cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to get a new toad

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing our Honda Element (aka "the toaster") and have had absolutely no problems with the car but with cracked seats, mileage, age, it's time to look for a replacement. We want a vehicle with a few more bells and whistles so we've been considering two based on weight/cost/mpg/body style. Chevy's Equinox and Chrysler's Jeep Compass. If you have one of these vehicles have you experienced any issues with them as a toad? On the Equinox, I don't really see where the tow bar would go?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
36 REPLIES 36

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Jeep Wrangler JK (2 door Sport, 6 speed manual)....the mpg sucks (14/19) but its not our daily driver & its FUN. We've had our JK for 3 years now and haven't had any problems (towed it over 20k, 10k on the odometer).

The power on the 2012+ 3.6L pentastar is REALLY good (almost 300hp) at 285 HP.

its easy to tow (especially when using the Mopar integrate factory harness).

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Jeep is rated lowest in quality by Consumers Report. I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I'm a Honda or Toyota fan. On our 6th Toyota and only one was ever in the shop and they paid the repair bill for a new engine. Have run most 230K and 2 Prius or Priii which I guess is plural, 70 K ea and our third is going to go to whatever mileage wears it out.

I also have no faith in CU. They only like foreign cars. I dropped them many years ago when they rated a Ricoh camera TLS401 and from their ratings they did not even read the book that gave some of the highlights of that camera. I bought one for the reasons they never found. Their ratings are not very good in my opinion.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Jeep is rated lowest in quality by Consumers Report. I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I'm a Honda or Toyota fan. On our 6th Toyota and only one was ever in the shop and they paid the repair bill for a new engine. Have run most 230K and 2 Prius or Priii which I guess is plural, 70 K ea and our third is going to go to whatever mileage wears it out.

I stopped paying attention to consumer's report ages ago. I found that their reviews and ratings did not match up to my actual experience. we usually tow our '10 Jeep Liberty but occasionally will tow our '03 Jeep Wrangler. for 7-years the Wrangler was the only toad. both have performed admirably. if the OP is looking at Jeep just be sure that there is a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case.

X2.
I have no faith in them what so ever.

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
While I think I'd love the idea of a super energy efficient vehicle, we haul so much******around wherever we go I'd be afraid there would not be enough room.
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:

I stopped paying attention to consumer's report ages ago. I found that their reviews and ratings did not match up to my actual experience. we usually tow our '10 Jeep Liberty but occasionally will tow our '03 Jeep Wrangler. for 7-years the Wrangler was the only toad. both have performed admirably. if the OP is looking at Jeep just be sure that there is a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
I will take my Jeep JK. any day! We take it everywhere as getting off the beaten path is very fun for us.

Pogoil.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer