cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector or Power Monitor

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use either a surge protector or some type of power monitor at a campground? Which do you use and what is your preferred model? Who doesn't use anything at all and why? Living and traveling on our boat for 25 years, we have encountered every conceivable power issue, including plugging the boat into docks in third world countries. We have never had a problem with the electrical systems or any equipment on board. What makes a campground so different? Chuck
16 REPLIES 16

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both Surge Guard energy management system and a competing product from progressive industries. I like both. The most common problem you will see is low voltage. Other common problems are miswired plug e.g. open ground, reversed hot and neutral etc.
FMCA member

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a cord end surge protector that also monitors for low/high voltage open ground and other such potential problems. I have also installed analog meters to measure voltage levels and current coach current consumption.

I have experienced low voltage in the heat of summer that could have effected the conditioner motors, missing legs of two phase power, what should have been two phase power wasn't. The power failures have been relatively rare considering the 102 times I have plugged the coach in somewhere away from home. Call it insurance, reducing hazards, labor of love or just something to lighten the wallet on.

How did you work around 220 VAC 50 Hz power over seas?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53