cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State RV inspections

nadsab
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about something. Is there a list somewhere which indicates which states require that an RV be inspected before getting a license plate?
2003 Four Winds Five Thousand, 21RB, 23.5', Chevy Express 3500 chassis
12 REPLIES 12

tropicdad
Explorer
Explorer
NO inspection in Florida, it is a great relief since I spent most of my life in the Houston area dealing with emissions. Also no front license plate which is a big deal to me since I have a corvette. The only sticker on your car is the registration sticker on your rear license plate.
2001 Coachmen Catalina Sport 239SO

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
nadsab wrote:
Yeah we are thinking about moving out of Michigan in the next few years curious as to which states make it more expensive to own an RV LOL.

Well then don't go to Georgia!!! :B:B

That's where I wanted to move to until I found out how they determine "HOW much you will pay" for registration for your vehicles.

In Wisconsin it's a flat rate per year approx 100.00 for MH's and SUV's, less for cars.
In Georgia it is based on the "value" of your vehicle. The newer it is the MORE you pay for your plates!!

I added up what it would cost me just for plates per year on my MH, SUV and toad....................
and got out of Georgia as fast as I could.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

nadsab
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah we are thinking about moving out of Michigan in the next few years curious as to which states make it more expensive to own an RV LOL.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm any 'special reason' we are looking to for a state that doesn't inspect to register the MH in? :B

c_liner
Explorer
Explorer
North Carolina requires state inspection within the 90 day period before getting/renewing your license plate. On the class C it is only a safety inspection, no emissions testing required. Class C are titled as a "passenger vehicle" and the cost is 13.00 plus tax. No sticker issued, all is computerized. Not sure if class A is the same procedure or not. I think the only real hassle would be the state's requirement that the vehicle has to be inside the building. After living here for 20+ years I think it is just a money grab, not a true inspection.

nadsab
Explorer
Explorer
For the record, Michigan requires none.

Let's make our own list see if we can get 50 responses from RV'ers in all 50 states LOL.

So far we have Texas, Virginia, and CT only for used...and North Carolina...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Wisconsin zip zero inspection and no emission testing.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Whoops... posted to wrong state inspection thread. Wasn't as awake as I thought I was....

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know of a list. Virginia requires an annual inspection.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
CT requires an in-person VIN verification for initial registration (on used units, not sure about new)
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
TEXAS requires an inspection annually.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
any "list" other than state produced would be suspect. check with specific DMVs for this information. Texas requires them periodically.
bumpy