cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Winterizing in North Florida

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
I have Tiffin 36LA and this is our first winter. We live near the beach and for the most part the weather is moderate. However, in January or February we could have a freeze that could last 4 to 8 hours. My black and grey tanks are clean but I have about a gallon of water in the black tank. My question is should I completely drain all water or is there some other solution? Thanks,
12 REPLIES 12

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I live where it gets much colder than what you will experience. I set a bottle of water outside or even an open pan full of water. Unless the freezing wind can get to them, it takes a long time with temps between 30 & 32 to even start freezing, much less freezing them solid.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you full-timing or is the unit in storage. If full-timing the unit if it has a heated basement would be ok. You should disconnect hoses and use water in your tank. If in storage, and you are afraid of a short freeze, a good blowing out should suffice. We are full-timers in Destin and we have not had any problems yet, but if we do encounter a freeze I will drain my hoses, sanitize my water tank and fill it for the duration of the freeze. Purchase bottled water.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, now I'm assuming that you are living inside the unit at the time.

If so, then your water lines are fine. You should check, but I'm fairly certain that your holding tank and water compartment is heated when you use the furnace. If you are inside, you will be using the furnace, right? If that's the case, then I would disconnect the water line, put a decent amount of water in your water tank, since you can use the water pump when you need to potty during the freeze or have a shower when you wake up, and then hook the hose back up when everything is back to normal. I don't see a need to winterize anything.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Glenn wrote:
I have Tiffin 36LA and this is our first winter. We live near the beach and for the most part the weather is moderate. However, in January or February we could have a freeze that could last 4 to 8 hours. My black and grey tanks are clean but I have about a gallon of water in the black tank. My question is should I completely drain all water or is there some other solution? Thanks,

never mind didn't mean to post here
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rock salt works wonders also in the tanks.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Big Katuna. Run the furnace on low on the few times you are concerned. When we lived in NJ and were heading south right after Christmas, I used to do that. If you use your motorhome during the winter I don't think it is worth the cost or effort to put in anti-freeze etc.

Ed Headington

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a few hours barely below freezing at night, I wouldn't worry too much. The RV interior probably won't even get below freezing--it's somewhat insulated, after all. I know the interior of my motorhome typically is five or ten degrees above the ambient outside temperature in the early morning hours while sitting in the winter weather without heat.

It wouldn't hurt to drain the water out of the black tank, particularly if it's openly exposed. The tank itself would be okay if that small amount of water froze; however, the piping between the tank and the drain valve could burst, particularly if there's anything much to it and if it dips well below the bottom of the tank.

Of course, feel free to balance my (and anyone else's) advice out with the knowledge of which of us will have to deal with an problems....

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget it will hold heat from the day I would dump some pink in the black tank, drain water heater, open low point drains and call it good
2009 Challenger

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just run the heat on low the few nights it freezes.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
The water lines are also vulnerable so I would go with blowing out the lines and do like "dakota" said with the tanks. Heat the hot water before blow out an then shut off, it will stay above freezing.

Good luck!

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
If your fresh water tank and waste tanks are all drained except for the gallon you added back, I would purchase 2 gallons of the pink RV antifreeze and add half a gallon each to the black and grey tank and use the other gallon to pour down into the P-traps of your sinks and shower. Easy insurance for about 7.00 at Walmart.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
For four to eight hours, I wouldn't bother. We were just in South Carolina and had a short overnight at 32 degrees. We unhooked our water hose, made sure we had about 30 gallons in the fresh tank and went to bed.

We are at Fort Clinch now and, if the temps dip we will do the same. Make sure the furnace is running occasionally to heat the tanks, run the hot water heater before you go to bed, and you should have no problems.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road