cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage Solutions

McK
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that newbies and shoppers might be interested in how we increased the storage in our Sprinter. I'm not claiming that these are the "only" or "best" solutions but they have worked for us. I would hope that others will post photos of their storage solutions on this thread to provide those interested in the topic with one stop shopping for ideas.

We use one of these for dirty clothes storage and the other for storing all the things that we buy on each trip to take home such as books, knickknacks and local wines. The main drawback is that they cannot be accessed from the interior of the van.

These are smaller versions of those in the first photo. They fit under the sofa. When we pack for a trip, we take these inside and put all of our folding clothes and toiletries in them (one for each of us). During the trip, we remove what we need for each day.

We found this unit on the Internet. It provides storage for the notebook computer (used for GPS), all of our small electronics and power cables, cameras, binoculars and much more. Plus the cup holders on the front of it are much better positioned than the Sprinter holders. The unit is moveable so it can slide back out of the way when moving from the cab to the aisle. The installed plywood floor prevents it from sliding back unintentionally.

Found at one of the Sprinter accessory websites. Provides a place for the Bluetooth GPS antenna, the 4G mobile hotspot, HP handheld computer that is used as a MP3 player (Bluetooth connection to radio) and anything else that you want in easy reach.

The entertainment center. Total cost: $150. When not in use, it is kept in the storage compartment above the cab. We do not have either a TV antenna or a cable hookup so the entertainment center is strictly for watching DVDs.

My wife came up with this idea. She had Sportsmobile install a stainless steel back splash. All of the items you see here are held in place with magnets so nothing has to be stored away each morning.

Another of my wife's innovations. The green plastic pans (there is a second one behind the one that is visible) fit perfectly (after shaving off a bit of the lip) into the space and can be easily slid in and out. That means not having to get down on your hands and knees to reach the items in the rear of the cabinet.
Robert
2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter
26 REPLIES 26

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We got the mesh drawers at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They were rather annoying to install in that little space, but they really meet our needs since they provided easy access to the back of a deep shelf. Hope they work for you, too!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bit late on the pick-up for this thread.
hobbssb: where did you find the slide-out mesh drawer units? Been looking all over for such for our B. Hopefully the dimensions will work for us.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

B-ing
Explorer
Explorer
After 20 years with our PW, every year I'm still making tiny changes that make life easier.

This year I bought an open plastic box about 8x6x6" from the Dollar Store. It fits in the little cupboard above the microwave where I store the plates, coffee mugs and a few little things. The box holds our 2 stemless glass wine glasses and 2 other bigger glasses that are kept in those old purple Crown Royal bags. No more worrying about them rolling around the cupboard. The cupboard has a terry towel on the bottom to help cushion movement. I have some space at the back of that cupboard for a longer box to hold the little things. Maybe by next year I'll found that.

I found our daily maps and tourist info were ending up on the floor between the two front seats. For 50 cents I picked up a small cotton shopping bag that can hook over the arm of the passenger seat.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
Command OUTDOOR hooks are rated for up to 125 degrees F. The only time when I have had a problem with them not staying put was when I didn't do a good job prepping the surface or when I was trying to get them to stick on a "not recommended" surface.

cloftus
Explorer
Explorer
Very good advice. At high temps, as documented by Command Hooks, they will fall down. But when it's right, they are wonderful products. I use them first, then move to alternatives if they fail, just like "1775" stated.

Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a lot of faith put into the Command Strips adhesive. We hung a privacy curtain from three Command Strip Hooks on a wood surface in our Roadtrek. The curtain is not heavy. About mid-way through the first summer, with the heat that builds up inside the van during the day, the hooks fell off one by one. I tried three times replacing the hooks with new Command Strips. After the third try with all of the hooks, I put a screw into each hook to keep it from falling down any longer. Your results may vary - but don't put anything breakable up with one.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a carpenter, by any means but, with a jigsaw and a screwdriver. I was able to convert this into usable space in my Sprinter. (I use the one cup Melitta coffee system for my caffeine requirements.

Coffeemaker insert above refrigerator:

Wiring behind the insert:

Dry fit:

I added aluminium brackets to each side wall and installed a shelf

and a cabinet door with magnetic closure. I use this cabinet for easy access to dishes and pans.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We eat almost one banana a day and needed a conveniet place to store the bananas where they wouldn't get bruised. Our solution was to make a banana hanger in the back corner of the RV. We used 2 teacup hooks and an old shoe lace. The shoe lace is permanently tied to one hook and has an "o" ring tied on the other end so it could be easily hooked and unhooked. Just slide the shoe lace thru the bunch and hook over the hook. The banans are now very happy!

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We always travel with a month's supply of audiobooks from our local library. To store them out of the way, we mounted a reinforced cardbox on the wall behind the driver's seat. We added a velcro strap to keep them from falling out.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
EASY CELL PHONE CHARGER STORAGE

If you'd like the container more permanent, it can be velcroed to the wall near the outlet. The container easily holds 2 cell phones.

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
We reorganized the galley storage, adding 3M Command hooks and elastic cord to store lids and the egg poacher on the door.

mmckell
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Command adhesive hooks in my Roadtrek. However, that side can easily get very hot (even though it's fake stainless....plastic?), and command and suction cups holders fall off.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if Command adhesive would be good in lieu of magnets. I'd be leery to use it where there is heat buildup (like over a stove) because it might "cook" the adhesive, making a temporary install a lot more permanent. Of course, there is always Velcro.

McK
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly the SS on the wall next to my cooktop in the RV won't hold a magnet. I already have the magnet...

Could you attach a 2 or 3" wide strip of thin steel across the SS at an appropriate height?
Robert
2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter