cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No rest stops for RVs or Busses

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving from Asheville to Washington, DC yesterday. Coming in to Virginia, I noticed the first rest stop was for cars only. The second rest stop was for trucks only. The third rest stop was for cars only.

Made me wonder what RVs and Busses are supposed to do.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
23 REPLIES 23

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We have car license plates and are 60' long with toad. So suspect we can use either depending on space available.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I would use any of the rest stops shown above.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
I pull into the "Trucks Only" rest stops. No problem. Because I'm over 50' long I avoid the "Cars Only".
Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

Karenys
Explorer
Explorer
In California, we just pull into the truck parking area. We might not be as tall as some of the commercial rigs, but certainly are long with a F350 and 32' 5th wheel. No one has ever complained.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We are a approx 60' and we have stopped at pretty much each and every rest area on I-81, both north and south over the years, including cars only and trucks only. Even the first one on I-81N is usable unless there is another RV already there.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into that too. What I found on some of these rest stops the sign for what looks like only directing the cars to park is up front and if you pull in some of these all the way you will find a sign directing the trucks around back.

Not always but I found it worth the circle thru to find out. Most did have an area around back for big rigs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
Actually the first rest area that says cars no trucks you can use. The second one that says cars only is too small. All the others you can use.
Thanks for the tip. I looked it up and you are correct. Here's the first one

and Here's the second

Apparently, they are at least angled parking spots, but no room for busses on the second one unless the last two spots are free.

Here is the truck stop between them.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Trucks only rest area a number of times... We like it, because:
A) plenty of room - pull thru truck spots
B) Constant activity - eyes everywhere
C) patrolled by DOT & State Troopers
D) well lit
E) easy access & egress
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
As one who sometimes has that very important purpose at the worst time ....somehow or other I always manage to find a place....it's amazing how much we can think something out when something is under pressure...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually the first rest area that says cars no trucks you can use. The second one that says cars only is too small. All the others you can use.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are a few rest areas in the southwestern portion of VA in the northbound lanes that were built many years ago and just do not have space for larger vehicles. Once you get to the I-81/I-77 junction at Wytheville, the opportunities improve. I believe one of the largest rest stops is Ironto.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:
Just checking these are the same rest areas where they found the D.C. sniper? The on ramps keep looking better.

they found that bonehead in a Maryland (i70) rest area.
He also shot someone off an i95 Exit down near ashland (no virginia rest areas & nowhere near i81)
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Just checking these are the same rest areas where they found the D.C. sniper? The on ramps keep looking better.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen RVs (and trucks) pull through a cars only rest area and park on the exit ramp. It's better than setting the cruise control and performing that "very important purpose".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox