cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a Class C. Anyone tow with theirs?

jas_az
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We currently have a toyhauler and is often the case, our trailer and all of our stuff is getting to be too much for our tow vehicle so we're weighing our options. I can upgrade my trailer and get a new tow vehicle but I'll end up spending a lot of money and end up with a tow vehicle that may be more than I want/need for a daily driver.

So...we're thinking about a used Class C. We camp in the mountains of AZ and go to the dunes in CA, always hauling a few quads around. The setup that I'm considering is a V10 Class C (no particular model in mind at this point) and a flat bed trailer to haul 4 quads. I'd consider a used, sub $100k model such as these:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/3815401075.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/3760052304.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/3755317088.html

My questions are:

-Does anyone have feedback on how these types of rigs do pulling a trailer with 4 quads? I'm mainly interested in pulling the mountain grades in AZ and running 65 mph on I-10 going to the dunes.
-Has anyone made the type of switch that we're considering? Any feedback?

I know that there are pros and cons to MH versus TH, but I'm more concerned about how these types of rigs perform pulling this type of weight.

Thanks for the feedback!
9 REPLIES 9

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hah, we have a Toyota with a 4 cylinder. Nope, we don't tow, but we go 55-60mph! ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ernie_Fergler
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled a 21 ft boat weighing around 4K with a 95 coachmen on a 350 chasis for 5 years with no problems. 460 engine. Didnt change the fuel mileage. Only towed around midwest, no mountains, just Misourri and Arkansas hills.
2016 Ram 3500 dually, Aisen, 4.10 gear, 4x4, 8 ft bed
2020 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2013 arctic fox 990>"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a heavier 20' bowrider with V8 engine with our class C before getting the bay boat in signature. Never weighed it but guess in the 4,000lb range on trailer. No problems and felt I could have easily pulled at the 5,000lb max hitch rating.

Another option with more tow capacity might be a larger Super C.

As far as a C vs tow behind (previous RV was a 5'er), I much prefer the C.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an e450, and the hitch is rated 5000lbs (some older ones were 3500 lbs), it will tow that weight with no problems. You will need a supplemental braking system but the V10 is stout and like the previous poster, you hardly know something is back there.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Trip out to CA. Last year. Pulling a 4200# Ford Flex.
I-40, I-17, I-15, I-5 and the 101. Our E-450 ran well with no braking or over heating problems.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
People are towing cars on trailers, why not some quads? I don't think they will be a problem, but again, as was mentioned, usually these rigs are pretty close to their weight limits.
Look around at the various brands, as some seem to manage the weight better than others.....heck, some are to the point that if you bring the family cat, you're overloaded!!:S

Also keep in mind, MHs are usually not very off-road ready....so you may find that you won't get to the same places you might have gotten to with your TH and truck.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Four quads at 600# ea is 2,400# (some weigh more around 450#)
A heavy trailer for them would be 1,600#?
That is only 4,000# on the outside which shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

That sounds about right.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four quads at 600# ea is 2,400# (some weigh more around 450#)
A heavy trailer for them would be 1,600#?
That is only 4,000# on the outside which shouldn't be a problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you go diesel you will be limited to no more than 5000 lbs in towing. Most Class C gas are very limited because of the GVWR is close to max when it goes off the lot. I also don't think too many C will be able to climb at 65 mph loaded to the bear let alone pulling a large trailer. JMHO. But then I'm never in a hurry to get where I'm going.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS