cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting my education process....

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome forum!!!! been reading it for the past few days.

I do like Class B's but they are just outside of my budget, well at least the ones I like.

I'm looking at C's since we are 4 (parents and 2 young adult children)
Potential long vacation would be all 4, but long weekends would most likely be with 2. I'm not interested in slides. Other than traveling, sleeping etc, hope would be that more time is spent outside. So the extra room that a slide provides is nice but just something else that can go wrong.

I like Class B's for their mobility and figured C's would be the next step for focusing something bigger but not as restrictive as an A when it comes to driving around.

Reading through the site, there seems to be trend(at least it seems to be my impression) that introductory priced level rv's have more issues either right out of the dealer or shortly there after. I glanced through the A's and sort of saw a similar trend.

after reading a long post about quality (related to C's) by ron.ditmer there was a line that said it all to me.

When a motor home is driven, the house bounces, resonates, shakes, and leans, many thousands of times, representing a series of extended continuous earthquakes

Are the lower priced/introductory RV's in A and C something to shy away from? I get that adage you get what you pay for, but dropping 70-90k is not pocket money. LOL if it were, I would be driving a Roadtek E-tek or something from Coach house ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, is the quality that different? is there something that can be upgraded or done to lessen the issues?

What about appliances in the introductory category? do they get shaken up enough to have issues earlier in their life cycle?

Thanks
60 REPLIES 60

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
The best deal you will ever make is when you buy your first motorhome. When you buy your second one, you will have to find some way to dispose of your first motorhome--either by selling it yourself, through consignment, or trading it in. That's when you'll find out how much they depreciate in value. Even those who buy units that are 7 or 8 years old are shocked at the loss in value after a couple of years of use. That's why I think it's better to buy what you really like--not settle for something because it's less expensive. Those who lose the most money are those who are not satisfied with their RV a year later and trade it in at a big loss in depreciation.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
...and that's all y'need !

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to buy a C in the fall of 2008, which left little time to think and choose. A four year old former rental seemed to be big enough (though it seemed small with MIL along) and we had the cash to buy it. I think that is important. Everything worked and still does. We mostly bought new vehicles and kept them to their end (still have a 92 van and tent trailer we camped with for many years) but this felt different. The four year old MH had only 50k miles on it and isn't up to 100 yet after 8 years with us. No engine work needed yet. It has been in the garage once for brake pad replacement and to the tire shop twice (once free due to Michelyn recall). No other major expenses. It doesn't leak as long as I do my caulking faithfully. It isn't a high end RV by any means but it has been perfect for us.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
For the OP, read the thread "Rear Corner Bed Bothersome?" RV queen beds with access/egress on both sides are hard to find in 26-27 foot floor plans unless there is a bedroom slide. Twin beds may be better to avoid climbing over partner and waking them up to go wee wee. Some can sleep through anything, some have insomnia or other problems staying asleep.

NYCAP
Explorer
Explorer
Around what size do Class A MHs pass the 26,000 lb. GVWR? Just starting our search. We're looking to come in cheap (around 20K), because we're expecting to buy something wrong the first time out. As a 30 year boat captain I've seen too many people buy mistakes their first time, dumping a bunch of $$$. We've been looking at Class C's around 30', because we'd like a separate bedroom, but the pickings locally are slim and I've been seeing a lot of leak damage in the Class C's. I avoided looking at Class A because thought I'd need to get an "R" endorsement on my license, which is needed in NY if you're running more than 26,000 lbs., but it recently was brought to my attention that not all Class A's cross that line. Being a guy I like big vehicles. So a Class A would be nice, as well as expanding my search criteria, but I don't want to waste seller's time looking for what I'm not allowed to drive.

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg - thanks for the figures. How much usage do you get out of it? I am basically looking for context behind the numbers ๐Ÿ™‚ do you do monthly trips, long or short drives?

27' is my upper limit for now and for driving, parking etc. more opt to use it than a bigger one.

Shadow57 - rentals are very expensive and like you, I'd spend a day disinfecting everything lol.

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion and experience. Since you are so handy to be able to do repairs on vehicles, I would sure buy used. I too considered renting because we already had a horse trailer with a living quarters, we used to show so we did some camping. My husband said we didn't need a MH, my dogs & I thought otherwise. While I was like you researching I found one for $60,000 I really liked. Then on craigslist one day I saw one I actually knew the owner listed for 1/2 as much. It wasn't as pretty and fancy but I knew where it had been and the truck was exactly the same as the $$$ one with less miles. We bought it and have had more fun fixing up the inside nothing that cost a lot new backsplashes and just personalization. Best thing is we have no payments, I love it. The husband that said we didn't need one uses it more than me. Also if I took the grandkids ATV riding in a brand new one I would be a mean granny makes for much less stress camping IMO.

I still MH shop (It was fun) and I bought over a year ago, I'm still thrilled with what we got. Would love it to be newer but insurance would just cost more, everything is a trade off. I have 2 slides and sure appreciate them when we take grandkids... they bring friends.

Also didn't rent because it was $4,000 per week, hated to throw that $$ away, and I'm a germ freak and that is the reason for MH.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We are in a 27' Class C which is easy to drive and park and has plenty of room for 2. Figure a minimum of $1,200 month for a new RV. Payment, ins, gas,camping, maintenance, storage, license. It is a money pit. But we enjoy it and have our ducks in a row. I am going to Hershey too in order to vet other options as we get closer to buying new, We'll probably go with a 27' Class C again.

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
Health Issues yes which is why RV is good thing, but won't hinder climbing on roof or stuff like that.

Enthusiastic about....
Prep - absolutely both - we play on each other strength and I do as I'm told kidding. Currently we do split up cores for general trips based on what our skill sets are.

Participating - absolutely

Clean up - General clean up both have zero issues with doing that. Showing video of tank dumping and she enthusiastically said "You're Ok with doing it" lol no issues. She is good about learning stuff and being a backup for stuff like that, just rather not do it often.

tires - lets just say, even though our cars all have sensor, I still check their pressure. my cars don't give read outs of pressure, just if it they are below the tolerance level. Tires are to important to blow off.

Speaking of pressure, how are the system for trucks/rv's? somewhere in my notes of things to look into I have a couple of tire pressure systems that others have used to monitor tires.

USED RV - I CRINGE at the thought of buying anything with a motor used. so many people just don't the basics. I can imagine what they don't do to the home part. As I mentioned, I'd probably would hire someone to do a home inspection.

as before - love the info on this site.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Some other things to think about: Does anyone have disability or other health problems that make using a ladder and sleeping in the overhead impractical? Are both you and your spouse likely to remain enthusiastic about total expense and effort in preparing for, participating and clean up after road trips/camping?
If 90% of touring and camping will be just you two that should be a major consideration about length of motorhome. If you buy used, make sure that RV generator, roof and dash air conditioners, furnace, fridge, water heater, converter charger, house batteries, and fresh water pump/plumbing are in good working order. Check awning fabric too. High repair/replacement cost items. Also make sure that engine, transmission, entire brake system including brake fluid replacement. Have tires inspected for sidewall cracking. If over 5 years old by imprinted date codes, tires may fail and flailing steel belts may damage your rig and disrupt your trip. Tires are the "Achilles heel" of RV's. If not already equipped, have solid metal valve stems installed on all six wheels for easy tire pressure checks,( Borg or Tire Man, etc) Do not use tire valve "extenders" despite cost of solid metal valve stems.

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
BTW - Since I've started this process some 8 months ago, I have been setting aside 2 sets of funds.

1 - has been towards building up deposit/down payment. at least $500 a month
2 - has been for what I'll call RV start up cost - all the little things that will be needed (hoses to general maintenance supplies) on hand. $100 a pay cycle

My logic was/is that this process would take about a year. More I can save towards the deposit, the less I would need from savings. The second one I setup a direct deposit to a separate account that I have. Rest of my pay goes to my primary account that I use for bill paying and stuff. Mind game I play on myself of out of sight out of mind. Some like to over withhold on their taxes and get a big refund (I hate that concept). I rather it go to my bank and what little interest I get is more than what government gives.

That second account is where I will pay myself when I do my own work. It is what I do with my cars. Dealer charges about $100 to do an oil change with Air and oil filters. Cost me about $40 to do it myself. the $60 goes into the bank as if i paid the dealer. with 4 cars thats 240 about 4 times a year. When a big repair job is needed that I don't want to deal with I have funds available. Forced savings and it adds up, literally ๐Ÿ™‚

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
Will eventually be my first RV Grayhaupt.

The driving aspect is the easy part. I love driving, even had a CDL for a while. drove bus and truck.

The bad weather and even being sick while on the road is part of the reason we opted for a C. we know that most trips would be with 2 but occasionally 4.

Right now I'm still in the looking/touching phase. From what I have been reading and hearing (from owners I've met) From just overall appearance, 25-27 ft seem about right. Unfortunately as a pair, we have only seen a couple in that range and the Winnebago seem to be the better one. Hopefully the Hersey show will have the other companies I noted so we can compare quality. I was in one RV that I swear if i pushed my finger hard enough i would have put a hole in the bottom of the drawer. I would love to see a coach house but that is a low probability, but Born Free and Nexus are suppose to be there so that will be cool to see.

It is after that and hopefully we get a sense of what we want, I'll start hunting. Since this is a relative unknown, I want to get as much info without sales input, thats why i like the show route.

I have a history of long term ownership of car/vans and hope to do the same with this mega purchase.

I recently started a list of basics that I'll need or potentially need and starting to price them out. I have gotten insurance info on a few RV's.

Even looked into cost of building an RV port to shelter it.

Not a cheap purchase as you noted UGH. This site has been great for info.

Frank

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You have read a wealth of good information and points of view, Frankthedriver. Maybe I missed it..but is this your first RV? If that is so, then before you buy anything, go rent one of a similar length/layout first for maybe a week. See if it meets, exceeds or falls short. If you are going to camp in winter? or rainy seasons? That's a whole bunch different than the sunny day stuff. Ya gotta know before you toss a bunch of cash down..what it is that works for you and the family.

The other thing is..RV's are like boats and ski cabins and so on...indeed, they are holes into which to pour loot. If you buy new..you pay the top buck. If you buy used...then you are going to be paying for something. Tires, fridge, furnace, tranny cooler...on and on..and none of it is cheap. Just know that. I agree too, about being handy..if you are not? shops are at $100.00 and hour.

RV's leak and develop rot...BUT, some are built with metal framing, rather than wood. There is no rot in metal framed RV's. Have leak? Fix, replace interior material..call it done. To repair the back of a standard RV from wood rot? starting at 5 grand and going up.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Frankthedriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just touching base- it has been a while
seen a few RV's on my own, even went to Atlantic City RV show with my wife. I didn't give her a clue as to which one I was leaning towards but had a list of A's C's and B's that were going to be at the show that I wanted to see and get her opinion on.

She ended up liking the Winnebago Navion/View. Which is on my short list of potential Likes so that was a good thing. We are on the same page for size and overall setup. ๐Ÿ™‚

I want us to check out the Leisure Van's Unity, Renegade Villagio, and a couple of others that I'm hoping will be at Hersey in Sept.

When we were at the AC show, I was the only one look at weights. I remember a few families sitting around talking and thinking they will most likely exceed the OCCC. I saw families that were easily 500+ pounds add Water, supplies and stuff and they would be pushing the limits, if not exceeding.