cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The history of Winnebago

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I posted about the new Winnebago Retro Class A Brave over in General, but no one seemed interested, I thought it was very cool. Brave
Any way, here is a link to the History of Winnebago. It has the Era in it.
Winnebago
11 REPLIES 11

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
You can bake some banana peels in the oven.
Only the Hippy generation will get this. :B

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
Mumkin, it has room for your Lava Lamp. :B

Groovy... I'll have to dig out my 8 track tapes...
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
Back in those days they were all narrow bodies - 90" wide I think.

Then the wide-bodies became all the rage - 102". Then the slides came. Then getting over 36' in a gas rig became possible.

Those GMC's were cool - much like my Travato, only more huge. Front wheel drive and a low floor, like a van. People that still have them, love 'em. There's quite the business restoring them.

On my way to work, I notice someone is selling a late 80's/early 90's vintage Airstream motor home. Looks big - like bigger than 34' with a tag axle. They want $27k! It's a beaut though, if you like polishing aluminum.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
The retro is quite a bit bigger than the original 19 and 22 footers. That was my parents' first RV and then they later bought a GMC which seemed bigger at 24 foot. In retrospect the originals were closer to B size of today (and they didn't have slides.) BTW, they had louder generators back then too. Ask my former neighbors about that when my parents came to visit. 😄

The trend for bigger goes across the board it seems (houses, stadium seats, Big Gulps, etc.) Only the airline industry bucks that trend. 😉 In reality, I don't think the auto manufacturers make a chassis anymore that you could build as small as the past for a Class A.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wish it had the built in blender.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Mumkin, it has room for your Lava Lamp. :B

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
I love the exterior color names... mello yellow, crimson and clover, and woodstock.

Doesn't appear to be very aerodynamic though... to say the least.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a youtube on it. Very well done. And in the usual Winnebago way, several really cool, quirky features.

If I wanted a rig that big, I'd definitely be interested. I can see the Airstream set digging it too.

From what I saw, a very good value with transaction price around $80k.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I like it. Sharp looking rig. I am old school
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interior is nowhere near as ugly as the 60s and 70s models really were. Using modern finishing techniques and fabrics, styling is more late 20th century Euro than 60s. Drop down bed a big improvement over 60s pipe hammocks.

Doesn't cost them all that much to mold a front cap with eyebrows, to see if it sells.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I saw you post and also saw it in a magazine. To be honest, I did not think it was for real.