cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Reliability

Papa_O
Explorer
Explorer
After, more or less, deciding on a class B sprinter as first rv purchase, I read some articles/threads today questioning their reliability.

I'm sure there have been many comments over time regarding the cost of ownership of sprinters vs. Fords and Chevys etc.

Also, is it true that sprinters need to go in for maintenance every 10,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for your input.
60 REPLIES 60

Explorer
Explorer
When considering mpg differences between gas and diesel, you also need to consider the price for a gallon of diesel. Recently near me when gas was $3.80 a gallon, diesel was selling for almost $5 a gallon. Yes, you will average in the low 20's mpg with a Sprinter - most report 21 to 23 mpg and I have not heard any higher, but on flat straight limited access highway driving my gas Roadtrek gets 19 mpg. When gas goes up, diesel seems to go up more. When gas comes down - as it is now, the diesel goes down also but still not enough to justify (in my opinion)the difference in cost.

And then there is the service consideration - Mercedes parts are priced commensurate with the Mercedes name. Some Mercedes service centers service Sprinters and some do not. I am not sure how many general service centers will work on a Sprinter. Chevy parts are easier to get and for engine work you don't really need to go to Chevy as long as you can find a shop that can handle the weight and height of the B.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Belzar
Explorer
Explorer
Take negative feedback posted on internet with a big grain of salt. People are more likely to post negatives than positives, whether it is complaints about restaurants or RVs. If you search for problems with Ford or Chevy-based RVs you'll find lots of issues just as if you look for problems with Sprinters. However, these posts are useful to evaluate features. Typically, Sprinters are the top of the line for most manufacturers and contain their newest features. Some people like these features but some people prefer simplicity. The RT Etrek is great example of this - complicated components but great bookdocking capability. The engine mounted generator has a lot of fans, but there are still proponents of bolting a propane generator to your van. Sprinter mileage is a consideration for many, especially those of us who believe we will see a significant (doubling or tripling) of fuel prices over the next decade. Density of authorized service centers is also a consideration.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

My work had about 10 of the Sprinter vans. All of them needed a new transmission around 100,000 to 120,000 miles. It was about $4,000 for the transmission, rebuilding was not a option, as the dealership says "There is nothing to rebuild" or they do not sell a kit to rebuild them or something.

Anyway they will get better mileage than the E-250's that the boss started buying to replace the older vans. I think he will still buy a few sprinters, but not so many after the transmission problems showed up. A $2,000 rebuilt Ford transmission at 175,000 miles is much easier to accept. He has several trucks (GM and Ford) that have more than 200,000 miles on them, and not all have needed a transmission, except the Sprinters. . .

He now has one Sprinter cab and chassis with a flatbed on it. He normally buys used Ford vans, but all of the Sprinters except the flatbed where bought new, and maintained properly. I think we had a couple of GM vans, but not many. The pickups where pretty much split 50% GM and Ford, depending on what looked good at the dealer only auctions. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
06ViewH wrote:
We have a 2006 View on the Sprinter chassis. After 85k miles and no issues we are satisfied. I'm guessing FedEx wouldn't use the Sprinter chassis if it was problematic. I rarely post about how well everything runs (just completed 13k miles on trip to Alaska), but if I had problems - I'd be posting all the time to find answers.

I do all my own maintenance and see no need for a Mercedes Dealer.

Love ours...

2006 view is NOT the current sprinter-other than the name they are nothing alike under the skin

have you noticed a pattern here. everyone who has raved about the sprinter has the TN1 that was until 2006-some rv's that say are 2007 are using 2006 chassis. everyone here who has criticized the sprinter has the newer version 2007 and beyond-beware of the modern emission controlled laden sprinter

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
From what I understand, because parts can be hard to get, or take a long time to get them, FedX has their own parts depot. Not saying Sprinters are any better, or worse than any other van, just that FedX can't afford to have long down times.

06ViewH
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 View on the Sprinter chassis. After 85k miles and no issues we are satisfied. I'm guessing FedEx wouldn't use the Sprinter chassis if it was problematic. I rarely post about how well everything runs (just completed 13k miles on trip to Alaska), but if I had problems - I'd be posting all the time to find answers.

I do all my own maintenance and see no need for a Mercedes Dealer.

Love ours...
Meyer Meyer - 2006 Winnebago View / 2008 22 C-Dory

Recent travel map: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a07a538ddea1dca24

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, Papa O. Be aware that the comments here are concerning 2 different Sprinter models. The T1N 2002 thru 06 here in the USA, and the NCV3, 2007 on up. The T1N is a way less complicated vehicle. Has a 5cyl inline engine that can basically burn any kind of diesel fuel and use virtually any kind of diesel motor oil, is a VERY reliable and time proven robust engine. The T1N's major issues seem to have been the turbo resonator which is an easy and cheap replacement item when needed and rust around the windshield, bottom of the sliding doors etc.
Now the NCV3 is a whole different animal. The engine has all kinds of emission related items, as do all diesels nowadays, that are giving some folks regular problems. The engine itself is a very reliable motor with few issues you ever hear about. It also takes a specific type of oil, (low ash), that must be used to protect the diesel particulate filter (DPF), and must use low sulphur diesel fuel. The electronics are more complicated too. We've had some programming issues with the HVAC controls also on our 2013 van which I made the 80 mile round trip to the dealer to get fixed.
Like I had mentioned earlier, alot of folks have no problems with their Sprinters, and some do, and when they do it's the pits to get fixed sometimes. Be aware of where your closest Sprinter dealer is, Mercedes or Freightliner, as they both can do the warranty work
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Several observations from a satisfied Sprinter owner:

• I find it amusing that people claim Mercedes dealers (or Dodge/Freightliner dealers for older Sprinters) are required for any service. Warranty, yes but we had little need for warranty service. I have had alignment done at a tire store with no qualms on their part. I have had a turbo resonator (admittedly a simple job) replaced at a Goodyear tire store that had access to online shop manuals.
  • Listen to Sprinter owners regarding their experience, good or bad. Discount any others.
  • As others have commented, we chose a Sprinter based on both the tall, all metal base van for floor plans we liked and the expected Sprinter reliability and fuel economy. We have not been disappointed in any of these expectations.
  • We have only used Dodge dealers (due to our model Sprinter) for the 10K service intervals but have never experienced any of these outlandish charges. Mercedes dealers are beyond my experience level.
  • Dealer service costs are increasingly expensive for all vehicles. Informed decisions on what is really required and pertinent as opposed to all they would like to do should always be the case as should be considerations of alternative service sources.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
BudJ wrote:
Hi Papa O,

There appears to be some Questionable Stuff and BS:

"and the MPG is about double for a diesel"
THE biggest exaggeration I have ever read on any B forum!
Bud

Bud, if you're basing this on the previous post I made please note that I said it was an assumption. But I don't think it's far off based on my experience. My previous gas B got 11.5 MPG and I have friends who have a Sprinter B that gets 22. That's pretty close to double.

You can run some other scenarios with lower MPG ratios and fiddle with the price differences, but in almost all cases the costs come out about the same for gas vs diesel.

I do fully agree that the biggest determining factor in purchase is the floor plan though.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ wrote:
Hi Papa O,

"The US is also Mercedes's #1 customer for Sprinters"
Please prove it, thanks.

After reading class B forums for about 10 years, no one buys a Sprinter based on reliability or reduced cost, period. It is other stuff like floorplan.....

Have fun shopping.

Bud

I guess I'm the exception to your 10 year experience.

I bought my Sprinter for reliability; mpg (Dodge PW Excel gasser = 12 mpg; Sprinter PW Plateau diesel = 22.5 mpg); longevity; and interior ceiling height. The floor plan was the last of my considerations because they are all basically the same... (major difference being which side the galley is on. I prefer the passenger side galley).
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Papa O,

"The US is also Mercedes's #1 customer for Sprinters"
Please prove it, thanks.

After reading class B forums for about 10 years, no one buys a Sprinter based on reliability or reduced cost, period. It is other stuff like floorplan.....

Have fun shopping.

Bud

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob_nestor wrote:
I own a gas Class B, but I think in the end the costs of a gas and diesel will come out about the same.

If you assume diesel costs on average 10% more than gas and the MPG is about double for a diesel, then the money saved on fuel alone should more than cover the costs of the "A" and "B" services.

For instance, if gas is $3.50/gal and you get 15 MPG, diesel is $3.85/gal and you get 30 MPG you should be about $1,000 ahead at 10,000 miles and $2,100 ahead at 20,000 miles with diesel. (Unless I screwed up the math that is!)

unless it's an Imperial gallon i know of no modern sprinter van that gets 30 miles a gallon

smoline
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the KEY issue regarding Sprinter ownership, from a recent convert from Ford/Chevy-based Class Bs to a Sprinter: Repairs. If your Sprinter breaks down or has an urgent repair issue while on the road, you have a very serious problem. Do a Google search on authorized MB Sprinter repair facilities in your area or in the area(s) you intend to visit. You will likely find very few. We discovered this issue on a recent camping trip to North Carolina (we live in Virginia). In all of NC there TWO authorized MB Sprinter repair facilities. In SC there is ONE. We eventually had to return to Virginia in which there are four MB Sprinter facilities in the entire state. They may not break down often, but if/when yours does, know where the nearest repair facility is.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 2 Sprinter RV's. Both have had front end issues from the start. Alignment on both was terrible from the factory, (not RV caused), one of them had a bad steering rack and a bad out of spec front wheel. Finding an alignment shop that can do an alignment on one here in the Kansas City area, with a population of 1 million plus, was the pits, as neither the single Mercedes Sprinter, or the Freightliner Sprinter dealer(s) could do an RV. Ended up having to have a Ford dealer do it. By the way, the closest Sprinter dealer to me is 40 miles away.
If you let the dealers do your services, it will be very expensive. I do my own oil changes which is VERY easy on a Sprinter, and keep all receipts.

Alot of Sprinter owners never have a problem with one. Many do. I'm 2 out of 2 with issues.
Our next RV if, there is a next one will be on a Ford Transit chassis or van....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I own a gas Class B, but I think in the end the costs of a gas and diesel will come out about the same.

If you assume diesel costs on average 10% more than gas and the MPG is about double for a diesel, then the money saved on fuel alone should more than cover the costs of the "A" and "B" services.

For instance, if gas is $3.50/gal and you get 15 MPG, diesel is $3.85/gal and you get 30 MPG you should be about $1,000 ahead at 10,000 miles and $2,100 ahead at 20,000 miles with diesel. (Unless I screwed up the math that is!)