cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things you need to buy afterwards

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
What are the things you need to buy after you buy a motorhome? Example: Chocks for the wheels,waterhose,. Is there a list somewhere of basis's you will need to purchase in order to function? a checklist? In budgeting for a purchase I want to be sure I have also included the extras that will be needed. Think of it as buying a christmas tree then buyings the lights and ornaments. 🙂
40 REPLIES 40

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
When purchasing dishes, silverware, cups, pots and pans, I would suggest visiting an auction. Most auctions start with "box lots" which include "boxes" of kitchen items, blankets, towels, face cloths, floor rugs, the items may be mismatched but you could get lucy and have seating for eight for a couple of bucks.

Also, I suggest camping out in your driveway for a night or two. You will be amazed at what you forgot.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Get the CW catalogue. Buy one thing from every page. That should cover most of your wants and needs. 🙂
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on dozens of trips and I always have something new to buy but the basics will get you started. Then the things that Camping World wants you to think you need - I like to set up parameters around that.

Definitely need to start out:
* Sewer hose with attachment for different systems.
* Fresh water hose.
* Non-potable hose for dumping (rarely needed in my experience).
* I keep a soap holder and bar of soap in the same compartments for washing my hands. I don't use that garbage pump stuff some people like - I want to wash my hands not swirl the dirt and germs around.
* Blue stuff. The regular walmart stuff is great. Or "treat" yourself with Porta Pak lavenders. Delightful.
* Regular old toilet paper is fine - Scott is fine.
* Good house battery (hopefully that comes with your rig).
* Lots of lighters both regular Bic type and the long ones.
* Flashlights - with good quality cheap LED flashlights available - why not have 2 or 3 - I even have a headlamp now.
* Duct tape - when I didn't have it I needed it - when I did have it - I didn't need it. Get some.
* Emergency Roadside Service.
* Spares of different bulbs used in the rig will eventually be needed.
* Journal

One of the most useful items I have is a journal. I use the front part to log each trip almost as a diary. Then I use the back part in reverse to write things down I need. Excellent memento and very helpful for keeping organized.

But the parameters for things I need:
* Avoid one trick pony types of items, such as stove toasters, etc. I prefer anything I bring on board to multi-task when possible.
* Rule of 3 - if I want something 3 times I probably will give in. Space is limited so I don't want to bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
For basic stuff, try the RV section at Wal-Mart. Most RV supply stores have everything in every flavor, but their stuff is pricey. Just look at Wal-Mart's stuff and you'll figure out what you can't do without.

However, I've found that Camping World sold some things, like a sewer adapter and a power adapter, cheaper than Wal-Mart.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Sondi
Explorer
Explorer
Keep them coming. This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the "RVing faq" page, link above. Section 2 has some good advice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
GPS, The Next Exit, Mountain Directory East and/or West, Smartphone, Campground directory (KOA?), Good highway map (large print if needed), Online banking, a few credit cards possibly a gas card that gives you a discount if you buy their gas (we have BP), ...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good digital volt meter for checking power pedestal and trouble shooting
A Progressive Industries surge guard is a very nice tool for protecting RV electronics.

Flat boards for placing under jack pads so they don't sink into ground

A quality water pressure regulator.....Watts Brand

No debt......
Credit Card with cell phone for those times you don't have/can't fix something
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... that's a very broad question. lol Some people's "gotta have" may not get used by other folks. Having said that, I start and I'm sure lots of others will chime in....

Fresh water hose (white), I bought 50' and cut it into 10', 15', & 25' sections so you always have the right length; water pressure regulator; in-line water filter; sewer drain hose; disposable gloves; first aid kit; fire extinguisher(s); emergency tool kit (even if you don't know how to use it, someone who stops to help might); lots of flash lights (they get lost easily, especially with children); rainy day games or dvds; a notepad and pencil to write down things that you want for your next trip; a laptop or tablet to access this site for questions; lots of patience and good sense of humor (things won't always turn out the way you think they will); and last but not least... duct tape, it fixes everything in an emergency.

Lots will depend on what you buy and how you intend to use it. Lost of people start out spending a night in their drive way or somewhere really close so that if they need something that they've forgotten they can just run inside and grab it. Good luck.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the must haves include one or more water hoses (I have multiple lengths, but that's a choice not a requirement), one or more sewer hoses with a drain "L" connector (usually comes as a set, again, I have several of varying lengths).

Beyond that, you may want a couple of AC adaptors to ensure you can attach whatever size your rig has to whatever the campground has. I'm a 50A rig, so I have adapters to get me connected to 30 and 20 amps (with associated loss of power capabilities). A ladder is handy. Some carry a short one to get to the side of the rig and access the rig's built in ladder to get to the roof, or you can get collapsable extension ladders that get higher access, but don't stand alone. You can also buy a wastewater tote if you are going to be camping where you'll need to dump elsewhere. I've got one, used it only once.

After that you'll find yourself adding a second set of everything from tools to dishes, kind of like having a vacation home. Then if you go to any camping store you'll find that it's full of specialized goodies that you just can't live without - you'll think.

Tony
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX

porknbeanr
Explorer
Explorer
Sondi wrote:
What are the things you need to buy after you buy a motorhome? Example: Chocks for the wheels,waterhose,. Is there a list somewhere of basis's you will need to purchase in order to function? a checklist? In budgeting for a purchase I want to be sure I have also included the extras that will be needed. Think of it as buying a christmas tree then buyings the lights and ornaments. 🙂

you're budget will never be big enough:h
2008 CYCLONE 4012
2008 F350 SUPER DUTY
2007 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER SXS
1999 CLUB CAR