cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering Stabilizer

ULTRAGOLFER
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and have a occasional steering problem when going on uneven roads. The RV seems to sway and rock back on forth when go over some roads and when wind picks up. I've seen ads for several products from stabilizer bars to shocks and was looking for suggestions and input.
8 REPLIES 8

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
ULTRAGOLFER wrote:
We have a 2014 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and have a occasional steering problem when going on uneven roads. The RV seems to sway and rock back on forth when go over some roads and when wind picks up. I've seen ads for several products from stabilizer bars to shocks and was looking for suggestions and input.

A Steering Stabilizer will do nothing for the issues you have described.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

jrlibbie09
Explorer
Explorer
I added thicker rear sway bar, in addition to the stock front and rear ones. Rear Trac bar and front Safe-T-Steer. As above, lower tire pressure per manufacturer guidelines for the weight I run. Drives a lot better, one handed in crosswinds.
Coachmen Encounter 37FW 2012
Ford Edge 2010, towed with
ReadyBrute Elite w ReadyBrake

Explorer
Explorer
The swaying won't be helped by a steering stabilizer. Better shocks like the Koni FSD's would.

However, before you do that, have you weighed your coach and adjusted tire pressure accordingly?

Also get your alignment checked------------it's often off from the factory. When you do that, be sure the caster is set to at least 4-1/2 degrees. That will make handling much easier.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

ULTRAGOLFER
Explorer
Explorer
I Have a ford v10 chassis and its a 34 foot class A and it has a 17' 3" wheel base

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell us what chassis you have. Otherwise you will not get feedback that is necessarily relevant to YOUR chassis.

Overall length and wheelbase will also help.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
I put a Steer-Safe on our prior Ford Chassis. It wasn't magic, but it did reduce the wandering and wobbling. Made the trip more comfortable and less tiring. And the price was better than most stabilizers. Our current rig is longer and heavier, so it hasn't needed one yet. The biggest part is accepting that it is a motorhome, and can't be driven like a car.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar

Moved from Forum Technical Support

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Ford chassis? Wheel base?