cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage dilemma

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so here is a question many of you have likely asked. I am forced by the restrictions of our community to park my NEW Newmar in a storage facility. There are no covered storage available anywhere that I can park under roof. So I am considering buying one of those Tyvek covers to protect the unit from sun, sand, rain etc.

Do how does one (or two) handle getting this huge sock,so to speak, over the unit in the first place without having to climb all over the Newmar. I personally don't like heights and have balance issues and wouldn't want to fall ending the possibly of ever camping again.

Anyone have any tested methods for making the task easy and or less dangerous?

Thanks in advance
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
13 REPLIES 13

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty sorry when an HOA keeps you from parking your RV......Wouldn't live in an HOV community if you paid me........

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job putting 2 car canopies together. That is one LONG MH! :C

That would be a less expensive way to go for the op and would be easier for the owner of the storage lot to approve it.

I used one of those tarp type canopies that are really only to be used temporarily and I left it up and out in the elements and it lasted 2 years! then all I did was buy another top.

The one with 3 poles is around 200 bucks and they are always on sale at Harbor Freight. so for two it would be $400.00 plus some added effort to secure it to the ground.

The best one I saw was a fellow RV'ers drove 2x4's into the ground and screwed the legs to the 2x4. Which in doing that you can also raise the height any length you want.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the area around you, but post an ad on Craigslist. You might be able to find a farmer, heavy equipment operators etc, with a barn or building. The favorite spot for the classic car guys in my area, are abandoned Nike missle silos. You also might check with a Comercial real estate agent in your area, large spaces may be empty awaiting sale or lease and some rent out spots.
Security is always a concern in any storage situation so look before you leap.
I tried the cover and it created more problems than it ever solved.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:

Script is not allowing to link anything with "percent" symbol , so if you want to see it, copy the address and insert the symbol in void.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w266/kajtek1/1972 20Prevost/DSC00582_zpsvimkkrmb.jpg

You can magically (?) use the % sign if you change the http: protocol at the start of the forum URL to https: (and reload) when replying. It doesn't make any sense that the forum software should behave differently in that way, but it does.

☛ You can also put HTML character entities in your text, such as unicode characters, which is handy if you wish to include some special symbols like or ⚠ or wish to include text in [brackets].

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to paste it in other topic, but yesterday script would not work.
This is the carport that I converted from 2 tent garages.
My cost about $500. When tarps deteriorated, I put sheet metal roofing.
Script is not allowing to link anything with "percent" symbol , so if you want to see it, copy the address and insert the symbol in void.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w266/kajtek1/1972 20Prevost/DSC00582_zpsvimkkrmb.jpg

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
They make a winch to hoist them but they are very heavy even with it - we do not use covers here in Minnesota because they do more damage than the weather with all the rubbing etc

In the outdoor facility I am In NO motor home has a cover - and there a total of 300 assorted RV's in it

X2
If there is any possibility of windy weather where you are parking it I wouldn't use the cover. It does cause more damage from the constant rubbing on the corners and paint.

I am originally from the Midwest where you would think all RV owners would use the covers and no one does.

You alternative is to look for an inside storage unit or ask the place you are at if you can have a metal/tarp carport over your MH. They are not that expensive and are easily put up and removed.

Metal RV carports around a couple thousand dollars.

Tarp RV carports around a couple hundred dollars.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/#garages-shelters

I got quotes for a 42' X 14' aluminum carport and they were right around $4000. One was slightly under and one slightly over.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't fall into the school that covers will scratch and ruin the paint. I used a cover for 2 years (that's about all they last - if that long) and it kept the MH very clean and shiny. But after wrestling with it I decided it was just too difficult to take it on and off and I am in fairly good shape. Aside from the difficulty , ask yourself what do you do with the cover if you take it off? What about when the cover is wet? I had a lot of trouble not only getting it off in the snow but storing the cover was problematic. Any moisture will start mold on the cover and then you debate putting it back on. Covers have their benefits but I think most will say they are a royal PITA to deal with. It's a whole lot easier to wax the MH and care for your roof and about the same cost as a cover if not less. If you can't do it, pay someone a few hundred bucks a year to wax it for you.
2013 ACE 29.2

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I nearly fell off my fifth wheel while putting a cover on. Wind tore up the cover. Threw it in the trash six months later.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Covers are not only expensive, rub the paint with the wind, kill motorhome owners who try to put them in the wind and make access restrictions.
On other hand lot of vehicle owners don't think what sunlight can do in 3 or 4 years and sometimes I cry seeing good vehicle with paint peeling off because owner choose to keep $70 worth of c**p in the garage and car sits on the driveway.
Coming to storage, once I kept my TT and boat at open storage at the lake.
The owner allow me to raise those tent garages for the season for $5 a month more.
The metal carport posted above would be the best, but also more complicated.
But don't forget to cover caps that can get UV.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Barryrv wrote:

Anyone have any tested methods for making the task easy and or less dangerous?

Get a couple of high school boys to help.
That is said only partly in jest.

I'm not a big fan of covers.
My first use probably will be my last......as I guess I didn't get it tied down tight enough or in the right places and it ended up with a few "holes" (or almost holes) at several rub points.

Keep searching. There might be a covered parking lot that you haven't found yet.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covers are expensive and extremely hard to put on. You'd be better off with just trying to get in with somebody in the country to allow you to store your RV on their property under cover. It may cost you the same as an open lot.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
They make a winch to hoist them but they are very heavy even with it - we do not use covers here in Minnesota because they do more damage than the weather with all the rubbing etc

In the outdoor facility I am In NO motor home has a cover - and there a total of 300 assorted RV's in it

X2
If there is any possibility of windy weather where you are parking it I wouldn't use the cover. It does cause more damage from the constant rubbing on the corners and paint.

I am originally from the Midwest where you would think all RV owners would use the covers and no one does.

You alternative is to look for an inside storage unit or ask the place you are at if you can have a metal/tarp carport over your MH. They are not that expensive and are easily put up and removed.

Metal RV carports around a couple thousand dollars.

Tarp RV carports around a couple hundred dollars.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/#garages-shelters

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks