cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stronger acme nut for Digi-Sync slides?

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a stronger acme nut (such as a reproduction bronze nut) for Digi-Sync slides?

My rear slide assembly nut broke apart last year and now the front slide assembly nut broke apart.

The plastic nut is obviously far too fragile for this application. It doesn't cost much but it's a lot of labor and trouble to install it. (I replaced both myself but CW wanted over $2000 to do just one.)

The controls are supposed to sense current to the motors to stop when the slide is fully in or out but perhaps this is insufficient. I have not found info to test or adjust the current sensing part of the system.

Vehicle: 2008 Itasca Sunova 30B w/49k miles bought new.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Try contacting the Coyote. He has vast experience with the ACME catalog.

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
I would gladly buy a steel or bronze acme nut for this slide mechanism.

A shear pin is an inexpensive, easily changed part that is sacrificed to prevent damage to more expensive parts. The plastic nut that costs $1500 or more to replace makes a pretty miserable shear pin.

Note to Winnie: replacing the nut requires removal of the motor, which needs only 2-3" of clearance. That's not to hard to engineer when designing a RV.

Note: to Kwickee/Power Gear: If the nuts two dowel pins were screwed into the nut (and then secured by lock wire or a clip) the motor (or complete assembly) wouldn't have to be removed. Acme nut replacement could then be accomplished in less than an hour.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I know steel acme nut were made back in the 60's and 70's. The plastic/nylon nut may act like a sheer pin; a steel nut may cause damage to your slide mechanism.

Ray

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
On my system, the green light does flash when the nut breaks.

The supplement manuals lists:

6 flashes Stall on Rear Actuator only

7 flashes Stall on Front Actuator only

The manual doesn't define what they mean by "stall" but those error codes did flash when each nut broke.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When the nut breaks does the green led flash and if it does how many times?