cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sunscreen for patio awning

RicB
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add one of those sunscreens that utilize the unused slot in the awning rail of my patio awning. I have a Dometic awning. Will the Carefree awning model work in it or is there some other brand that works well? Have any of you done this?
2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884
5 REPLIES 5

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckftboy wrote:
I have a Shade Pro. You can go to their web sight or give them a call. Mine is two piece so a section always stays on and rolls up with the awning. When I need full shade or privacy I zipper on an additional 6 feet.
I use it on my Care Free but used the same shade on my previous coach with a Dometic awning. They all fit the same way.

They indeed do all fit the same way. Ours is a Care Free bought on Amazon. You have a choice of the length (drop) of the piece that remains on the awning. The bottom piece that zips on is the same. It depends on whether you want a straight down drop or one that slants out giving you a little more room. We then ordered end pieces from Arizonarvproducts.com to give us a nice "Arizona" room.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Shade Pro. You can go to their web sight or give them a call. Mine is two piece so a section always stays on and rolls up with the awning. When I need full shade or privacy I zipper on an additional 6 feet.
I use it on my Care Free but used the same shade on my previous coach with a Dometic awning. They all fit the same way.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
We made ours and a shade for the front windshield. We bought the material at Lowes, they sell it by the linear foot in a six foot width. We bought 15 foot for the patio and 11 foot for the windshield for about $60. It is found in the outdoor dept as shade cloth. My wife hemmed up 1 inch around the patio piece. On the windshield she hemmed 1/2 in on the vertical sides, 1 inch on the bottom and we folded the top down to fit. She sewed that about 1 inch in but there is about a 2 foot flap. For the patio I bought a grommet kit and placed a grommet every 2 foot on top and at each end on the bottom. I also used Goop brand glue at each grommet making about a 2 inch patch of glued fabric around the grommet. It was a trick I learned in the Army to keep grommets in stretchy fabric. I bought a package of hangers from an RV place that slide into the grove on the awning and use an S-hook to the grommets on the patio shade. I tie down my awning when I use the shade and use bungee cords at the bottom of the cloth to the stakes on each side. When I roll up the awning I take the S-hook off but leave the rubber hangers in the groove.

One thing I noticed is that the rubber hangers for the awning has two sides that are different in size (one thicker than the other). I am not sure if the different manufacturers have a different size for the slot or if it is different models of the awnings (ie electric vs manual). But this indicates that the slot can be one of two different sizes.

For the windshield my wife sewed loops on the shade and we use command hooks to hang from. I remove the hooks before we travel. I have placed a small mark where the hooks go.

Might not be as easy as the pre-made patio shade and custom windshield covers but for $100 all in for both it works pretty well.

Mike

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There are some that the upper portion stays in the roller, and you unzip and remove the lower portion. Cant remember the name - Pro- something.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
It should work. I ordered a generic one from Amazon. Tabs slide into the roller tube slot and hooks from the tab to the screen. Some are 2 pieces, one smaller piece slides into roller tube and you can leave there all the time. The other larger piece attaches to the smaller piece with a zipper. That piece you remove before closing the awning.