cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The "all electric" coach is probably a misnomer

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago when I was placing my order for my new coach, I had to decide if I wanted an "all electric" coach. At first mention, that sounded great -- no more propane use.

After having the coach for a year and a half now, I'm glad I took the "all-electric" option, but there are some negatives and I wanted to talk about the pros and cons.

First of all, the idea that you can use your coach, year round, without burning fuel is a misnomer. The "all electric" appliances will still burn fuel in certain circumstances, but it won't be propane. There are essentially four systems impacted by this option:
  1. Cooktop / Oven - In my old coach, we had a propane cooktop and in the new coach, it's an induction model. While the induction model is usually adequate, I'd say the propane model was much more powerful and easier to control. Sure, it caused more humidity in the coach, but it was easier to cook with and didn't require the generator to be on while boondocking. The induction cooktop is easier to clean and does the job. The electric oven is a GE Advantium Microwave / convection oven. It is a bit smaller than the traditional propane oven. Like the cooktop, I prefer the gas oven to the electric oven. But since RVs typically come with a microwave anyway, the electric ends up being a space saver. Some folks never use their gas ovens.
  2. Refrigerator - This is the old debate between propane and residential. I think most of you are familiar with the debate so I'll boil it down to more room and better temperature control in the residential refrigerator versus less electric power usage with the propane model.
  3. Heating / Furnace - The "all electric" option uses an electric heat pump to heat the coach until the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees, then it draws upon the hydrostatic water heater to provide heat. If the temps don't fall too low for too long, the two electric heating elements in the water heater will do an adequate job. However, if temps fall much lower for much longer, the system will need to burn diesel fuel to keep up. This is not a bad tradeoff and probably saves us a ton of money, but it's something to consider. The heating system will still burn fuel in extreme cases.
  4. Water Heater - Again, the water heater uses the hydrostatic heater in the basement that is heated by electric heating elements or a diesel burner. For short showers with little water flow in warm climates the electric heating elements are more than adequate to provide nearly continuous hot water, but in many other situations, the diesel burner must be activated to heat the water.
So there you have it. I'd still take the electric option if I had to do it over again. It saves us money while we are hooked up to electrical sites and I'd rather run out and add a few gallons of diesel to my tank than have to lug a spare tank of propane or move my coach when we are boondocking. But it's not as simple of a decision for everyone.

ON EDIT: I updated this to add the oven description. Also, I should add that I've got a 600 watt solar array that was not part of the electric package. It was extra.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
38 REPLIES 38

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
Fairly accurate, however, we have to disagree on your evaluation of the induction cooktop. We love ours...it is quicker to boil water and cook foods and since the heat is directly into the pot without heating the air under the pot (why it cooks faster), the coach stays much cooler. We have one in our sticks and bricks, too, and wouldn't trade either one for propane, gas or radiant coil burner units.

The biggest surprise we got was the first time we went to fire up our grill...had to wait until I converted it back to using propane tanks; no house propane to tie into.
We have the "True Induction" brand which only draws 1,800 watts total between the two burners (so they claim). We even had them replace our unit because it wouldn't heat properly the first time. I can't believe Newmar puts this unit in their coaches.

I went out and bought a stand alone "Max Burton" 1,800 watt unit and set it right on top of the cold cooktop. That seems to help but my wife complains bitterly about the lack of heat from the "True Induction."
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
How much solar do you have?
600 watts.
`

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
Fairly accurate, however, we have to disagree on your evaluation of the induction cooktop. We love ours...it is quicker to boil water and cook foods and since the heat is directly into the pot without heating the air under the pot (why it cooks faster), the coach stays much cooler. We have one in our sticks and bricks, too, and wouldn't trade either one for propane, gas or radiant coil burner units.

The biggest surprise we got was the first time we went to fire up our grill...had to wait until I converted it back to using propane tanks; no house propane to tie into.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Sounds all good except you forgot to mention certain motorhomes as my Bounder have the Propane heater/stove/water heater/refrigerator but also have a Electric water heater/heat pumps/convention oven/electric refrigerator..

Only fill my propane tank about 2 times a year and dry camping never needs the generator if I do it right..
Sounds like a good solution.
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Taking my two great nieces to Magic Springs water park in Hot Springs, AR, early June. I'll try and cookout then. They are 13 and have never traveled in an RV before, they are excited!
When I look at Google Earth, I see so many beautiful lakes, rivers and forests in Arkansas, yet I never find myself spending time there. One of these days, I'll have to make it a priority.

I did pass through Little Rock recently. But I don't think that counts.

We are doing the Pacific Northwest this summer.
`

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds all good except you forgot to mention certain motorhomes as my Bounder have the Propane heater/stove/water heater/refrigerator but also have a Electric water heater/heat pumps/convention oven/electric refrigerator..

Only fill my propane tank about 2 times a year and dry camping never needs the generator if I do it right..

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Holstein13, our experience is just the same as we only used our cooktop in our previous coach twice in 7.5 yrs., have not used the cooktop in the new coach in 16 months of ownership, yet.

I haven't even used our new electric smokeless grill that came with the coach! We have to get busy!

Taking my two great nieces to Magic Springs water park in Hot Springs, AR, early June. I'll try and cookout then. They are 13 and have never traveled in an RV before, they are excited!

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
Great post!
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G