cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor quality

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to upgrade from my current Class A gasser to a DP. One brand that looks good is the Thor Tuscany. I don't have much familiarity with the quality of this unit.

About the only manufacturers that consistently rate highly are Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar.

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with Thor. Please tell me about the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks much for your help.
30 REPLIES 30

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Hound wrote:
My wife and I own a 2013 Palazzo 33.2. We absolutely love it. This is our second new Thor coach. Any issues, you take it to the factory and they correct it plus. My wife would not consider any other coach.

We love our coach!!!!

How's that Palazzo still holding up?

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

J-Snake
Explorer
Explorer
The Thor Tuscany originated as a Damon Tuscany. Thor bought out Damon so that's the background. I did a walk thru of a 2012 unit back in May and I was not impressed with the quality. So do some very good research before you make a choice.
J-Snake
2005 Damon UltraSport 3679 LE 36.5'
300 Cummins ISB, Freightliner Chassis

Ranger_Reg
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is simple. Look on web sites that have motorhomes for sale and you notice there's not many Tuscany's for sale. Owners love them and keep them!!!

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Hound wrote:
My wife and I own a 2013 Palazzo 33.2. We absolutely love it. This is our second new Thor coach. Any issues, you take it to the factory and they correct it plus. My wife would not consider any other coach.

We love our coach!!!!

Hey Hound, tried to PM you but couldn't. Would you mind PM'ing me? We are shopping the Palazzo and would love to hear some real world feedback about the ride, noise, comfort,mileage etc and overall review of your ownership with it. Thanks!

Ditto. Maybe you could start a new thread on your Palazzo?
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

Lipets
Explorer
Explorer
Ritchrob wrote:
The stress of having a new 2012 Motor Home that has spent more time at service centers than in my driveway or on the road. I purchased this Motor Home from dealership in Nashville and the whole process started out wrong.

What model is that with all the issues?

Did U think about just taking it Thor?
Newmar 3933

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
My 09 Thor Windsport 32v mad many many items that didnt work. I found the majority at pre inspection and CW took a few iterations to get the bugs out. A year later the awning delaminated and the levelers needed warranty repair. I'm not sure how many of my issues were from Thor or neglect while at CW for 1 year. Thor direct, was excellent to work with.

I think they are of average quality, being a fix it type person will save you much time by not having to deal with the warranty service folks. Having capable warranty service close by is very important. Also, a thorough pre inspection, I spent 2 days on the lot running everything.

Thorough pre inspection, competent warranty service CLOSE BY, and fixing things yourself along with Thor factory support will get you good value. Reliability has been fine since then.

Ritchrob
Explorer
Explorer
The stress of having a new 2012 Motor Home that has spent more time at service centers than in my driveway or on the road. I purchased this Motor Home from dealership in Nashville and the whole process started out wrong.
They were to do several things to the MH before pickup. I gave them two weeks to ready the coach. When I arrived I was told it was ready but indeed it was not. There was no water pressure when using the pump. I had informed the lead service tech that I felt it looked as though the driver side jack did not look as though it was vertical, also they were to install a DirecTV Satellite system. While installing the dish somehow the entire sound system including the dash radio had no audio. Also the dinette seat cushion was defective with the spring in the seat broken. I realize part of this is not Thor’s issue, other than the fact that they are an Authorized Service Center. Long story short, I signed the deal on the MH on Nov 19th. Camping World finally delivered the coach to me December 15th.
It sat in my driveway until February 7th when I drove it 40 mile to the service center. While there it was also taken to Freightliner for an in dash heat problem. I picked the coach up on Feb 22nd. I then had to drive the coach back to the dealer again on Feb 25 because of a jack issue and a leak in the pump for the jacks. It was there until March 28th.
Unsatisfied with the responsiveness of this dealer, being told that they had fixed issue and then to find out they had not fixed it and having to ask again to have the item fixed. Along with the lack of communication from the dealer.
I checked with another dealer and they were an Authorized Service Center. So I drove the coach to them for additional service on April 11th. I was told that service was completed, again it was not and additional time was going to needed to finish repairs along with other items that I had determined that need taken care of . I had been shipped the dinette seat cushion from the dealer in Nashville and took it to local dealer to be installed but it was determined that it doesn’t fit. I still have the dinette cushion stored in my basement. I picked up the MH May 9th.
I finally got to take the MH on trip. Returned and took the MH back to the dealer on May 30. The dealer was to complete the service and the a few things that were added to the warranty list after finally getting to use it. I went to pick it up June the 20th and I drove home to my surprise the entry steps no longer worked, the coach had no battery power. I called dealer and arranged again to bring the coach back in for service. They did fix the battery problem and the step issues but low and behold for the second time of asking for the DVD video does not play on the exterior TV. The TV electronics and surround sound issue all seem to stem from the install of the Satellite system in Nashville. Still is not right. Dealer ordered additional lamp switches for the entry switch panel and I think they have delivered, the trim piece that melted around the docking lamp has been order but is still not delivered. Still have more parts on order so need to take the coach back in for service again. Still waiting on word of the seat cushion and how that is going to get resolved.
While using the Motor Home (August 4-11) during a rare time it was not in the shop. I noticed the air conditioner were not working. I had placed a call to the Thor Support line but had not received a call back until I wrote on the Customer Care Web link for support a day later, it was very hot (over 90 degrees) so I made the decision to call a local service tech (Ricky’s RV Service Sevierville TN.) to see if it could be resolved. It’s a very good thing that I did. It was determined that the units did not have power. The reason that there was no power was that all the neutral wires in the circuit panel had melted. See attached pics. Because this was considered a very serious safety issue, the RV service tech did his best to repair and trim and cut wires to make it safe to continue to use the unit. The casing that holds the circuit breakers has been damaged and will need to be replaced. This was at cost to me of $247.00.
Additional quality issue are the front cap does not line up with the sides of the unit. Wall paper covering above the shower is wrinkled and not in place. The cover over the circuit panel does not flush with the wall. Now there is no power to the TV antenna. Picture attached with winterizing instructions is because it does not state anything of the two valves behind the panel. I think the two valves should be moved to where they are accessible from the outside of the panel. Still not repaired is the fact that there is still no DVD video to exterior TV and the dinette seat cushion. Not sure if its just this one but thinking I am thinking there has to be some sort of quality breakdown.

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2011 Thor Hurricane. Certainly an entry level coach but we love it. Reliability has been high and with over 25000 miles in 2 years we do drive a little. Thor customer service is excellent and quickly answer any questions we have had. By comparison one of our friends just got a very high end Newmar and has had serious issues already. Maybe luck has a little to do with it. Good luck with your decision.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Hound wrote:

We love our coach!!!!

Hey Hound, tried to PM you but couldn't. Would you mind PM'ing me? We are shopping the Palazzo and would love to hear some real world feedback about the ride, noise, comfort,mileage etc and overall review of your ownership with it. Thanks!
2013 ACE 29.2

Hound
Explorer
Explorer

We love our coach!!!!

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
There are better and worse manufacturers of everything.

Tiffin has shipped cracked roofs, rotting wetbays and rotting slide floors in many units. Yet they are still top rated. :h

WILL Bob Tiffin's sons get the same vote of confidence for customer support of poorly designed or manufactured product? Bob has helped many owners.

Bob had to come out of retirement last time he turned it over to his sons from what I have read.

But my real point is how much can these anecdotal posts about good and bad really help all of us. :h

I suspect brand quality posts are all very suspect both good and bad.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

Dave_n_Alice
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we bought a barely used (2000 miles) 2010 Four Winds (Thor) Windsport 32V. It is on a 2009 Ford F53 chassis. I'm not sure why the owners (original) only kept the unit for 5 months but - - -. Since it was a used coach the warranty from Thor was gone. The long and short of this is I needed some information on the unit and doing a few repairs myself (which I enjoy doing) so I contacted a representative at Thor. Now, they owed me nothing but a year and a half later when I have a question about the MH, I am able to contact the same individual and he has been super helpful in providing me information, documentation, parts manufacture contact info. etc. When I have needed a part such as a bathroom sink fixture (which I did replace), I have worked with their local dealer near the factory (Total Value RV) to order original parts so the coach has all original equipment etc. I call that service and support beyond the call. Of course I have had to pay for the parts etc., but everything I have done (and I'm kind of a perfectionist) is, if you will, OEM and very reasonably priced. Bottom line - when we upgrade next, I will consider THOR based on the support I have received on our used coach.

Be aware of one thing, in 2012 Thor made some fairly significant changes in how some models were equiped and manufactured so make your comparisons carefully. Your can go on their website and look at archived literature (specs., standard equpment and options) for all models of motorhomes going back many years.

randco
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
It seems to me that I've seen people say "no way", and I've seen just as many say, "no problems". It does seem that when someone asks for a list of the top manufacturers, Thor doesn't seem to make the cut. I'm not sure I've ever seen Thor on anyone's top list.

We have a Thor product that we're happy with. It's not a higher end unit, but we also didn't pay a higher end price for it. We feel like we got some nice features for the money spent.

I think that within any manufacturer's offerings, you're going to have poor quality issues from time to time. No manufacturer will have 100% satisfaction.
I'd find a Thor/Tuscany owners' forum and ask there. They'll be able to give you first-hand answers.

X2

A Thor product was the top of our list when we started looking for a motorhome about three years ago. We have a Thor DP that we are very happy with.

Actually on a poll thread conducted a couple of years ago on this website Thor gas vehicles were 3rd among those that completed the poll. After Thor was the Monaco line, followed by Tiffin and National. Newmar ended up in 8th position.

Good luck in your search.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Third summer ownership of an 06 Hurricane 31D and I am very satisfied with the coach. The chassis is failure free and I have yet to have anything go wrong with the house side that caused anything more than a mental note to look into it next chance I get.

My thoughts are you have to take each owner and their prospective of a particular coach uniquely. I had the step motor fail the first year I owned the coach. Fixed it myself and didn't think much of it. Others may consider it a catastrophic failure and add it to the ever increasing list of problems. Also what I consider acceptable in terms of quality others may down check the entire manufacturing line. I like the light weight cabinets. Keeps the empty weight of the coach down so I can add more of my stuff to it.

Good luck with the upgrade and whichever manufacture you end up going with.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53