed and perhaps a cabinet with a refrigerator and small sink.

All the real camping would be done from the trailer and the van used for daily driving but could support an overnight or beach day.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
ummm, Class Bs *are* camper vans.

For reference, see this forum's title:
Class B - Camping Van Conversions
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter