Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Class C 4x4 Conversion

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am looking at buying a Class C sprinter based RV, but I would really love 4 wheel drive as I wold like to do some winter RVing. I know about White Feather conversions, but the reviews are horrible. I was wondering if anyone knows of a company doing 4x4 conversions using the sprinter 4x4 components so it would be closer to a stock sprinter 4x4 than a complete custom job.

Thank you
23 REPLIES 23

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
CoeyCoey wrote:
SweetWaterSurprise wrote:
I've got a Phoenix Cruiser that has the QuadVan 4X4 conversion. Handles great off road.

I have a Ford E-450 RV right now. Just hate the way it handles. The steering is so lose and sloppy compared to the Sprinters. I'd rather have a 2wd Sprinter than another Ford.

Fixing the E450's sloppy steering isn't difficult, just requires a good alignment shop, and possibly some larger sway bars.

If you took your motorhome to QuadVan, it will handle much better when it's done, since they at dual Bilstein shocks, a steering stabilizer, and sway bars as needed.

I have Bilstein shocks, a steering stabilizer, and sway bars. Still handles like ****. Every Ford and Dodge I have owned had crappy steering and death wobble issues.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
CoeyCoey wrote:
I've got a Phoenix Cruiser that has the QuadVan 4X4 conversion. Handles great off road.

I have a Ford E-450 RV right now. Just hate the way it handles. The steering is so lose and sloppy compared to the Sprinters. I'd rather have a 2wd Sprinter than another Ford.

Fixing the E450's sloppy steering isn't difficult, just requires a good alignment shop, and possibly some larger sway bars.

If you took your motorhome to QuadVan, it will handle much better when it's done, since they at dual Bilstein shocks, a steering stabilizer, and sway bars as needed.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
CoeyCoey wrote:

I mean order a van and have them cutaway the back. Not cutaway meaning chassis cab.

I see what you're saying, but IIRC the vans are unibody and the cutaway models have a boxed frame of sorts. Sounds much easier to convert a cutaway to 4WD.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer

SweetWaterSurpr
Explorer
Explorer

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Response to Phil....Gary, off topic but:

- It looks like your 4X4 Class C in the photos had it's stock front coil springs replaced with leaf springs? Does it ride rough in the front, as a result?

It used to ride rough, Phil. Canada Spring added a third and that took care of the porpoising.

- Also, is that black structure on the rear your rooftop boat rack?

Yeppers. Hand crank on drivers side.

- Did the 4X4 conversion on your Class C include replacement of the rear differential with a limited slip or locking differential?

Not to my knowledge. I will drop a line and ask the shop. I bought this after the conversion was done. I know there is not a locking diff. If I hadn't bought this...the next best answer is a locking diff and a lift.

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

MB doesn't make a 4x4 Sprinter cutaway, so anything on a van cutaway would have to be a conversion to get 4WD. There are pickup-based Cs on the market that have factory 4WD but I don't know if they fit your needs as far as space and/or price go.

I mean order a van and have them cutaway the back. Not cutaway meaning chassis cab.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
CoeyCoey wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I did check them out, but none of their floor plans work. I am looking for something where the bed is usable with the slides in. I do a lot of long distance traveling and I often stay the night in rest stops, or off highway exits and wouldn't be able to extend the slide for sleeping.

If I went with a new RV, are there any manufacturers that make Class C's from a cutaway? If I ordered a Sprinter 3500 4x4, will anyone turn it into a class C? This would likely be about similar in cost to getting a conversion done I suspect. Plus, I would get all the options I wanted in the Sprinter, and could delete the options in the RV I will never use. Resale would be very good as well.

MB doesn't make a 4x4 Sprinter cutaway, so anything on a van cutaway would have to be a conversion to get 4WD. There are pickup-based Cs on the market that have factory 4WD but I don't know if they fit your needs as far as space and/or price go.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I don't know how big you need or what your price range but here's a Gemini based on the Ford Transit with either diesel or gas. Add a Quigley 4x4 conversion and you're at around $100,000. I don't know if you are 100% set on a Sprinter, but the Transit is pretty comparable other than a 700 lb lower GVWR.

Thanks for the idea. I did check them out, but none of their floor plans work. I am looking for something where the bed is usable with the slides in. I do a lot of long distance traveling and I often stay the night in rest stops, or off highway exits and wouldn't be able to extend the slide for sleeping.

If I went with a new RV, are there any manufacturers that make Class C's from a cutaway? If I ordered a Sprinter 3500 4x4, will anyone turn it into a class C? This would likely be about similar in cost to getting a conversion done I suspect. Plus, I would get all the options I wanted in the Sprinter, and could delete the options in the RV I will never use. Resale would be very good as well.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Quad Van in Portland is doing conversions on Transit platforms. They had 3-4 in progress and several completed when I was there last April.

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ujointoffroad has a good rep but they don't work on sprinter chassis. To my knowledge they only work on the ford van/van cutaway based class b/c.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
Go big...be happy....

There is an outfit in Kamloops BC...Sportsman Light Truck. They'll convert most anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Sportsmanlighttruck/

Gary Haupt

Gary, off topic but:

- It looks like your 4X4 Class C in the photos had it's stock front coil springs replaced with leaf springs? Does it ride rough in the front, as a result?

- Also, is that black structure on the rear your rooftop boat rack?

- Did the 4X4 conversion on your Class C include replacement of the rear differential with a limited slip or locking differential?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The reason Whitefeather gets a bad wrap is the electronics.... Their built quality isn't the issue. But the Ford-spec Dana 60 won't play with the Mercedes stability control (and ABS, and crosswind assist) to the point that some owners have had warranty work blocked by MB, and eventually MB sent legal notice to Whitefeather that their conversions are not FMVSS compliant.

Nobody else converts Sprinters.

If all you need is winter traction, automatic tire chains might be a good solution. If you want a rear 4x4 motorhome, the E-series is still the best bet. A QuadVan E450 motorhome will handle better than 2WD.

As mentioned, Transit 4x4 conversions are possible too, but it still will be far more limited than an E-series.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Go big...be happy....

There is an outfit in Kamloops BC...Sportsman Light Truck. They'll convert most anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Sportsmanlighttruck/

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/