cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector

topher80
Explorer
Explorer
So we were suppsed to pick up our Neptune tonight, but didn't becuase o a transfer case issus with Jeep...no big deal so while we were getting our orientation one of the eletrical guys suggested that it is not uncommon to purchase a surge protector.

Sound logical until he told me that the cost around $400.

Does it ever end or is it like a "boat".....which stands for "break out another thousand."

Anyone buy a surge protector? Makes sense, but $400....REALL?

Comments, thoughts, etc. It is 50 AMP service on 2008 HR Neptune
So after 33 years
I gave up golf...we'll see how this works
30 REPLIES 30

Jackha1949
Explorer
Explorer
Surge protectors are cheap insurance against damage to all your electronics in your RV. I have a portable surge guard and it works great. Tells me when the CG power is bad like floating grounds, low power, reversed hots, etc. Camping World has the 50 amp surge guard for about $335 online which is a good deal. Surge protectors are cheap if you consider how much it would cost to replace all your electronics in your RV including microwave, TVs, etc. I have found several CGs that had bad electrical hookups and the surge guard will not let the power in my MH if the power is bad. Good Luck!
Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Patrick AFB
2017 Coachmen Leprechaun

livingaboard
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any first hand experience with problems but obviously you will find many here that have. I do believe in surge protectors and did buy the progressive industries portable one off of Ebay, several years ago. I got a really good price on a new one. I do wish I had gotten the hardwired version so I wouldn't have to worry about theft and forgetting it at home when I leave for a trip.

That said, yes, it is like owning a boat. I owned a 1968 Viking, double mahogany hulled boat with upper and lower stern. Neither the boat or RV are to be considered investments.

Do get a surge protector. I even installed a whole house surge protector in my home that wires into the circuit breaker panel.
Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
topher80 wrote:
So we were suppsed to pick up our Neptune tonight, but didn't becuase o a transfer case issus with Jeep...no big deal so while we were getting our orientation one of the eletrical guys suggested that it is not uncommon to purchase a surge protector.

Sound logical until he told me that the cost around $400.

Does it ever end or is it like a "boat".....which stands for "break out another thousand."

Anyone buy a surge protector? Makes sense, but $400....REALL?

Well, it is much like the "break out another", but it doesn't have to be a thousand. Some of us are on a hard cider income. And if you just want surge protection, by can get the Progressive Industries Smart Surge 50 Amp SSP-50 for right at about $100. It protects you from surge and additionally, the dual line circuit tester checks for: Reverse Polarity, Open Neutral and Open Ground prior to use. It does have a lifetime warranty from a company with excellent customer relations. Here is a breakdown of other products out there and how there compare with each other: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

And while we are on the 'break out another" topic, if you have a propane fridge, you might want to consider a SS-30 automatic halon fire extingusher for the LP fridge compartment. I'm finally getting around to buying one before they go up more in price.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
majorphoebe wrote:
Sure these don't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive ones, but does it do the job. Gets good reviews on Amazon

no, sljkansas splained it.
bumpy

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries PT30C Is under/over voltage does same as EMS units but has lifetime warranty, EMS is 1 year. I went with the PI.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
The PI30 is only a Surge protector, the EMS units are surge protectors plus shuts down with high and/or low voltage. I have theEMS-PT50C, it saved us last summer when the voltage dropped to 104 vac then down to 64 vac, just as we were going to bed. It had been over 100 degrees that day and we had both AC units running. The EMS shut the power down until the voltage came back up and stabilized. Others were not as lucky as we were.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
$400 as said is cheap insurance. I just installed the new 50 amp Surge Guard with remote LCD screen to monitor the power coming in from inside the coach. Instead of selling the original surge guard I'm keeping it just in case! I carry extra filters and belts, why not an extra surge guard?
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

majorphoebe
Explorer
Explorer
Have just looked at Amazon for rv surge protector. Have progressive 30 amp for $78 and 50 amp for $109. Sure these don't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive ones, but does it do the job. Gets good reviews on Amazon

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
abrasv wrote:
Just installed a permanent mount EMS50 amp from PI this past weekend. Went last year without one and worried every time I plugged in. Bought this new one off EBAY for $175 still in the box with all instructions and warranty. Well worth the peace of mind.

it would sort of scare me to buy a "used" one. I would guess that it could have received a jolt or something and unknowingly to you not be working properly. one of our electrical gurus can comment if this is possible. don't know if there are MOVs in these things still?
bumpy

PI units are lifetime warranty
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bmet2000 wrote:
What is wrong with the portable ones from Progressive Industries? I just bought this 30 Amp for my TT.

PI 30 Amp

I know it doesn't have the fancy display but it still should protect my camper right?

does not provide all of the various protections that a true Multifunction one does. check the comparison chart to see. you can't buy a $395 multifunction surge protector for $124. you wanted to pay for an inadequate one, and you bought it.
bumpy

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
What is wrong with the portable ones from Progressive Industries? I just bought this 30 Amp for my TT.

PI 30 Amp

I know it doesn't have the fancy display but it still should protect my camper right?

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
A surge protector is a must. We use a plug in 50 AMP Surge Guard. It was $379. It sounds like they gave you a fair price. I would go for it.By the way congratulations on your new coach
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO - Like a TPMS a Surge protector type unit should be standard equipment.
Only item more important maybe a sewer hose
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
abrasv wrote:
Just installed a permanent mount EMS50 amp from PI this past weekend. Went last year without one and worried every time I plugged in. Bought this new one off EBAY for $175 still in the box with all instructions and warranty. Well worth the peace of mind.

it would sort of scare me to buy a "used" one. I would guess that it could have received a jolt or something and unknowingly to you not be working properly. one of our electrical gurus can comment if this is possible. don't know if there are MOVs in these things still?
bumpy

Funny you should bring that up. I purchased a used one that was DOA. Contact Progressive industries and they sent me a new one under warranty.
My unit has detected 2 faulty 50 amp pedestals in a year. Not sure if I would have incurred any damage without it? But in my mind my unit has now paid for itself.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637