cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Reliability

Papa_O
Explorer
Explorer
After, more or less, deciding on a class B sprinter as first rv purchase, I read some articles/threads today questioning their reliability.

I'm sure there have been many comments over time regarding the cost of ownership of sprinters vs. Fords and Chevys etc.

Also, is it true that sprinters need to go in for maintenance every 10,000 miles?

Thanks in advance for your input.
60 REPLIES 60

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
CHSMITHINS wrote:
We have 152,000 miles on our 2007 Roadtrek RS and haven't had a lick of problems.

Of course, the diesel engine is just now getting broken-in.

PS-- I certainly don't mean to whistle past the graveyard, but it really is true ... so far so good.

is your sprinter chassis 2006 or 2007.

T1N or ncv3

CHSMITHINS
Explorer
Explorer
We have 152,000 miles on our 2007 Roadtrek RS and haven't had a lick of problems.

Of course, the diesel engine is just now getting broken-in.

PS-- I certainly don't mean to whistle past the graveyard, but it really is true ... so far so good.

Oilman
Explorer
Explorer
Kendall69

According to Vincentric The Sprinter is The BEST Fleet Value in America for 2013 and 2014 in a few different categories. This info is from a company who actually researches these things and sells the information to those interested in REAL data.

I owned a beautiful 2011 Chevy Avalanche. This car left me stranded 3 separate times. It wiped out a camshaft, lifters, and Three throttle bodies among other things. Should I now warn anyone who owns one of impending doom?

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Sebtown wrote:
Settle down everybody. There are lovers and haters of all brands. Some have actually owned the brand they love or hate, others maybe not. For some it's reliability and cheap repair other's it might be fuel economy and design. The amazing thing is we have choices. There is no right or wrong answer for everyone because this is not test, it's just personal preference. It would be more constructive if people said "I like my (fill in the make, model and brand) because.... we would all benefit.

Ditto....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a sprinter fan. Having said that if servicing was better in North america I would consider one.

Roadtreks e-trek packages require a lot gvwr. at this time the largest transit DRW is still 700 pounds less than a sprinter van.

I do think Roadtrek will make some transit models. I don't know if they will be able to make an e-trek transit.

Sebtown
Explorer
Explorer
Settle down everybody. There are lovers and haters of all brands. Some have actually owned the brand they love or hate, others maybe not. For some it's reliability and cheap repair other's it might be fuel economy and design. The amazing thing is we have choices. There is no right or wrong answer for everyone because this is not test, it's just personal preference. It would be more constructive if people said "I like my (fill in the make, model and brand) because.... we would all benefit.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
kendall69 wrote:
What I love about the Sprinter fans is they NEVER EVER calculate the high maintenance costs and deduct that from their fuel mileage costs.

Simple things like twice as much designer oil at $8-$12.00 a quart. Fuel filter every 10K miles $60.00 - $200.00.

Clear engine codes $95-$125.00 ea. time.

Injector replacement $1,200 - $2,000.

ERG valve replacement OFTEN - $500.00.

I have BOTH vehicle a 2007 Sprinter and a 2014 E350, both drove $7,500 miles. Ford never went to the dealer. Sprinter needed 2K in labor to clear a code and 10 days in the shop.

Sorry Sprinter people, but I will take poor fuel mileage all day long over high maintenance costs and loss of vehicle for weeks on end.

The Sprinter is a VACATION KILLER. If your retired, then that's OK because you can afford to spend 10 days in a motel while they figure out what's wrong with your vehicle. For the average guy that has 2 weeks vacation - losing 10 days in the shop is a VACATION KILLER. Add a couple of kids on that trip and your life would be a living H double hockey sticks.

In July I had the choice of buying a new Sprinter MH or a Ford E250 - I went with the E30 and have never been happier.

I'm not the ONLY one that thinks Sprinter don't hold up.....http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2014/1409_charter_communications_purchases_800_2015_ford_tra...

Fedex is already going Promaster

But you posted this back in April, 2014.
"I own a Sprinter and it's been a good vehicle, but now it's getting up ion miles,"

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering which way Papa O ( OP) will go / went.
Hope he lets us know. Curious.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

love_to_camp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a2008 and at 4200 miles,had a problem,covered but cost would have been 2600$ ran ok good until jan,2014 then haven't had my van running correctly,I,m on the road a lot,so it has been repaired in 6diffeent dealers for the same trbl and it's still not fixed,they are to complicated,if you get one make sure you buy the longest contract you can buy to cover yourself

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
What I love about the Sprinter fans is they NEVER EVER calculate the high maintenance costs and deduct that from their fuel mileage costs.

Simple things like twice as much designer oil at $8-$12.00 a quart. Fuel filter every 10K miles $60.00 - $200.00.

Clear engine codes $95-$125.00 ea. time.

Injector replacement $1,200 - $2,000.

ERG valve replacement OFTEN - $500.00.

I have BOTH vehicle a 2007 Sprinter and a 2014 E350, both drove $7,500 miles. Ford never went to the dealer. Sprinter needed 2K in labor to clear a code and 10 days in the shop.

Sorry Sprinter people, but I will take poor fuel mileage all day long over high maintenance costs and loss of vehicle for weeks on end.

The Sprinter is a VACATION KILLER. If your retired, then that's OK because you can afford to spend 10 days in a motel while they figure out what's wrong with your vehicle. For the average guy that has 2 weeks vacation - losing 10 days in the shop is a VACATION KILLER. Add a couple of kids on that trip and your life would be a living H double hockey sticks.

In July I had the choice of buying a new Sprinter MH or a Ford E250 - I went with the E30 and have never been happier.

I'm not the ONLY one that thinks Sprinter don't hold up.....http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2014/1409_charter_communications_purchases_800_2015_ford_tra...

Fedex is already going Promaster
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
jrobe wrote:
My two cars are a Mercedes and a Lexus. There is no chance though that I am driving a Mercedes RV 500 miles from a Sprinter mechanic. No thanks. I would much rather have a Ford or Chevy RV on, for example, the Alaskan Highway.

And you think there are Ford and Chevy dealers everywhere on the Alaska Highway? Good luck. 😉

Yes, I have driven it in a Sprinter.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jrobe wrote:
I would much rather have a Ford or Chevy RV on, for example, the Alaskan Highway.
Done that twice without a second thought. I don't consider myself lucky. 🙂
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
My two cars are a Mercedes and a Lexus. There is no chance though that I am driving a Mercedes RV 500 miles from a Sprinter mechanic. No thanks. I would much rather have a Ford or Chevy RV on, for example, the Alaskan Highway.

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I have driven a Mercedes, a sedan, not a Sprinter. Rented one for a week in Italy a few years ago on vacation, drove it all around Umbria and Tuscany. Nice car. For our new RV we went with a Ford based PW Pursuit B+ because we wanted the full size shower and bunk up front for our granddaughter. We are very pleased with it. To each his own.

Jim

Sebtown
Explorer
Explorer
There are people who drive Chevrolets and there are people who drive Mercedes. If you have only driven the former you will never understand the latter. It's not just about MPG, the Mercedes based Sprinters simply drive like their S class sedans. I bought one because the opportunity presented itself. My last van conversion was a Ford, this one a Sprinter. I prefer the comfort of the Sprinter.