cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing with jacks up, or down?

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, Folks. Unfortunately, I'm in a position where I have to keep my rig at a storage facility, on gravel. The site isn't bad, but not...quite...level, and water is creeping in a slide.

Can anyone share some advice on storing the rig with the leveling jacks down? Good or bad? I have been using standard leveling blocks, but that can be a hassle, especially by myself. My main concern is the jacks getting 'stuck' in the down position. What I was thinking is that I can move them up and down during one of my weekly checks on the rig.

Thanks in advance for any input.
2016 Forest River Forester
8 REPLIES 8

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We store ours “jacks down”! I like the idea of keeping the unit level ( our air bags will slowly leak down) as well as, “unloading” the already “very taxed” springs! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than leveling your RV there is now advantage to storing it with the jacks extended. Trucks, cars, farm equipment all set for months or years on the vehicles suspension. Leaving them extended exposes the pistons to snow and moisture. As Bobndot posted wood blocks or gravel would be a better solution to level the RV. I use wood to level and to keep the tires from sitting in the mud.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
water is creeping in a slide.

Can you turn the rv around in another direction so the water sheds away from the slide ?

Wood blocks under the tires ? Just make them bigger than the tire footprint as to not damage the tire.

Would it be possible, since its on gravel to add a bag of your own gravel under the tires to raise that side.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the jacks down sufficient to take pressure off the tires and suspension. Mice will not climb a jack leg (regardless of how powered), no traction. In addition, increase tire pressure by 20% over normal to reduce flat spotting and adjust back down when you lower the unit.

Jack pistons only need to be clean, no grease required.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Mike134 wrote:
Up. 4 less paths for mice, let them make the easier climb at your nextdoor neighbor.

Wouldn't mice climb tires easier than a greased, slippery, hydraulic jack?

For sure but the OP didn't say what type
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Mike134 wrote:
Up. 4 less paths for mice, let them make the easier climb at your nextdoor neighbor.

Wouldn't mice climb tires easier than a greased, slippery, hydraulic jack?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Lots of folks leave their jacks down with no problem. Wipe them down with the appropriate lubricant to prevent rust etc, and should be good. Probably a good idea to exercise them periodically though.

Why you are getting water in a slide is another issue and one I would I would try and figure out.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS