cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweating fresh water tank

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here it is, filled my fresh water tank for the first time since I purchased my 2008 Independence and drove off. About three hours later I pulled into a gas station and observed water dripping from one of my side compartments. I opened it to find that is the compartment that has my fresh water tank. The tank goes all the way through to the other side which holds my fresh water pump and fill area. What is bizarre is the entire tank is sweating. As if it was condensation on a cold glass. The tank was so wet it filled both right and left side compartments where the tank is. As far as my hands and eyes could see and feel there was no leaks. Just the entire tank wet. What the heck is going on and how would I start to diagnose or fix this problem?
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm guessing high temp/humidity and the cold water in the tank (many gallons of it) caused the tank to sweat just like a glass of cold water will sweat.

One solution to that is to fill the tank the day before, perhaps 80% then clean and dry things and top it off the morning you leave.

However it could be a leak or other problem you can not see/feel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

racerguy
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a good plan. I also have never seen anything like you described. Whatever caused this needs to be addressed so you don't end up with damage to the coach.

appd221
Explorer
Explorer
We are finally home and I'm going to drain the tank fully, then slow refill to about half way and see what happens I also have a tank heater and will turn that on to see if that does anything. I thank all of u for your help.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Appologies. I didn't meaan to sound condescending

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I would check the line to the water fill on the side of the coach or wherever. It also serves a vent. You may have a bad or broken connection from the tank. No way would a tank sweat five or ten gallons or more gallons or more unless the tank was frozen and you were in a down pour in Florida and it was 100 degrees.

I meant gravity fll location, of course.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check the line to the water fill on the side of the coach or wherever. It also serves a vent. You may have a bad or broken connection from the tank. No way would a tank sweat five or ten gallons or more gallons or more unless the tank was frozen and you were in a down pour in Florida and it was 100 degrees.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Obviously I cannot know whether you had a leak, filling accident, or this really was simple condensation. I DO, however, know that you can get a huge amount of condensation under the right conditions: high humidity, really cold water in the tank.

I have no idea what sort of filling setup you have available, but if you can get both hot water and cold at the hose, you could adjust the mix temperature to be as close to ambient as possible. This would eliminate most of the problem.

But I, too, suspect you may have had a filling accident. I know my TT FW tank vent has a tendency to not discharge air as rapidly as I can add water. And unless I pay close attention to the filling process, I can create a real gusher while at the same time only having a half-tank of water. My tank is not inside any compartments, however, and all I get is water everywhere OUTSIDE my trailer.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,M guessing you over filled the tanks and it splashed out, the tanks have a vent, and if overfilled they,ll splash.