cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering wheel not straight

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
On my new Ford motorhome the steering wheel is not straight when going straight down the road..The front end seems to be in alignment, no pulling or off tracking. Wondering if I could pull the steering wheel and just move it a little.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
28 REPLIES 28

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I had that issue on my 2011 Fleetwood Storm after I added air bags. I was told to live with it as the time and expense necessary to fix it wasn't worth it.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:

HEY Dutch_12078

I guess maybe its you should read previous posts instead lol
no big deal
quote:Sorry about that. I should have been more specific about the shaft that needs to be repositioned. It is indeed the shaft that goes from the steering gear box to the steering wheel.

Ok, I stand corrected...

hey man no big deal your officially forgiven:B

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
usersmanual wrote:

HEY Dutch_12078

no big deal
quote:Sorry about that. I should have been more specific about the shaft that needs to be repositioned. It is indeed the shaft that goes from the steering gear box to the steering wheel.

Ok, I stand corrected...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I did discuss this with the dealer( 350 miles away) and they pretended it was fixed..looked good on the lot ..noticed it on the way home..Called Ford dealer and they said they can't do it ,don't have the equipment.I will be contacting FR as soon as I get the paperwork.. It is not a huge deal ,I had a moho like this in the past and put on a lot of miles..but it just doesn't look right..
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
T bone wrote:
On my new Ford motorhome the steering wheel is not straight when going straight down the road..The front end seems to be in alignment, no pulling or off tracking. Wondering if I could pull the steering wheel and just move it a little.

NO NO NO take it back to dealer and have it fixed under the warrenty it should have
Most likely the steering shaft has to be changed a couple splines as long as it does not have a master spline
My sparton chassis steering centered is done this way also

Read the previous few posts... On the 2007 and earlier F3's, moving the steering wheel on the shaft spline IS the correct way to adjust the steering wheel centering. On 2008's up there is a master spline for the steering wheel, and the adjustment is made by moving the pitman arm on the steering gearbox splines.

HEY Dutch_12078

no big deal

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
T bone wrote:

NO NO NO take it back to dealer and have it fixed under the warrenty it should have
Most likely the steering shaft has to be changed a couple splines as long as it does not have a master spline

Read the previous few posts... On the 2007 and earlier F3's, moving the steering wheel on the shaft spline IS the correct way to adjust the steering wheel centering. On 2008's up there is a master spline for the steering wheel, and the adjustment is made by moving the pitman arm on the steering gearbox splines.

I did read everything but I guess I misinterpreted the
QUOTE: disconnect the steering shaft from the steering gear box and move it one or more splines until the steering wheel is properly centered.

as steering column verses pitman arm (my bad)

In my terminology ""steering shaft"" is the ""steering shaft"" from steering wheel to steering box::: Pitman arm is the connection to the drag link/tie rods etc I have never seen nor used the term steering shaft to describe the pitman arm

Sorry about that. I should have been more specific about the shaft that needs to be repositioned. It is indeed the shaft that goes from the steering gear box to the steering wheel. Ours had to be repositioned when the front end was aligned.

When I read the invoice I didn't understand why there was a bolt on the bill of materials. The technician explained the new process and said that Ford requires them to replace the bolt anytime it's removed.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
T bone wrote:

I did read everything but I guess I misinterpreted the
QUOTE: disconnect the steering shaft from the steering gear box and move it one or more splines until the steering wheel is properly centered.

as steering column verses pitman arm (my bad)

In my terminology ""steering shaft"" is the ""steering shaft"" from steering wheel to steering box::: Pitman arm is the connection to the drag link/tie rods etc I have never seen nor used the term steering shaft to describe the pitman arm

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
usersmanual wrote:
T bone wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
T bone wrote:

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
So many misinformed posts.

Ford has only a single adjustment for setting the toe so it's likely the steering wheel will need to be re-centered after an alignment. Be sure to mark the original position before removing the steering wheel. There is no master spline so the wheel can be reinstalled in any position. You'll probably only need to move it 1 spline or possibly 2 at the most. The splines are on 4.5 degree centers so if your wheel is off less than that amount it will be off center slightly in the opposite direction when you reposition it..

Richard

As mentioned by RLS7201 the Ford F53 steering linkage has only a single adjustment at the tie rod. Unlike the GM system you cannot lengthen one end and shorten the other to center the steering wheel.

In addition there is now a master spline on the steering wheel to column connection and there are no adjustments on the original equipment drag link. Moving the steering wheel was the proper way to correct steering wheel misalignment on the 2007 and prior model years. It is covered under Ford's QVM Bulletin No. Q-59. Otherwise known as F53 motorhome chassis clear vision and alignment policy change.

The only way to straighten the steering wheel on the 2008 and newer chassis is to disconnect the steering shaft from the steering gear box and move it one or more splines until the steering wheel is properly centered. If I remember correctly I believe moving the shaft one spline will move the steering wheel 2*. This is normally part of the procedure if the alignment moves the steering wheel off center.

Centering the steering wheel using this method is covered in the Ford Workshop manual.

Thanks Hikerdogs, I was unaware of the 2008 changes. That puts us back to the same Clear Vision procedures used on the pre 99 chassis. Notes taken. Not sure what a SOB chassis has to do with this thread? GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. I had a 2004 dodge 2500 that had the steering wheel slightly out of line when going straight down the road. No other issue at all just cosmetic. Put 12k. Miles on the truck. I got 50k-51k.miles out each set of tires. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
So many misinformed posts.

Ford has only a single adjustment for setting the toe so it's likely the steering wheel will need to be re-centered after an alignment. Be sure to mark the original position before removing the steering wheel. There is no master spline so the wheel can be reinstalled in any position. You'll probably only need to move it 1 spline or possibly 2 at the most. The splines are on 4.5 degree centers so if your wheel is off less than that amount it will be off center slightly in the opposite direction when you reposition it..

Richard

As mentioned by RLS7201 the Ford F53 steering linkage has only a single adjustment at the tie rod. Unlike the GM system you cannot lengthen one end and shorten the other to center the steering wheel.

In addition there is now a master spline on the steering wheel to column connection and there are no adjustments on the original equipment drag link. Moving the steering wheel was the proper way to correct steering wheel misalignment on the 2007 and prior model years. It is covered under Ford's QVM Bulletin No. Q-59. Otherwise known as F53 motorhome chassis clear vision and alignment policy change.

The only way to straighten the steering wheel on the 2008 and newer chassis is to disconnect the steering shaft from the steering gear box and move it one or more splines until the steering wheel is properly centered. If I remember correctly I believe moving the shaft one spline will move the steering wheel 2*. This is normally part of the procedure if the alignment moves the steering wheel off center.

Centering the steering wheel using this method is covered in the Ford Workshop manual.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
There are only two ways outside of an accident/bent parts problem on a new large chassis vehicle that a steering wheel can be off center. Tie rod ends need to be adjusted and the toe in reset. The other way is that the steering wheel was installed a spline tooth off but that may be impossible with that chassis as there may be s blind spline which only allows for one way to install that wheel. Any large vehicle alignment shop can correct the off center wheel. If it's a smaller vehicle, a rack and pinion type steering gear can be installed not centered. This can be easily checked by turning the front wheels lock to lock via the steering wheel. If the wheels don't turn as far in one direction as the other, that R&P need to be adjusted - and that is, again, via tie rod end adjustment. If it's an "elderly" higher miles vehicle, there are several more potential parts contributors

To the OP, it is probably more annoying the a problem but don't guess - take it to someone that is familiar with these chassis - a Ford dealer or a truck alignment shop. If it's new, no big deal. If it's an older vehicle, be prepared to spend a couple hundred bucks plus on an alignment and maybe a few replacement parts.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a DRAG LINK, that is a common place to make minor adjustments to steering wheel alignment.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/