cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking ahead to winter insulation

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
We'd like to use our Monaco this winter. It gets to -40 here occasionally and Id like to keep some water in the tanks and use at least the shower and sinks.

So my options are insulating under the basement and use the furnace on the road and an electric space heater when parked.

Or wrapping the bottom of the fresh water tank with heating wires (heat tape) and keeping them on with the inverter on the road or shore power when parked. Same for sewer tanks.

I also have a diesel Webasto hydronic heater that could heat the engine and new lines I could run beside the tanks but I suspect thats not practical for weeks of being parked.

Whats best for preventing freeze ups?
4 REPLIES 4

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:

Sorry but even thinking about those minus 40 Days and Nights is just too much!

Thanks for reminding me about your northern winters.

It makes our Pennsylvania winters seem balmy. 🙂

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I tried to do that for no particular reason. I seem to have lost my sig, but my rig is an 08 Knight.

She was parked in a campground, plugged into 50 amp power.
I rented a 100 pound propane tank, filled it twice at $250 each.
I put a 100 watt light bulb behind the fridge, it kept burning out, fridge water and icemaker were froze most of the winter no damage.
Also put a light bulb in the bay where my whole house filter is, bulb burned out, filter housing froze and exploded.
Also put a light bulb in the compartment where the ends of the tanks are. It burned out a few times.
Kept the standard system heater on in the wet bay, put a light bulb in there too. the light bulb burned out.

At one point, I bought 3 1500 watt ceramic heaters (one in the wet bay, one on the other side where the tanks are, one where the filter is)

And of course the furnaces were on at 45 degrees all winter.

All in all, it cost me a grand to keep the coach at 45 degrees for no reason, I could never talk the wife into camping in the winter.

Next winter we hope to go south.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would start it up and head South.........way South!

Sorry but even thinking about those minus 40 Days and Nights is just too much!

Brrrrrh !

But seriously having lived and survived many years on the Canadian Prairies the only advice I can give You is be prepared to thaw out any liquids that don't contain serious amounts of Alcohol.

Extra insulation and heat tape will help for sure and don't throw out the aqua hot idea.

I would also suggest getting a contract with the local propane supplier to provide one of those large tanks.

If You have access to Hay Bails stuff them all around the outside perimeter and if possible construct an outside enclosed porch.

Merry Christmas!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are asking about several things that may be specific to your coach, and not be the same on my Monaco, I suggest that you try this Monaco forum. Monaco Coach owners