cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stripped screw holes

spcorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any product available that can be used to repair stripped screw holes in laminated body panels?

Thanks, Terry
37 REPLIES 37

oilcan
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
Apply Carpenter's glue liberally to wooden toothpicks. Shove toothpicks into the hole until you can't fit any more. When the glue dries (24 hours), cut flush with the panel. Insert screw to make new threads.

+1
Glue is a nice addition, but I've just crammed toothpicks in the hole
then snap 'em off,,,, works great
1994 Damon Ultrasport C class

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stefonius wrote:
Apply Carpenter's glue liberally to wooden toothpicks. Shove toothpicks into the hole until you can't fit any more. When the glue dries (24 hours), cut flush with the panel. Insert screw to make new threads.

That's what I would have said!!:)
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
An old trick my Dad taught me years ago: if the screw is going into wood, put a toothpick in the hole, break it off flush, then thread in the screw. If the screw is going into metal, loop a piece of safety wire in half, put it in the hole, and bend flush with the surface. Thread in the screw and clip off the excess. A paperclip also works well in a pinch.

Best way is to fill the hole with either wood putty or JB Weld, then re-drill, but not always an option if you're in a pinch or don't have time wait for a filler to cure.

Hope this helps.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
I use the original JB Weld. So much so I only get in in the larger tubes.

Their web site lists other products for multiple purposes. No experience with the rest.

Just mix, fill, let set, redrill.... and you are good to go.

JB WELD
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just cut some small splinters of wood and push into the hole then follow up with a couple of squirts of wood glue...

Good use for cut-up Ice cream or Popsicle sticks...

I guess that would work the same with your siding...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. JB Weld can be used to fill those holes. Just don't use too much and make a mess!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger screw?
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny