Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tachometer question

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2002 Damon Intruder 375 on a Ford Chasis

I'm puzzeled and hope someone can answer my question. The other day everything was fine, today I get in my rv to start it and notice my tachometer needle is way past 6 just stuck there without the rig running. I started the rig thinking it would jump back and nothing, no response. All other guages work, but I haven't checked the speedometer. I am baffled???? Anyone ever have this issue?????

Also I am in dire need of a owners manual for this rig, are there any good resources for this?

Thanks Todd
12 REPLIES 12

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Ive tried the battery disconnect and reconect on the tachometer issue ... no luck. A gentleman at the rv dealer said it is most likely a broken cable to the tach ... I'm not sure if it is a mechanical tach, guess it would be best to take it to a Ford dealer not an RV dealer.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to Ford's Truck Body Builders Advisory web site (Click Here). Has the specs you are looking for concerning chassis 12VDC distribution but it will not show what Damon might have done tapping into what Ford provided.

For the electrical info you are looking for Click Here and go to the last two pages.

Concerning the tach error, physically disconnect the chassis battery, and maybe the coach batteries also, for a few minutes to clear the chassis computers. When you reconnect you might see all the gages swing thru their total movement as the computers process thru their power on self test.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky enough my breakers and fuses in the back of the rig, for the coach are labeled. I am most confused of the 12 volt fuses under the dash and 2 boxes under the hood.
I'm going to try disconnecting the battery tonight and see if the tach resets.

bobman
Explorer
Explorer
tpwelker wrote:
I have a chassis manual but nothing is specific to my RV. Example being the fuse box(s) I have no idea of what fuse does what. None of the fuse panels match mine.

While you are home turn everything on and then pull the fuses or flip the breakers and see what shuts off...then label them

might save you some headache on the road someday

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chassis manual but nothing is specific to my RV. Example being the fuse box(s) I have no idea of what fuse does what. None of the fuse panels match mine.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
An owners manual would likely have nothing to help you in it. You need a manual for the chassis that you might find at am auto parts dealer.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My 99 Jeep did something similar, the battery went dead while we were gone on vacation in the winter (Jeep at home in garage). I charged the battery and it started right up but when we drove it the tach and speedo didn't work. Went to Jeep dealer and talked to mechanic, he said probably a bad computer, I went home and unhooked the battery and hooked it back up. That was 5 years ago and everything has worked perfect since then. Try unhooking the battery and see if that does it.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That is a typical circuit. Yours could be an IC. Not much to the circuits. May have blown a part. If it is an IC you will have to see if you can find a part #. Google part # and get a source. If it were mine and I couldn't find the IC I would rebuild with componets. You would need to calibrate for full scale.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
tpwelker wrote:
haha the tap method was the first thing I tried. I just don't understand what would have made it climb from 0 to over 6 without the key in the ignition. I did have the battery on charge, maybe that did something?

Next test would see if removing the 12 volts to the tach electronics. Basically tachs change digital to analog to deflect the meter. If removing power the meter drops then it is the electronics not the meter. I doubt there are many parts in the electronics.

tpwelker
Explorer
Explorer
haha the tap method was the first thing I tried. I just don't understand what would have made it climb from 0 to over 6 without the key in the ignition. I did have the battery on charge, maybe that did something?

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would tap in the tach face plate with your finger. Sometimes meters stick. If it doesn't help may have to replace the meter, or the electronics that runs the meter. I'm assuming it isn't mechanically driven.