cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting from scratch! Which model of van do you recommend?

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just joined the site, and I have a basic (but important) question. I'm at the very beginning of buying a class B van and converting it into a simple camping and road trip vehicle.

I don't plan to install kitchenette or shower or anything like that. It will be a passenger van a lot of the time - taking kids to soccer games, etc. When we go on camping trips, we'll just load gear into the back of the van - including tents & sleeping bags. I plan to have bench seats in back that can fold down to make beds. We'll use the fold-down seats as beds occasionally, but usually will use tents for camping.

I'm looking for advice on which model of van to start with. I plan to buy a new van, and then have it converted. I am thinking about the long wheelbase, high-roof version of one of these models:
โ€ข Mercedes Sprinter
โ€ข Dodge Promaster
โ€ข Ford Transit
โ€ข Nissan NV (but not sure if they have a long wheelbase model)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for posting this, but if it is, here are the questions (or advice i'm looking for):

Which of these is best for reliability? I.e. frequency of repairs? Cost of repairs? Ease of finding qualified repair centers?

Do you have any comments on comfort (for driver and passengers)? I want a van that is very comfortable for long road trips.

And, finally, I would appreciate any general comments or recommendations on selection of a new van for a conversion.

Thanks!
Clint
53 REPLIES 53

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clinto wrote:

Bill: Just wondering why you recommend the mid-roof Transit rather than the high-roof? I'm 6' 1" and like the idea of being able to stand up straight in the back of the van.

The medium roof will have an interior height of 6'. This should work for you 95% of the time.

Going for the higher roof van will mean you'll have a higher wind profile, lower mpg, and you'll find there will be places you won't be able to park or pull into (fast food drive in windows, etc). If you live in a HOA community, it is possible a high roof van won't be permitted.

I've driven across country in a high roof van (not a transit) and side wind gusts can definitely have an impact on handling and safety.

When I camp in the van, most of the time inside is spent sitting, sleeping or using the bathroom, and not standing full height.

That said, I've learned how to comfortably camp in a Toyota Sienna mini van which has an interior roof height of 4'. I prefer the mid roof in my Roadtrek, but when needed, have learned to adjust to the lower roof in the Sienna.

Before you decide to buy any high roof van, drive it in city traffic and then on the highway. If it doesn't feel top heavy and you aren't worried about being kept out of some drive thrus, it might be the van for you.

FYI: I've had two sprinter vans. They were great most of the time. But when they broke down, especially in remote areas, it was a real pain to get them fixed. Expensive too. All too often I had to leave the van and rent a car to get home, while having the sprinter towed to the nearest Mercedes dealer (which one time was more than 300 miles away).

I learned my lesson - I want the reliability and local parts availability of a Ford or Chevy.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
the seats swap can be limited by crash test requirements/ air bags.

some don;t want the inherent liability of swapping a customer's seat.

Mike

Clinto
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, I really appreciate receiving so many replies so quickly. One of the great features of the internet is forums like this one, where people volunteer their time to help other people. Thanks for contributing to this forum.

A couple of responders noted correctly that I'm not really looking for an RV. It will essentially be a passenger van with seats that can be removed for cargo, or that can laid down flat to make beds (and with a TV and a good sound system installed and a couple of other electronic enhancements). We want to be able to carry kids to soccer games, or head out for a camping trip with another family and all of our gear in one vehicle. So this isn't really an RV question - so I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post the question - but the responses have been helpful.

Bill: Just wondering why you recommend the mid-roof Transit rather than the high-roof? I'm 6' 1" and like the idea of being able to stand up straight in the back of the van.

Shearwater: I spoke briefly with somebody at Sportsmobile (in Fresno, CA). He said that they can't replace the factory driver and passenger seat. I sat in a Ford Transit and thought the seat wasn't very comfortable. A small, local van conversion company told me that they could replace the driver and passenger seat with something more comfortable. Not sure why the guy at Sportsmobile said he couldn't do that.

Based on the comments here and a few reviews I've read, I think the two candidates for the van are Sprinter or Transit. I need to do some more homework on those two models.

Thanks again to all of you.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Sportsmobile website (www.sportsmobile.com). They will work on any of the brands you are interested in and specialize in custom installations - you design the van mostly using their modules and they will build anything ranging from a complete customized van to a van with just a few additions. there is also a wealth of B van info on their site. We just sold our Sportsmobile - after 10 years and 110,000 miles, everything is holding together extremely well.

Regarding the make of the van body, I would stay away from the Promaster just because it is a Fiat. Sprinter models can have a longer body than the longest Promasters or Transits. The Nissans are quite short and have little interior space.
Advanced RV Sprinter

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
X2. Ford Transit, high roof, EcoBoost. Best bang for the buck, drives very well, and doesn't lose power up hills. Plus, it is easy to find parts and service for.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Transit, with the Eco Boost.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
what is used by American Pickers television personalities.

I'd use another criteria- the TV show has used various vehicles and is advertising the model they use in the show.

OP, a B typically has a galley, fridge, sofa to bed, toilet, shower (many outside shower too), power etc.
B's are better suited for singles or couples ( and dog)

the raised roof is great for standing in teh galley or the shower, other than that it is weight, a structural change, an MPG chewer and perhaps less safe in a roll over.
we have raised roofs because in a B we need to walk around inside the van

Basically you are describing a passenger van with camping stuff in the back.

I'd suggest you look at various vehicles until you find what suits your needs as described, or rethink how you are going to use it.

If you are going to be hauling a bunch of kids, keep in mind that most vans and suvs do not meet passenger car safety standards...roll over, crumple, airbags and seat restraints.

a mini van may better suit what you need- safety, MPG, driving comfort and parking and room in the back for tents and camping gear

Mike

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clinto wrote:

Which of these is best for reliability? I.e. frequency of repairs? Cost of repairs? Ease of finding qualified repair centers?

And, finally, I would appreciate any general comments or recommendations on selection of a new van for a conversion.

Thanks!
Clint

I've owned Sprinter, Ford, Dodge and Chevy vans. If I were going to buy a new one to use as a daily driver as well as a camper, I'd go for the medium-roof Ford Transit wagon (passenger version) with the eco boost v6.

If you haven't had a chance to drive one, you can rent a stripped down Transit for $24.95 a day at most uhaul stores. Driving even the stripped down model will help you see why this is such a good choice.

Sprinters are nice, but expensive to buy and maintain. The dodge (fiat) is interesting, but read the reviews on Edmunds. A lot of negatives.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Clinto,

Many new RV'ers start out with a basic unit then they discover how much the family enjoys camping/ being in the outdoors.

Most RV'ers go through 3 upgrades before they finally land on the size of RV that really fits their needs.

I always advise new RV'ers to not go basic. Look at larger RVs as a first RV. Since an RV doesn't get driven much you can find good used units for low prices which will provide years of trouble free enjoyment.

If you are set on a setting up a van, I would go with the Ford Transit based only on it's what is used by American Pickers television personalities. They drive it all over the east and central states carry items they purchase at junkyards.