cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The “Wall”....For Those Who Camp in the Cold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those posts to ignore, if you don’t winter camp. For the select few of us that do....this “may” be of interest.
As we all know the van section of the Motorhome offers near zero insulating value. This area of huge heat losses causes your forced air heat to run more using more propane and “drawing-down” the batteries faster!
It’s merely a “bubble” foil insulation “Wall”,placed between the van cab and the Motorhome living quarters. The “Wall” consists of two sections of “bubble” foil insulation cut to width, and velcro’d together for floor to ceiling height.
The three photos show the separate pieces and the third the two velcro’d together. When placed between the van area and the living area, it should help on those “cold” nights. The only drawback is....when rolled-up oil is rather bulky, taking up space where storage is at a premium. The plus....it weighs nearly nothing!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
15 REPLIES 15

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that doghouse continues to radiate heat for quite some time. Its pretty good though for early spring / late fall camping !!
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off topic, but when pulling into a camping spot with our Ford V10 Class C, I find a terrific amount of heat of course coming into the cab interior from the large mass of the engine for quite some time.

In warm/hot weather, I sometimes leave the hood up so the bulk of the engine heat can exit out the open hood instead of into the cab's interior. Even with our isolation curtain put up between the cab and the coach, exiting engine heat this way allows us to cool down the coach interior much faster with fans or the air conditioner.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we owned our Class C we used a set of Thermal Curtains on a length of paracord. The curtains kept the cold (in winter) and the heat (in summer) in the cab area and out of the house. Using the curtains allowed us to access stuff stored in the cab without having to go outside or to completely remove the barrier.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bet they also help a lot in the summer when it is hot. We noticed a huge difference just putting foam in the skylight and vent of out TT
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off-topic but related, I wonder if the external white windshield covers keeps the heat out better then the inside silver heat shield type reflectors.

The external cover is certainly cheaper !
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's important is maintaining trapped air between the barrier and the cab's floor, doors, windows, and windshield. This trapped air mass is what is doing the insulating.

The barrier only needs to stop the mixing/flow of air between the coach interior and the cab interior. We only use a lined curtain to block nearly all air exchange between the coach and the cab when camped in cold weather. Our Class C came stock with a curtain that snaps into place to isolate the coach and cab areas.

What also helps is covering the cab windshield on the outside with one of those heavy white covers that many use. This cover, plus only an air isolation curtain is a great way help keep the coach warmer in cold weather.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I have Reflectix covers for all windows in both cab and coach, plus a pleated pull-across curtain between cab and coach. I add a blanket on top of the pleated curtain if it is really cold.

This setup is great for keeping either hot or cold air from the cab out of the living quarters. The Wall idea probably works, too, but it does not meet the RV criteria of every item having at least two uses in order to earn the space it occupies. OK, it is true that my pull-across curtain doesn't meet them either, but it came with the Tiger and it folds into almost no space which perhaps exempts it from the Two Uses rule.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cool idea.... or warm as it were. I use the moving blankets but they could use another R20 some nights.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I’m glad to see that it is working for you folks. I hope to test it soon....if it doesn’t warm-up too much! ??
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I winter camp and have used Reflectix on all of the windows and roof vents. For the space between the house in the cab I have built a smaller version of what the OP has done. This way, I can roll everything up in a nice, neat bundle when I am ready to leave. Reflectix works well in extreme cold as well as extreme heat.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use Reflectix insulation on the windshield & side windows in our Southwind to keep heat and sun damage out.
I'm not a cold weather camper. Around the end of September I've had enough winter. 🙂

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
OK.....now I’m starting to feel foolish! 😮
Next, someone will tell me about a motorized, remote control, insulated, roll-down( like a window shade).....that you can buy, on sale at CampersWorld! :M
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
We use a movers blanket from harbor freight in the summer also. Really cuts down on heat and the A/C does not work as hard.

Installer gromlets on one edge and fastened hooks on base of entertainment ctr.

Blanket is longer than distance to floor and a bit wider than needed but removes and installs very easy and folds up for travel.
Jim Hunter

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
And yours is a lot more practical...if you want to wrap-up and watch tv! 😉
I hope this helps on those below zero nights....time will tell! 🙂
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl