cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions on a used Class C for a family of 4

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all....have a had MH, TT, and 5er over the years. Been thinking about a used class C, as we can tow our pontoon if we desire and our kids would love the idea of overhead sleeper!

We decided against a Class A (at least the models that we can afford) as they do not offer the sleeping accommodations offered by a Class C. 5er/TT would cause me to have to purchase a TV and that is an added expense we do not want.

We want to spend as much quality time with our kids as possible before the 14yo discovers it's not cool to hang with his parents! We also want to expose our 9yo son, who has Autism, to as much of the world as possible. Traveling by MH....camping, road trips, sight seeing, etc., are all positive experiences that we want him to see and participate in as fully as possible.

Family of 4 (DW, 1 Boy-14yo, 1 Autistic Boy-9yo) Sometimes granny may join us.

Primary uses include....Local CA parks/campgrounds/beaches, Lake Tahoe, Lake Havasu, Sierras, Arizona parks/lakes, perhaps a trip next year to Florida (Disneyworld!), any other yet TBD destinations!

I have several questions.....

Purchase a used $12K model (can pay cash) or a used $30K (must finance) model.

Slides or no slides?

24'-26' or 29'-30'?

Ford or Chevy?

older gas engines (ex. 460 V8) or newer gas engines

Workhorse chasis...what is it?

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
41 REPLIES 41

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Are you planning on pulling a toad? If not smaller is better or something in between. That's why we got a 28ft still short enough to get around town. There's 4 of us and one more wouldn't hurt. With kids you'll never have enough room when parked.. just kick them outside!
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
I will also side on the "bigger is better" especially since you mentioned bringing grandma along sometimes and some pretty long trips, but you also have the experience from your TT and 5er to think about spac/size/layout and how your family camps and travels.

One thing that is fresh in my head is the jack-knife sofa. A lot of folks don't like them for comfort, though we don't think ours is too bad. My DS is 10 and he has slept on it a few times, as have his friends. I've slept on it once. No complaints (though I'll admit that it isn't as comfy as my memory foam in the back bedroom!) But the thing is that it can open and close so easily and the slide doesn't need to be out to allow someone to sleep on it. My parents have a class A with a similar floorplan to our C, but their sofa is a pull out. Probably a tad more comfortable (though I just polled DS and he says they're about the same)...however they can't pull out the sleeper if their slide is in. Just something to consider and make sure of as you shop. I'm sure the pullouts aren't all like that, just something to check on.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at a Class C you won't find a Workhorse. Workhorse & Chevrolet are NOT the same. Workhorse bought the Chev. Class A P-30-32 chassis rights and redesigned it into a new chassis. The old Chev. Class C were limited to about 24'. You will find most with a Ford in your price range. Water leaks in the overcab bed area are the biggest problem with many Cs. That can be a big expense to repair.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Also some not only have overhead bunk but also some have bunk beds in one of the slideouts that make it nice too.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

ac_bill1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out several before making a decision. Several interior configurations on class C's. Some may work better for your family than others would.
The above cab bed is Ok for kids, "if" you want to go to bed at the same time as them. Units with a back bedroom may be more suitable, so you can put them to bed, and still enjoy some time watching the tube, playing cards, having a drink with your neighbors, or yacking with the wife.

Some units have the beds in the main cabin, and the bathroom and larger closet taking up the rear. They are quite nice, in that you have lots of room to sit and move around. Very open. This is fine unless you are travelling with some heavy snorers, and probably not the greatest when travelling with kids. No privacy either..just in case..lol.

yrraleel
Explorer
Explorer
class c leaks rot, and repairs Larry

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
where and what should I be looking for when it comes to leaks? overhead cab window (if it has one), under overhead cab mattress, around aa windows, all vents, AC, etc? missing anything?

Any years of MH that are preferred? Just as I have read about buying the largest you can afford, does year also apply...buy the newest you can afford?

Newest for sure
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
where and what should I be looking for when it comes to leaks? overhead cab window (if it has one), under overhead cab mattress, around aa windows, all vents, AC, etc? missing anything?

Any years of MH that are preferred? Just as I have read about buying the largest you can afford, does year also apply...buy the newest you can afford?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger is better slides for sure. Check the combined weight ratings make sure it will tow the boat. Older Chevy did not tow as much as fords not the case on newer models much the same. Workhorse is Chevy.

GOOD LUCK

Have fun
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
32' with a slide in the living area (for rainy days) anything else will get tight with 4 people over 4-5 hours. Like said above no leaks. The only thing that you said that set me back is the "tow our pontoon". You know it is a little rough to launch a boat with a HM right? You have to launch before you set up or break everything down just to launch. Class C are not 4x4 so if the launch is a little slick it could be fun getting traction to get back up the ramp. Just saying give this some thought. We have a 32' and take 2-3 grandkids when we go, most of the time they are in a lake or pool so gone out of the MH, but at night they are inside and it is cozy. Good look and being you have had RVs before you should know when you find one that meets your needs.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
Most important consideration is leakage. But go for biggest unit you can. It's a lot easier to say "I'm glad we got the 30 footer" rather than "This MH is too small." We got our first class c June last year, a 28', and in November traded it for a 32'. The 28' was too small for just wife and I. Heard once go larger than you think you need, you won't regret it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd go with a 26 foot with no slide.

Pretty much everything else depends on the condition of the unit.

No water leaks is the single biggest consideration. If it has leaked, run away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.